Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Had they used the original mixes, even if 'only' for 12 tracks (that's still a pretty big number IMO) I would have bought it. So that's one less sold, not that it matters much but still.

artfromtex, Flaming Torch and ClausH like this.
  2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

I guess my main gripe is that it could and probably should have been a much cheaper Legacy release, that said I really enjoy the 7" art work and as you quite rightly point out, the sound quality is outstanding.

Pants Party likes this.
  3. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yeah, if the original single mixes had been included I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

artfromtex and Flaming Torch like this.
  4. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

It's meant to be part of the classic album series. And yet the classic album isn't even included because they used the wrong versions! And everything else is available elsewhere. So for £23 you get basically the first two discs of the 70s box which you already have!

S. P. Honeybunch and Shawn like this.
  5. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Yeah, I primarily bought it for the mastering and art work. :D That and I wanted a great 2-disc compilation of course! Too lazy to make my own comp, and while picking something else up on a sale, I figured, why not grab that yellow beauty!

They don't have sales no more... :mad:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Dave Hoos and hodgo like this.
  6. Pants Party

All true. Though, pretty much the only Elvis sets I don't have are the "decades" ones. Oddly enough.

Plus I don't know if the original album mixes would have been a deal breaker for me either way. I certainly would have preferred it, from a collector's perspective. And it would have made FTD fans more accepting of the release, perhaps -- although I wonder if they would have then complained about all the bonus tracks being something they already had anyway.

So in a way, this release was doomed from the start. And as Hodgo and others have said -- probably a better Legacy product. Although the 7-inch FTD classic album package really makes it special. So it's an oddball. Which is kind of what FTD is for. LOL!

o_O

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    hodgo likes this.
  7. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

I definitely don't think it should have been an FTD release. Nothing about it suggests that it was not suitable for the mainstream market, which is what FTD is for really. And it's not like there's a really good 2 disc 70s compilation out there at mainstream anyway. It would have filled a gap far more than the endless greatest hits albums, or the Elvis party album that we had a few years back!

hodgo likes this.
  8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Me too I would also buy it straightaway if it had the original as released album on cd. One of about 5 FTD cd releases I do not have.

Bit of topic but having a sort out. Amazing Grace the 2 cd compilation from the early/mid 90s. Are the 5 gospel songs from the 31st March 72 rehearsal still unreleased anywhere else? Officially as I think they are on the big 72 On Tour boot. I know they are on the triple Peace in Valley cd which I do not have.
    I would like a tidying up exercise by FTD/Sony. They could have gone on the He Touched Me FTD classic album (I know they are from later on but in my opinion that would be ok).

9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Flaming Torch likes this.
  10. What about "I Believe - The Complete Gospel Masters"? The sound is certainly much improved!

Flaming Torch and hodgo like this.
  11. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

You are correct. They are on that set too.

Flaming Torch and SteveM like this.
  12. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks had no idea this existed - a Sony product which I guess uses all the latest remasters and seems to hoover up everything. Also in chronological order which I prefer.

13. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

"Peace In The Valley" set is where I first discovered the dropouts on some of the recordings.

14. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

As I've just posted on FECC, despite a few reservations stemmed from reviews here and there, you know what? I'm glad I bought 'Off - On Stage' after all, as it is quite a solid release.
    Admittedly, the run time is a little on the short side but the sound is excellent and there really are some good performances. If your looking to fritter away £23+ and you love the 'On Stage' season, it's certainly worth a punt... :agree:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  15. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

They must be scrapping the barrel a bit now with these FTD releases? Interesting to see they haven't released any On Tour concerts or an Aloha revamp as yet. I would definitely buy those.

Pants Party likes this.
  16. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

17. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Hep Alien, Dave Hoos, Tord and 3 others like this.
  18. Pants Party

A lot of folks have been asking about the On Tour multi-tracks for quite awhile. The only reason I can think of, is Sony (not FTD) has set it aside for some reason. But its pretty high on the list, and would certainly make some decent FTDs. As would any of the 68-72 shows they have lying around.

I would love a revamped Aloha! But yeah, it's barrel scrapping time after that for sure.

MarkusGermany and Mark87 like this.
  19. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I'm really curious as to why they won't (or can't) release the On Tour shows. Been an Elvis fan my whole life and have enjoyed FTD from day 1. There's honestly nothing i'm looking forward to than these shows. As stated above, it's all barrel scrapping now. I'm not complaining though, there's 160+ releases. Not bad for a guy that only recorded 23 years!

Dave Hoos and Mark87 like this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Is there a old cd (or combination of old cds) that contains the mono mixes from the Hits Of The 70's?

21. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

I wish they'd release more concerts from 69-72. Don't get me wrong I love anything to do with Elvis but I find the concerts from '73 (after Aloha) to be very similar and uninspiring. There are a few exceptions, a couple of good shows in '75 I enjoyed and circa December '76, Elvis In Concert I really like although controversial.
    An On Tour boxset like the one's in the Dylan camp put out regularly containing a handful of the best shows which were recorded would be amazing. Maybe a remastered Aloha and Aloha-rehearsal package too... We can keep dreaming in the meantime.

Hep Alien and RSteven like this.
  22. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

If they do Aloha, I would love to get the quad mix on a blu ray.

They really could make a nice Aloha boxed set. Containing both shows, remixes, quad mixes in hi resolution, all the video content, etc.

23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is curious to say the least. In the past, the understanding was MGM owned the rights to the footage and had rights to the audio, while RCA also had rights to the audio. RCA released "An American Trilogy" from Hampton Roads and the rehearsal of "Always On My Mind" on the "This Is Elvis" soundtrack back in 1981. Later, BMG issued the entire San Antonio concert via the "Close Up" box set and FTD issued various rehearsals via "6363 Sunset" and "On Tour Rehearsals." Most recently, "Separate Ways" and "Burning Love" were issue on "The Searcher" soundtrack.

For years Ernst stated Sony (BMG before it) was holding off on releasing the majority of the "On Tour" tapes because it wanted to release the material in conjunction with a reissue of the film. Then the Blu-Ray release of "On Tour" came and went, and Sony did nothing with the audio. Granted, it was not an expansive, deluxe DVD reissue, but it was a release that contained a healthy marketing and promotional campaign. If Sony indeed wanted to take advantage of such a campaign, it dropped the ball be letting it pass because there is nothing to suggest "On Tour" will ever be released in expansive form, and the Blu-Ray reissue was an opportunity Sony had been waiting for.

Late last year in a Q&A, Ernst stated that "On Tour" will not be released in the near future and that it is tied up because Sony needs the permission of MGM and the Estate to release the audio. That of course makes no sense, and only adds confusion. Perhaps there is some sort of ownership dispute between MGM and Sony over the audio (something that has not been alluded to in the past), but the Estate has no ownership stake in Elvis' 1970's era recordings. Furthermore, RCA/BMG/Sony has issued the material in question on a number of occasions, likely without MGM's involvement, so there seems to be a contradiction. All Ernst did with the Q&A is muddy the waters.

Hep Alien, hodgo, Dave Hoos and 3 others like this.
  24. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

That would just be amazing!

25. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

It definitely is a strange situation and one that hopefully gets resolved. Like you've mentioned they've issued one of the concerts on the Close Up box set so it's a mystery as to why the Hampton, Richmond and Greensboro concerts are still in the vaults. I guess I'll have to stick with the bootlegs for now.

Flaming Torch, hodgo and Dave Hoos like this.