Japan import cd stores in the USA?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Scott Sheagren, Apr 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy. Thread Starter

Are there any US online stores that sell import cds from Japan?

2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

That's a good question. I don't know of any. Bullmoose.com will often list Japan CDs, but they almost never stock them - if you buy from them, you're basically asking them to order them from Japan for you, if they can even get them, and the prices usually reflect that (i.e. they are relatively expensive).

I've had great luck with CDJapan - decent prices, multiple shipping options including some reasonably priced options, and fantastic shipping packaging.

I also just placed my first-ever order from Amazon Japan, and it was excellent. I placed the order on Friday March 30. They shipped it out from Japan on March 31, and it was delivered to my door before noon today (April 2) - shockingly fast!

Shipping wasn't cheap, but not real bad either, about $10. I ordered two CDs. One of them was literally unavailable anywhere else - not even eBay, discogs, or CDJapan. And the other one was 1/3 the price of the only other copy I could find (which was from a US seller on eBay).

So I got both CDs from Amazon Japan for only $6 more than the one CD would have been by itself from the US-based eBay seller. And I got them much faster than that eBay CD would've reached me via the included "economy shipping."

The Amazon CDs also arrived wrapped in plastic, secured down to a cardboard sheet, which was inside a decent-sized box.

So my recommendation is CDJapan and Amazon Japan.

lightbulb and Scott Sheagren like this.
  3. Scott Sheagren

Thanks.
    Finding Judas Priest Japan import 1990 cds were not hard but wanna find the Iron Maiden Japan import cds which seem to be hard to find cheap

tmtomh likes this.
  4. Scott Sheagren

Maybe I’ll start buying from amazon Japan!

tmtomh likes this.
  5. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Ah, I see. If you're talking older, 1980s/early '90s Japan CDs, which are going to be used most likely, definitely check discogs first - that's usually the best source (except if someone here happens to list them in the Classifieds). But if you're looking to purchase multiple CDs, a Japan-based seller makes sense because the per-CD shipping cost is more reasonable than paying to ship a single CD from Japan.

Indeed! Just one caveat: Both my CDs were sold directly by Amazon Japan. I can't vouch for what the experience would be like buying from Amazon Marketplace sellers in Japan.

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  6. Scott Sheagren

Thanks man for the help!
    I wanna get some of my thrash albums like overkill and Anthrax Iron Maiden and Megadeth from Japan.it seems they sound better then the USA masters.

tmtomh likes this.
  7. Scott Sheagren

I understand!
    You have been a big help I love this website and people like you for the help!

tmtomh likes this.
  8. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Anybody remember a place in L.A. called "CD Bonzai" back in the 1980s? I went there once and nearly fainted from the sticker shock.

9. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Heck, yeah...I remember that place. I walked out with a Japanese pressing of McCartney's Tug of War and my 6-year-old daughter walked out with one their hats. They gave it to her because she was so well-behaved while I was shopping.

lightbulb and ManFromCouv like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

always check CdJapan first!

11. Scott Sheagren

Thank you

Michael likes this.
  12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

CDJapan is very thorough and reliable, but they only stock in-print titles. Japanese reissues do seem to have a limited shelf life.

tmtomh and Scott Sheagren like this.
  13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

14. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed, you're welcome...there have been occasions when the CD or BD was cheaper shipped from cdJapan! great, great company.

16. Scott Sheagren

wow thanks people!imports from japan have some incedible sound compared to some usa versions.not all of them but some.

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I've been there! Used to do morning radio in Bakersfield, occasionally I would drive down after my Friday show and just drive around; but, naturally my first instinct was to look up music stores and visit.

As I recall, it was a smallish store, only big enough...to hold a million hours of music, on those little silvery things. If you'd have asked me five years ago, I might have even been able to tell you what I bought,
    but, this was the mid-80's...:shrug:

18. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

Well worth checking out, a lot of products have actual pictures and a lot of second hand stuff.

tmtomh likes this.
  19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Holy moly - just did a search on Led Zeppelin and if that's any indication, they have a crazy amount of stuff: Japan promo copies with obi, laserdiscs, posters and handbills, new old stock sealed items, bootlegs, and more. Not cheap, but most of it not unreasonably expensive either.

Only downside is that their entire site interface is entirely Flash-based - a real dog to navigate.

Thanks for the tip on this great resource!

20. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

No problems! I have found many items here over the years. Very friendly and regular email updates on new items if you sign up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.