Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

This post is too relatable. I mean, I only bought the Starbucks CD of Gaslight last spring, and now it looks like that is getting re-released.

Or at least to Jeff Rosen's...

2. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

I think there will be a fair share of grousing (I mean, Dylan fans are known for our ascerbic and articulate dissatisfaction!*) but what may set these Dylan archives apart is that Prince and The Beatles have a history of (from fans' perspective) hoarding. While at times that's felt true of the Dylan camp there has tended to be less futzing. Beyond that, these last few years the floodgates have been blown so wide open that it would be hard to complain because they have proven they know what the fan wants and that there’s a market with open wallets.

Of course, in the case of Big Blue, Live 1966, Basement Tapes they were bumping up against the same copyright issues that led to the "copyright collections" and that wouldn't apply here. Theoretically they could "get away with" a mid-level set and hold off until that copyright is on the cusp. I suspect the consensus here, Dylan's camp and Sony is yo strike while the iron is hot, while the ears still work, and while there are still sales in physical digital.

That doesn’t guarantee an exhaustive set but I personally believe we won’t get a stingy one either. There are far, far better prognosticators in this thread than I could ever be who are whetting my appetite with compelling if incomplete possible approaches that would frustrate almost as much as delight.

They've come a long way from the overpriced experiment of the Tell-Tale Signs 3-disc "deluxe." Speaking of which, I personally can’t wait for the Tell-Tale Signs Super Deluxe Holy Grail Editon!

*I don’t want to imagine the cantankerous debates over the Sinatra and Xmas Bootleg Series!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I'm not so sure they won't hold a bunch of material as long as they can. If there is really a No Direction Home pt2 covering this era, surely they would a set for that, including a few teasers of what BOTT tracks have never been heard before, whilst saving the full set.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The month-long sessions to record "Wiggle, Wiggle" might end up being covered by at least three Bootleg Series volumes.

In his attempt to get Wiggle Wiggle just right, Dylan explored the full history of rhythm and blues stylings. He used several voices that he never used in public before, and went through more than 30 sidemen.

The song held great personal meaning for Dylan, who feared the day when he could no longer wiggle.

The issued take was the very first take from the first date.

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Then there was the attempted cut of Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle, which couldn't be properly document on tape because of too much wiggle in the waveforms. He had to take it down a notch.

Tribute likes this.
  6. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

Actually, funnily enough, there is a Wiggle Wiggle outtake story. Supposedly Slash was only on the promotional copies of the album and only on that song, when asked about it he said Bob screwed him, wiped him off the released album, said he sounded too much like Guns N Roses "so why'd he hire me?".

I have the promotional tape though, and I can't tell the difference between it and the LP version.

Sean Murdock and Tribute like this.
  7. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I have never heard that there was ever a different promo version for the song and searchingforagem.com does not reference any alternate mix or version as being released.

They might not have used some of what was recorded at the sessions in the officially released mix, but I don’t believe that any alternate mix or variation was ever released (promo or otherwise).

Tribute likes this.
  8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Well, Slash is on the album, playing the acoustic guitar (which was overdubbed too, as there is a bootleg without it) but his solo was wiped like you said. Never heard about it being on a promo album, and to my knowledge a mix with Slash's solo has never been heard by the public

Slash explains why Bob Dylan once refused to use his solo

"“I put what I thought was one of my better one-off solos on there,” Slash tells CBS Radio. “Then I took off home, and I said: ‘Send me a rough mix, whenever you get one.’ So, Don had the tape messengered over a couple days later, and I’m listening to it. It’s the song ‘Wiggle Wiggle,’ and it’s a very sort of innocuous song in the first place [chuckles], and so here comes the solo section — and it’s just acoustic. There’s a pointless acoustic section, then the song kicked back in.”"

Seems like Slash's solo never even made it into a proper mix!

Percy Song and Tribute like this.
  9. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Slash re-recorded a version of it with Aaron Freeman (Gene Ween) for the Dylan in the 80’s tribute album, so I guess he finally got to hear the song with his solo in it!
    I wonder if it was note for note redone?

Crispy Rob and Tribute like this.
  10. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

I always thought that the guitar notes at the start of Wiggle Wiggle [0:06] is Slash.

11. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

The only other version existing (bootleg) is a rough early mix, without any electric guitar.

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Dylan's management, take note.

There seems to be enough interest in making "The Wiggle Wiggle Sessions" the very first Bootleg Series Volume to focus on just one tune.

Six CDs. I predict it will lead to great revisionism among the critics.

13. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

The story goes that Bob said to Mr. Slash before the session started, "I want you to play it like Django Reinhardt," which confused the poor chap. Instead of doing as he was requested, he played it like Slash and suffered the consequences.

#

14. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

this thread has been derailed.

asdf35 likes this.
  15. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Need to get it back On The Tracks!

16. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Indeed! I'm working on Big Red CD 1 right now (with photos!) - and I'll need some help from people with decent hearing when I've compiled it.

But the Django Reinhardt story above does bear some relationship to the first BOTT session in New York:-

Tom McFaul (keyboard player): I don't have perfect pitch...so I would go up to the piano to find out what key he was in. Dylan would stop me:

"We don't want the piano, we want the organ."

"I know, I'm just trying to figure what key we are...."
    "We don't want the piano, we want the organ".
    "Yes sir!"

I would go back to the B-3, which was way on the other side of the studio, and (where) I could not hear, and hope like hell we were in A major.

No one treats Dylan session players like Dylan :)

#

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  17. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

A post on Expecting Rain, October 2012:

From the record store day description of the Duquesne Whistle single:
    Duquesne Whistle appears on "Tempest". B-side is a previously unreleased version of Meet Me In The Morning from the Blood on the Tracks sessions and is a forthcoming track from The Bootleg Series Volume 11.

That set has been on the shelf for a while.

asdf35 likes this.
  18. slane

slane Forum Resident

As every song that is (so far) available from the NY sessions are all in the same key (E major), I'd say there's a very good chance that McFaul was playing in the wrong key :)

NumberEight and DeeThomaz like this.
  19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

If we assume that BS 14 is going to be the BOTT NY sessions, does anyone have any suggestions on how the set should be configured / sequenced?

For example, I have been kind of assuming that the 2 disc set could be the mystical demos on disc 1, with an alternative version of the album out on disc 2.

I know many people here are keen that the deluxe edition includes every take in a similar way to Cutting Edge. So should the deluxe edition just run chronologically through the sessions or include an alternative version of the album? Any thoughts?

20. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Ideally this, realizing a lot of it is a dream:

Big Red Complete: Everything in chronological order, plus cd/vinyl version of the pulled "acetate" release, plus speed corrected version of official release (if speeding up was not intended), plus live compilation of BOTT songs from Rolling Thunder. Note: "Everything" includes the unheard first solo acoustic session mentioned in Rolling Stone article.

6 Disc Version: Disc #1: First solo acoustic session mentioned in RS article. Disc #2, #3, maybe #4: Best of the NY sessions. Disc #4 (maybe), #5: Best of the Minnesota sessions. Disc 6: Pulled "Acetate" release.

2 Disc Version: Best of everything, perhaps split by minimal acoustic sessions and full band sessions.

redsock, Percy Song, Jimmy B. and 4 others like this.
  21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Is there anything corroborate Chris Weber's claim in Simple Twist of Fate that Dylan himself overdubbed the mandolin part on "If You See Her, Say Hello" during the Sound 80 sessions, after Peter Ostroushko was reportedly unable to quite achieve what Dylan was hearing in his head?

Weber's account is detailed, and comes across as credible. But it still seems unusual to me.

IronWaffle and smoke like this.
  22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Or even if it was.

Cf. Caroline, No, When I'm Sixty-Four, etc.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

So BOTT was sped up?

24. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

That interview's not the one I remember. I have it around here somewhere probably, I cut it out of a newspaper or magazine or something. From memory he says "yeah I did Dylan, and he screwed me" and says specifically that even on the promotional copies of the album he was on it. I'll check out my tape and compare it to the LP version again just to check. (Edit: it's definitely the same as the released version.)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  25. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

But he wasn't all that far off, really. If the songs were in E major and he was noodling around in A major the only note that would be off would be the D, which would properly need to be sharp. Someone with better theory than I have would know the details and could explain better, but I think he would mostly have been OK, as long as he was just noodling in the background if he didn't dwell on the D or if his ear nudged him to the D# when necessary.

L.