Let us now praise The J. Geils Band..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by samthesham, Jun 13, 2018.

1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

never saw them live unfortunately. A buddy who did see them, said the crowd got so out of control at th show he saw bottles were flying all over (not just at the stage) in exultation; they had to stop the show so Wolf could tell people to cool down before someone got hurt.

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

3. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Great opening post, Samthesham. JGB's omission from the HOF shows that to be the sham that it is. JGB is more rnr than much of what is there. Jann Wenner...I started reading the bio that came out last year and had to stop because he was a jerk.

I had all the JGB records until the mid-70s and then I musta got lost. I didn't care for the Centerfold/ Love Stinks 80s era.

I wonder what people's opinion of the 2 CD Rhino Anthology is. I wished for much more weight to the earlier years when they were the greatest show but I guess that's what the individual CDs are for.

I did not know there were two 5 classic album collections out there. Really? I have to check those out.

4. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I absolutely love their albums up to & including their finest in Monkey Island. Their move to EMI & the Sanctuary album a backward step & I find the big selling commercial albums that followed to be totally unlistenable.
    J Geils was always an underappreciated guitarist of great taste. I really enjoy his later works with Magic Dick (Bluestime) & his ventures into jazz alongside some other great underappreciated guitarists in Gerry Beaudoin & Duke Robillard

mikmcmee likes this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The Rhino compilation is necessary to obtain some of the non-lp tracks but they omitted some as well.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

7. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I saw J Geils on a bill with Yes in 1972 at the esteemed Kleinhans Music Hall in Buffalo. I believe the JGB was banned after that show because people were dancing on the upholstered seats. It was a near fun riot. I am sure Yes were not eager to follow.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

the cover of Dead Presidents is essential

9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I was 10 years old in 1981 and heard Freeze Frame at a friend's house. Immediately after hearing it I begged my Mom to let me buy it. To that point she had only let me buy the occasional single or K-Tel comps because she was afraid I'd buy the album and only like one song. But this one I heard all the way through and knew I had to have all the songs.

She relented and it became the first ALBUM I ever owned. I still have it.

As an aside, J. himself was a regular customer in the restaurant where I worked in high school.

I think the album still sounds good today.

jeffd7030 and JasonA like this.
  10. Kingsley Fats

Yes & J Geils Band are 2 bands that I really like but to see both on the same bill would be a strange thing to witness.

stevemoss, ARK and jeffd7030 like this.
  11. Kingsley Fats

Whammer Jammer is my ringtone on my mobile phone. Except for the wife hers is Hound Dog Taylor.

jeffd7030 likes this.
  12. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

If J Geils Band never did anything other than "Full House", their place in rock history would still be secure.

One of the greatest rock and roll albums ever, in my opinion.

13. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

One of the best rock & roll bands, featuring one of the best frontmen, America ever produced. The only mistakes they ever made, in my book anyway, is doing the record without Wolf and waiting too long to reunite.

14. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

First, how do you know that the band won't allow Rhino to issue a complete version of Full House? Second, it would be nice, but I don't think that there's a huge market for it at the moment. If & when they get into the HOF, then maybe...

15. I saw them in 1971 at the Michigan State Fair. It was a long time ago, but I remember they did a smokin' cover of "Where Did Our Love Go" by the Supremes that would have blown the roof off, if there was a roof.

Bowland, Shvartze Shabbos and c-eling like this.
  16. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Damn good band for sure, really dig them, but I can only imagine what seeing them live was live based on everyone’s recollection; from the sound of it, the albums pale in comparison.

17. Kingsley Fats

Fairly well documented that the band had a pretty decent disagreement with Rhino when Rhino announced that they were going to release an expanded version of Full House without the consent or input from the band.

The HOF is irrelevant misguided & hopelessly out of step. It fails to represent everything that it supposably represents. It is a wonderful reflection of the music industry rather than the music itself.
    A monument to the decline in music sales & the ego of Jan Wenner & his rubbish magazine.

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Years ago, we had a thread on the double set when it was announced. Someone printed Rhino's response when they were asked about the cancellation. IIRC, Wolf later posted on his website that this was all done without his permission, no one had asked. He added he would be up for releasing any unreleased songs still in the vaults (Messin' With the Kid, maybe?)

marmil, John Fell and Kingsley Fats like this.
  19. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Growing up near Detroit I was fortunate enough to see the J Geils Band about twenty times beginning in 1972 as arena headliners and stadium openers. They never dissappointed and they came around every six months or so. I still live near Detroit and never missed any of their reunion shows there which began in 1999 and continued for a decade until Jay bailed out and they started suing each other. The now J. Geil-less Band still performs in Detroit occasionally and opened for Seger's 2015 tour. It's interesting that Jay was a minimal player of modest skill but the vibe/groove changed after he left. Wolf and the other guys play all the right notes and hit the right marks but the overall presentation simply doesn't FEEL quite the same. The J. Geils Band is ingrained in my DNA so I know I'm not imagining it. Much the same as the Stones after Bill left.

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe the band said something like the running order of the album was as intended and adding songs would change it. I don't see why they couldn't just put all of the unissued songs from the show on a second disc. Fans could then burn their own cdr with the correct concert running order.

21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Rhino apparently didn't clear the project with the band first, so they would not allow the release. See my above post.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    marmil and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  22. The greatest band to ever emerge from the greatest city in the world . . . Woostah!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Love the band and was lucky too see a couple of concerts in the early seventies. Something else to see live.

John Fell and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  24. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

Growing up in Southern New England in the 70's-80's, JGB was THE party band. Was someone having a house party? Then there was plenty of JGB crankin'. I never got to see them in concert, but from friends who did, these were near legendary shows that had the venue shaking and the crowd delirious.

I had my brush with fame in the mid 80's, working in a package store on Boylston Street in Boston. One night Peter Wolf struts in, grabs a 6-pack of Rolling Rock and asks me for a bottle of vodka. I recognized him instantly, and had the most basic of conversation, something along these lines:

Me - Hi. You're Peter Wolf.

PW - Yup.

Me - Anything else?

PW - Nope.

Me - $10 (or whatever).

PW pays, I give him booze and change.

Me - Have a good one.

PW - You too man.

stevemoss, ARK, BDC and 9 others like this.
  25. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK Dylan it ain't but when I asked Seth the inspiration behind the song he stated "Paint the picture anyway you see it,just like the best rocknroll man" so I chose to view the song as yet another hidden agenda from the U.S. government,water pollution fish jumpin out of the water bodies disappearing all because of another U.S. government ruse....

As for Monkey Island being a great JGB song I still disagree...

For me it has always been overly long & somewhat tedious with a shallow lyrical content...plodding along at a too slow pace not unlike the prog-rock of the same era

mikmcmee and Rockford & Roll like this.