The Double Album that should have happened?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stax o' wax, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

The Shaggs' "Further Adventures of the Pal Known as Foot Foot."

2. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

3. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Chicago V, 1972
    Chicago VI, 1973

Standard LPs those two years kinda left a big hole in the catalog... ;-)

gregorya likes this.
  4. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Lou Reed - Berlin. Was planned as a double and even advertised as one in early press ads before RCA chickened out & asked for a single LP. Let's hope the double as intended will come out thanks to Laurie.

Flippikat and raimiz1991inc like this.
  5. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

ELO - Secret Messages (is happening later this year. 35 years late)

6. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I have to say A Farewell To Kings & Hemispheres would have made one hell of a double album.

anth67, Dudley Morris and stax o' wax like this.
  7. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I think none of the above. There is always fluff to sift out in quality control. I love Crimson, but would we need another 10 minute intricate instrumental after Fracture?

8. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

When The Long Run was first released I only liked four songs ("In The City", "The Disco Strangler", "Those Shoes" and "The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks". The rest of the songs were either too mellow or too slow for my liking. It may have taken me three decades, but I now like the entire album (save for "The Sad Cafe"), but expanding the album to a double might put it in the same category as Bruce's The River -- a bloated double album. In both cases, I prefer a concise single album to an underwhelming double album.

I think The Who could have had a hit double album with the Lifehouse project, but I don't know who else from the list above could have pulled it off successfully. Led Zeppelin and Stevie Wonder got it right.

9. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

The Really Long Run... ;)

skisdlimit and Mike Reynolds like this.
  10. I consider anything over 60 minutes to be a double album. So many CDs qualify . . . .

11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I was also thinking Deep Purple. Even if it was MKII, I wonder if they could have pulled off a double album combining their heavy rock with more of Jon Lord's classical excursions (which virtually disappeared from the band after the Concerto).

12. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Easily Blue Oyster Cult

footlooseman likes this.
  13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

As I mentioned in another thread, the Byrds were supposed to do a double album after The Notorious Byrd Brothers. Roger McGuinn's vision was a chronologically structured album with one side of folk and bluegrass, one side of country, one side of rock and jazz, and one side of experimental synthesizer music. Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman teamed up and talked McGuinn into just making a single country album, so we got Sweetheart of the Rodeo which is one of my all time favorite country albums but I always felt frustrated by the cancellation of what could have been a truly monumental double album.

peachyg72 likes this.
  14. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Made in Japan, albeit live, is the definitive Deep Purple album, so for me no need for another double album.

Old Rusty and JensC like this.
  15. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

Vapour Trails feels like a triple album it’s that dense :laugh:

zen likes this.
  16. sleeptalker

sleeptalker Forum Resident

King Crimson, with the Wetton & Bruford line up.

footlooseman and CBS 65780 like this.
  17. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

King Crimson
    Larks' Tongues line up.
    That'd be awesome!

sleeptalker likes this.
  18. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Purple's Stormbringer was supposed to be a double album, at outset, but not sure anyone (including the band) needs more Stormbringer !

dirie and jon9091 like this.
  19. Elson Quick

Elson Quick Well-Known Member

Forgive another off-menu meal here, but I can't think of any other way of sharing this, as it's not perhaps worth a thread of its own. Van Morrison's Hard Nose The Highway was slated to be a double album until Warner nixed it. Some of the tracks Van scraped into the bin appeared scattered about on The Philosopher's Stone (although the sketchy sleeve notes are little help) and a couple found their way onto bootlegs. I'd always found the (single) album to be a little disjointed, or inconsistent in tone, or something, but after spending a lot of time assembling what the double might have been, paying particular attention to the sequencing, it makes a lot more sense, and it's a great listen. I'm left with the feeling that Mr Morrison's original instincts were on the money. Have a look at the sleeve what I done did (using a contemporary shot), and consider the running order. There's a kind of loose conceptual structure to it, from the music-biz bitterness of the first side through to the reconciliation of the fourth.
    Imgur

jwoverho likes this.
  20. jiggy22

jiggy22 Forum Resident

Just listened to a radio interview with Carl Wilson from the Spring of 1976. There, he states that the new, as-of-yet untitled album (which would eventually become 15 Big Ones) was originally intended to be a double album, with one LP dedicated to “oldies” and the other dedicated to “newies”. For the “newies”, we’ve got:

1. It’s O.K.
    2. Had to Phone Ya
    3. That Same Song
    4. TM Song
    5. Everyone’s in Love with You
    6. Back Home
    7. Short Skirts (Lacking lead vocal)
    8. Lisa
    9. Pacific Ocean Blues
    10. River Song
    11. Holy Man (Lacking lead vocal)

As well as tracks that had been previously recorded by the group, which were later intended for release on future albums:

12. Games Two Can Play
    13. When Girls Get Together
    14. San Miguel
    15. HELP is on the Way
    16. Loop de Loop
    17. My Solution
    18. Susie Cincinnati
    19. Good Time
    20. Seasons in the Sun

As well as the slew of covers produced by Brian at the time:

21. Rock and Roll Music
    22. Chapel of Love
    23. Talk to Me
    24. Palisades Park
    25. A Casual Look
    26. Blueberry Hill
    27. In the Still of the Night
    28. Just Once in My Life
    29. Come Go with Me
    30. On Broadway
    31. Running Bear
    32. On Broadway
    33. Shake, Rattle and Roll
    34. Peggy Sue
    35. Michael Row the Boat Ashore
    36. Secret Love
    37. Let’s Dance
    38. Workin’ in the Coalmine
    39. Come to the Sunshine
    40. Don’t Fight the Sea
    41. Mony Mony
    42. Sea Cruise

Knowing just how much quality material the group had at the time just makes you realize how big of a disappointment the final album actually is!

Dark Horse 77 and jwoverho like this.
  21. From the list-
    King Crimson
    Blue Oyster Cult

22. From the list I'd pick King Crimson. Maybe a half songs/half improvisations approach would have worked for the Wetton/Bruford/Cross line up.

footlooseman likes this.
  23. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Thinking about this, regarding the bands in the OP's listed suggestions -

As bombastic, produced and composed as the likes of Queen or King Crimson were, they exercised great economy in how they presented their finished albums.

I can say as a lifelong Queen fan, and as a fan of KC, that they both put their energy towards completing their albums with the best material they could produce in any given period. Neither have reels upon reels of outtakes. If an idea was solid, it got used. If it wasn't, then they didn't pursue it further. If KC/Fripp had wanted to do a double, they could have - so much was drawn from live improvised material. The live-based pieces as are they included on their original albums hold up just fine as they are.

I'm also glad Who's Next wasn't a double, as Pete Townshend has often since expressed his regret that it wasn't. The outtakes from that period are awesome, too. But Glyn Johns had the right idea and, in turn, produced what I regard as one of the few "perfect" albums of any era.

Humbuster and skisdlimit like this.
  24. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Well, at least it had a an awesome cover design... ;)

[​IMG]

25. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Bowie should have made 'Pin-ups' a double. Love that album and it leaves you wanting more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.