Purchasing TD-150MK2 And Need Advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mezeno, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mezeno

Mezeno New Member Thread Starter

Hi all.
    Long time lurker, and just joined forum. I am about to purchase a Thorens TD-150MK2 that is in good condition and have a few questions regarding basic cleaning, cartridge/stylus, and minor upgrades.

I do not have a desire to make any major modifications to the TT, but I do want to try an ensure the best sound possible while keeping my orginal TP 13A tone arm. I read this thread: Thorens TD150 MKII Vs modern entry level TT and saw that better isolation feet and rca jacks would likely be good upgrades and also saw that Dr. J spoke highly of the AT125 cartridge. My questions are as follows:

1. Would an upgrade such as a new plinth be worth the cost and does it take away too much from the pure originality of the TT? I would be perfectly happy just re-enforcing the original plinth and adding new veneer if that is acceptable.
    2. Would you change the isolation feet and rca jacks? If so, which would you suggest?
    3. I know that this has been discussed ad nauseam, but which cartridge would you suggest for the orginal TP 13A? (FYI - presently, the turntable will be run through a Yamaha CR-840 to Vienna Acoustics Schonberg speakers).
    4. Is there a substantial advantage to changing the tonearm head?
    5. Is a record stabilizer a good idea, or with it add too much weight?
    6. Do you have any other suggestions?

Glad to be here, and thanks in advance for any input.

2. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I had an old 150 and loved it with a Shure M91ed. I now have a VN 150. I’d get good feet for improved isolation for sure. No specific recommendations. I use what Dave supplied. The table is very stable. My understanding is that in addition to the new plinth the VN conversion includes enhanced damping within. The VN plinth is very nice but visually not a lot different from the old TD150 so I am doubtful it has as much sonic impact as things I cannot see. I have a Bren weight and it doesn’t seem to make a noticeable sonic difference but my records tend to be heavy, flat newer pressings. If you have a lot of older and thinner records it makes sense. Bottom line is all 150s are IMO great tables and good values.

3. Mezeno

Tim,
    Thank you for your reply. I do have a lot of older original pressings, so a weight might be in order. Obviously, I will clean and re-oil the main bearing and inner axle. I will also try to remove as many scratches as I can from the cover.

Any thoughts on refinishing my plinth? It would be pretty easy to sand and oil or restain. I also have a steamer that should be able to take any small dents in the wood.

Here are some pics that my help with suggestions.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]

4. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Looks nice and takes me back. This will horrify you but in fixing furniture dings I’ve had very good results with those markers loaded with more or less matching stain! It’s worth a try to avoid taking it all apart and sanding and refinishing.

5. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

This is a favourite pastime of mine.
    The original plinth is basic, but sonically
    Its fine with standard rubber feet
    A new plinth will have sockets for phono
    And motor supply,
    It will transform it to a visually stunning deck .
    Personally i have not bothered.
    I do fit phono sockets
    I do not damp the subchassis.
    I clean out mainbearing and relubricate.
    The suspension will need resetting.
    The motor must be running and a record
    On the platter.when testing for bounce,!
    Now is the time to decide if you want a record clamp, as it has to be taken into consideration when setting platter height
    The correct belteasures,165mm
    When folded in half , any smaller and it will affect bounce ,
    The shure V15 mk3 works well with generic stylus or Jico.
    M97XE also
    I fitted a Dynavector 10X5 with disgustingly good results
    Explosive Bass.
    The arm really is that good,
    ,any detailed advice freely given

Quidjay likes this.
  6. Mezeno

Tim, I am going to take your advice and start off with the markers scratches and colored filler for any small dings.

Thorensman, I appreciate all of the input and welcome a pm from you with details of how you would set this unit up if it was yours. With that in mind, I can tell you that I have no intentions of ever changing my speakers (we have all said this before :D) as I love the sound and aesthetics. Eventually I may change out my receiver/amp for a McIntosh form the late 70s to early 80s.

7. Mezeno

Okay, I can not tell you how incredibly bummed out I am right now. The TD-150MK2 that I was supposed to pick up on Saturday was sold yesterday while the owner was out of the store. I was going to drive four hours to pick it up, but I thought that it was worthwhile for the $350 that he wanted for it. I have been looking for quite a while and can't find any close to me, and any that are far away are way over priced and/or they will not ship them. If anyone knows where I can find one or maybe a TD-160 please let me know. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.