Let us now praise The J. Geils Band..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by samthesham, Jun 13, 2018.

1. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident Thread Starter

Had the Dolls toned down their dressing habits & managed to keep it together they would occupy a bigger slot in rocks history than they have...

In other words they would not have only appealed to a handful but to the masses...

But alas the Dolls never were for the masses...

Lynyrd Skynyrd on the other was looked upon as a bunch of illiterate bare footed backwoods Southern yokels with a penchant for hard living & hell raising...

Except almost exclusively in the South where they had become giants almost over night....

Not held with same esteem they hold today by any means...

On the other hand JGB had what those 2 lacked especially appeal to the masses...

Finally I cant explain the swagger & bravado bit any better than I already have...except maybe to say the JGB & Skynyrd had more balls to their music & presence than most other 1970s bands , not unlike the Stones

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    mikmcmee and TeddyB like this.
  2. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

You can't make me!

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

:edthumbs: Lord I'd ask you to take a moment and look down upon our friends The J. Geil's Band. Thank you Lord, thank you.

4. samthesham

I was not implying that Hot Line was a Foghat knock off JGB were much better than that but what I am saying is the music took a much harder rock edge on Hot Line which I always felt was a mistake for the band..

Thanks for reading & posting

boe and Pete Puma like this.
  5. samthesham

I fn love it!

Thanks for posting!

6. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

If someone has a short list of great live bands and the J. Geils Band is not on it, I suggest they revise it.

7. samthesham

Then why are you here?

Trolling?

8. samthesham

Toot sweet

But you had to experience them live to really appreciate that bonafide fact...

Thanks for posting

9. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

His name was John. The "Jerome" thing was a running gag of Wolf's in his stage banter.

10. samthesham

That I did not know

I always referred to him as Mr.J when interveiwing the band

Thanks for posting

11. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

I never owned any J. Geils albums, but I always liked the songs that were played on the radio. Their music is exactly what you would expect to hear at any party back in the 70's. I saw them open for The Stones in '81 and I took a few pics of their set. I'll scan and upload them in the next day or so. At any rate, I complied a The Best Of The J. Geils Band cd a few years ago, and it goes something like this:

House Party
    Looking For A Love
    Night Time
    Must've Got Lost
    Give It To Me
    Sanctuary
    Come Back
    Somebody
    One Last Kiss
    Monkey Island
    Chimes
    Love Stinks
    Till The Walls Come Tumblin' Down
    I Do
    Centerfold

Rockford & Roll and Pete Puma like this.
  12. I guess I'm just not hearing the "harder edge" in the Hotline Songs.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  13. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

"Scramble my eggs, honey!" :laugh::love:

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Personally, I think Hotline is one of their more overlooked albums.

15. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

I remember David Lynch claiming Peter Wolf was the "weirdest person I've met."

That says something....

16. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Smart move !

17. jjhunsecker

J Geils Band's non-admission (so far) is my biggest gripe with the Hall of Fame.

the 2CD Anthology on Rhino was my first Geils CD- I had all of the albums on vinyl. I eventually got them all on CD. I still listen to the Rhino set, especially the 10 track live mini-set . Smart move to put those all together. Still wondering though why a set that was roughly chronological ended with cuts from "Sanctuary" and not "Freeze Frame"

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I had always wished they would release a 3-4 cd box set that contained all of the non-lp material, outtakes, the live songs omitted from Live: Full House and the live material from the Mar Y Sol Festival. It's probably too late for that now.

It seems people have forgotten how great the early material is and just recall the MTV era material along with maybe Love Stinks and Must Of Got Lost.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  19. jjhunsecker

I've said this before, but I think with "Love Stinks" and "Freeze Frame" J Geils was probably the only "classic rock" band (with the possible exception of ZZ Top) to adjust and incorporate the synth/New Wave sounds of the 80s into their music and not sound like pandering fools.

20. jjhunsecker

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Was just listening to "Ladies Invited" right before I opened my computer and found this thread !

jeffrey walsh and John Fell like this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

You could have a helluva drinking game by drinking a shot or a beer every time Wolf says "baybeh" during a JG show.

ARK, jeffrey walsh, Pennywise and 2 others like this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

This list is from another thread and omits the other live tracks recorded for Live: Full House.

Thanks @JasonA for compiling it.

THE J. GEILS BAND
    B-SIDES & OTHER NON-ALBUM TRACKS 1972-1980

1) DEAD PRESIDENTS - 2:35
    Willie Dixon cover. Originally released on the B-side of 'I Don't Need You No More' single on February 28th, 1972. This version is from the compilation CD 'Looking For A Love And Other Hits' released in 1997 on Flashback Records ‎R2 72679.

2) LOOKING FOR A LOVE (LIVE) - 5:19
    Live at the Mar Y Sol Festival in Puerto Rico on April 3rd, 1972. From 'Mar Y Sol' compilation double LP released in 1972 on ATCO Records SD 2-705.*

3) WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO (STUDIO VERSION) - 3:04
    Cover of The Supremes song from 1964, written by Holland-Dozier-Holland. Single released February 24th, 1976. This version is from the compilation CD 'Looking For A Love And Other Hits' released in 1997 on Flashback Records ‎R2 72679.

4) PEANUT BUTTER - 2:26
    Cover of The Marathons song from 1961. Single released December 2nd, 1976. This version taken from 'The J. Geils Band Anthology - Houseparty' 2-CD compilation released April 20, 1993 on Rhino Records R2 71164.

5) MAGIC'S MOOD - 2:30
    Instrumental B-side to 'Peanut Butter' single released December 2nd, 1976 on Atlantic ‎45-3378*.

6) TRYING TO LIVE MY LIFE WITHOUT YOU - 3:11
    Otis Clay cover from 1972, written by Eugene Williams. Originally released on the B-side of 'I Do' single in January, 1978. This version taken from 'Best Of The J. Geils Band Two' LP released in 1980 on Atlantic ‎SD 19284*.

7) REVENGE - 1:46
    B-side to 'One Last Kiss' single, released November 13, 1978 on EMI America 8007*.

8) WILD MAN (SPECIAL REMIX) - 4:04
    Original version appears on 'Sanctuary' album; 'Special Remix' version released as 12" and 7" promos in June, 1979. This version taken from 'Flashback: The Best Of J. Geils Band' compilation CD released in 1985 on EMI America ‎CDP 7-46551-2.

9) LOVE STINKS (LIVE) - 4:12
    "Juke Joint Jimmy & His House Party Rockers" recorded live at the Great Gildersleeves in New York on April 27, 1980. From Love Stinks 12" promo released in 1980 on EMI America SPRO 9395.*

I believe 3 of these appear on the Rhino 2 cd Houseparty Anthology.

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

9) Love Stinks---contains the classic Wolfism: "Make Your Guitar STINK!!!!"

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Lot of fun to see in concert.

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I guess he was looking for that ****ty sound as Keith Richards says.

The Panda likes this.