Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

2. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

If all of Raff’s works would have been lost, you wouldn’t have heard of him—what is a composer without compositions? There is a looooong list of his works on Wiki. Maybe they meant to say that all of his original manuscripts are lost?

3. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Another Bruckner four.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, ibanez_ax and Wes H like this.
  4. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I may be posting less frequently over the next month…………..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

peter1 likes this.
  5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Smiley face.

Wugged likes this.
  6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

My moring listening occurs before the early games. The later group stage games are at around 1:00 PM my time, so there may not be as much afternoon listening.

7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I have that set. I like them, but they are not an "easy" listen.

royzak2000 likes this.
  8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I’m enjoying pianist Lucas Debargue’s debut recital on Sony. Remarkable playing —even more so since it’s a live recording. (No images—using my phone and it’s harder to post them than on my PC.)

Gardo and bluemooze like this.
  9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

10. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

I have no idea. It's a rather bizarre comment in the liner notes. To give it some context, I'll back up and quote a bit more.

"It became Liszt's practice to give Raff sketches with instrumental cues which the younger composer then wrote out in full. As Liszt gained in technical knowledge and self-confidence he would reorchestrate the draft until it was unmistakeably his own. Raff went on to compose some dozen symphonies and much else. All that survives today is the lollipop "Cavatina," once a staple of Palm Court orchestras."

I realise Raff's music for some reason fell out of fashion at some point, and its popularity has sadly never fully recovered, but quite where the idea that nothing survives comes from I have no clue"

11. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Yep, time zones are as you Americans say 'a bummer' :)

Luckily in Poland, matches are at reasonable times - I just need to 'move' a few lessons to quieter times…….. :D
    Listening will have to take a bit of a back seat though.

12. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I remember listening to this recording, in the 70s, on headphones my mother in law was next to me, we did not get on but she said what are you listening to.
    I found another side of her.
    [​IMG]

13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

For the duration of the World Cup!

Wugged likes this.
  14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

In the right mood.

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Most of the group-stage games of the last few tournaments were extremely boring, so much so that I doubt I'll be watching any this time - and that's got nothing to do with the Netherlands not taking part, I hated the way they played in 2010 when they lost the final and 2014 when they reached the semis. The last really good Dutch World Cup team was in France 1998.

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Guitarist Stefano Grondona’s “Baroque Images” recording of his transcriptions of Froberger, Bach, and Scarlatti. Beautifully played and recorded— one of my favorites.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'm retired so times aren't are problem.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Very true.

19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I just checked the World Cup TV schedule. Some games are on at 5 and 7 AM my time, so some early listening might be curtailed.

Wugged likes this.
  20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I have been retired 12 years but can not come to term with time, it is the controller.

Wes H and bluemooze like this.
  21. coopmv

With the Netherlands and Italy not in the World Cup, my interest level has gone down quite a few notches. To be honest, I could not care less if the US did not make it. The best player in the last US squad was the goalkeeper and I really was not that impressed with the rest of that team ... :hide:

22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

The funny thing is that each day still has it's "feel". When I first retired, I woke up on a Sunday and thought "Ugh, tomorrow is Monday." But then I realized "Why should I care anymore?"

Saturday is still the coolest day of the week, it still "feels" like Saturday.

peter1, David*M, Thomas R and 2 others like this.
  23. coopmv

Weekday or weekend are not that different for the retirees except when I have to go to the grocery store. My rule is, never go to the grocery store on weekend ...

royzak2000 likes this.
  24. coopmv

There is no TGIF for retirees!

25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Maybe not, but Friday still feels cooler than Thursday. Maybe each days feel will dissipate the longer I'm retired.