The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Peoples that be ignoring the July 78 box continue to do themselves a disservice. The opening 7/1/78 Arrowhead 1 Set Show (long set) is a truly great show. First set type tunes (beginning of the long set found on disc 1) are all great versions (especially Jed & Jack Straw) and then the Terrapin>Playing>Drums>Space>Estimated>TOO>Wharf Rat>Around & Around produces in spades. Kinda compressed (short PITB, Drums & Space & TOO).

The other middle shows from 7/3, 7/5 & 7/7 all have much to offer and the stand-alone well known 7/8 show speaks for itself.

Never did Jerry’s guitar sound so good and a Phil is rubbery Beauty throughout.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It's worth noting in this discussion that on official releases the band gets publishing credits if they give a dopey name to some improv and names themselves as the authors. They may also benefit from having extra tracks on disc in a similar way, though I'm not sure about that.

I have no idea what some people on the archive are thinking with the way they track things. Good Lovin>Drums>Good Lovin is another that causes steam to come from my years.

4. ianuaditis

Woohoo! That is a must buy for me when it comes around at Real Gone (that and 2-14-68 are the only 2 I am 100% definite on.)

That still might be the best complete show release they've ever put out.

Billy_Sunday and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I can't agree with you on this. In my opinion, it's not even the best '69 release. It's nice, though.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  6. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Please don't listen to my version of 12/10/71.

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  7. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Relistening to 5/19/74 this afternoon, and my immediate impression is that this is a particularly good show for Keith and Donna. Keith's sound sparkles just a little more than usual. Donna is rock solid. Might be the mix and they're a bit more up-front than usual, but I'm really enjoying this.

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Offhand the only early 70's shows with multiple reel SBD masters I remember are the Fillmore East Feb 70 shows, and the shows they recorded multitrack for Skull, E72 and GD Movie. But I'd be glad to be surprised.

9. ianuaditis

Well, now I have to...plus, you have Good Lovin' all as one track, so its cool. (and of course I'm just being hyperbolic, I put the thing on, navigate to another window, and don't even notice the tracks.)

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It's easy to see why the band liked 89-90 so much. Just look at Jerry. He's sharp and looks very much alive!

11. ianuaditis

I don't think they did a good job with the track order, they should have kept all of 5-24 continuous.

There's a radio program, Morning Dew, on WBAI in NYC that I used to tape back in school, and I remember hearing that as they broadcast it, and it was like 'ho-hum, here's Lovelight, the organ doesn't work,' and then they reeled off the rest of that set and I almost couldn't believe it (and I didn't know that they really didn't do anything like that all that much in 1969, that was more like an 80s set the way they mixed and matched the repertoire.) It's still my favorite St. Stephen ever, something about the way they start it from nothing.

12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

For sure 3/28/73, 6/22/73 and 4/2/73 had 2 sets of reel masters made, and I'd be very surprised if they were the only ones. Charlie Miller thinks there may well be 2 sets of masters for 5/19/74, which only makes sense if they are actually releasing it.

13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I like this description very much. I'll modify Jerry's quote to say that when Phil's rubbery, the band is rubbery. For a really good example of what rubbery means (if'n y'don't know already, but you should), see 5/3/72, 2:10-3:39 of Good Lovin'. Rubbery Dead is the best sort of Dead.

14. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That show needs an official release some day. The second set jam is the fraternal twin of the Aarhus show.

15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Earlier today I finally got around to putting on disc 2 of the last Dave’s and it got me thinking that I might need to re-evaluate the ‘71 bummer with which I had come out of last summer having.

Matthew Tate, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  16. Champagne Boot

I'm all in on '71, which seems to be a minority opinion. Particularly the end of the year when they're breaking in Keith.

Bonus hot take: I've never liked '72.

dzhason and ianuaditis like this.
  17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Ha, I used to tape that show on WBAI in NYC in high school as well. My only gripe is that they eventually sometimes started playing Blues Traveler shows instead of the GD, which was always a disappointment.

Billy_Sunday and ianuaditis like this.
  18. ianuaditis

That is certainly a hot take.

19. Champagne Boot

There's nothing disappointing about a Blues Traveler show.

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

AAAARrrrGGGhhhhh

Hard time getting past don’t like 1972 Grateful Dead but DO like Blues Traveler

Nothing personal

Just sayin’

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Six Bachelors and US Blues like this.
  22. ianuaditis

I never heard any of that, though I've been working my way through a dozen or so unlabelled tapes, most of which are from BAI. (One was my little brothers' Everclear mix, not one of my tapes at all.) All of them I've heard are either GD or GD related (Garcia's side projects, there's a Ratdog show from 97, David Murray's Dark Star etc.)

I wouldve been glad to hear some Blues Traveler, as long as it wasn't too frequent, as it would have meant I got to go out with my friends instead of spending Saturday night at home waiting to get the tape flip just right. In those days it was hard to find everyone once they were out, no one had cell phones yet. (I probably would've taped BT anyway, I just wouldn't have been too fussy about how it came out.)

23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Maybe I'm thinking of a different show. This would be early Friday morning from about 2:00-5:00 AM, so I'd have to set the alarm, and my listening days were circa '87-'92, although for the last several years only when I was back home from college. Definitely a local NYC station and I thought it was WBAI. I got my first copies of 5/8/77 and 5/9/77 from taping off of the show, among many other tapes, although I was able to upgrade almost all of them within the next few years. The heavy Blues Traveler airplay phase was around the time of their first two albums.

24. ianuaditis

25. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Yeah, The Other One is out of sight, as is the NFA, etc.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.