Spandau Ballet. Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steelvelvet20, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident Thread Starter

As a teenager, their music pretty much passed me by.
    However, on reflection, after hearing their best cuts, there are many good songs.
    Best songs are True and through the barricades. Other worthy songs are communication, gold, only when you leave, I'll fly for you, round and round.

DiabloG and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  2. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I was more of a Duran Duran fan but they released a couple of good singles....Through the Barricades & Instinction. The other singles weren't so good.

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I jumped on at True, evidently the fans who were there at the beginning really felt betrayed by True. It's almost a perfect album. Foundation is a fantastic song.
    I bought the follow up, but thought it was really a step down--I only like three songs, but I grant you they were great (Only when you Leave, Fly for You, Highly Strung).

Elton, Remy, adriatikfan and 4 others like this.
  4. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Totally passed by me as well...

5. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Luck has left me standing so tall. I love them.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I actually prefer “Parade”, the follow-up to “True” more for its consistency and more polished production. But SB’s early output is more interesting than those 2 albums.

Elton and LoveYourLife like this.
  7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

8. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Sure, why not? I don't remember a whole lotta songs of theirs on the radio back in the 80's, but I do like this one:

I don't remember if the New Wave station played this song or if it was on the commercial/pop station that played songs like "Holding Back The Years" by Simply Red.

VH3FAN, Record Rotator and DiabloG like this.
  9. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Really loved To Cut A Long Story Short and my interest diminished with each subsequent release as they became more and more polished.
    Hey, I’m old okay!

10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Diamond, Parade and True are part of my collection.
    The 12 Inch Mixes is nice as well :)

LoveYourLife likes this.
  11. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I love True!

12. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

I've seen Gary Kemp on a number of music documentaries and there's no doubting he is very clued up about music. I have their albums but tend to revisit specific tracks rather than their full body of work. "Muscle Bound" and "Chant No. 1 (I don't need this pressure on)" were considered very edgy records in their day.

13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

For True and Gold alone, a fine yes.

14. Trelayne

Trelayne Well-Known Member

15. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

Yes and no.
    Early yes, True and onward not so much.

16. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Yeah I loved Chant No. 1. Great song. Great time to be listening to British New Wave too.

17. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

True > most.

18. davers

davers Forum Resident

True and Parade are new wave pop masterpieces in my book. Any Spandau compilation is great too.

On a side note, Diamond isn't a fave musically, but the cover is one of my favorites from the new wave era.

Thorpy likes this.
  19. John54

John54 Senior Member

Gold is a pleasant, breezy little number. Musclebound is a good listen once in a while. True is alright but overrated IMHO ...

20. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Trust your instincts. There is no reason to seek validation from this forum.

21. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Yes indeed!
    True is just one of those songs that I can never get out of my mind. I thought it was beautiful and moving when I first heard it as a child, and still do today! I remember the very first time I heard it on the radio, I had goosebumps. I was in love with that song. HAD to buy the album. And waddya' know? Once I bought it and listened to the whole thing back to front, I ended up loving it all! :)

So many good memories associated with the "True" and "Parade" albums. Timeless gold to me. :love:

HeavensAbove likes this.
  22. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I like the early singles like To Cut A Long Story Short, The Freeze & Chant No.1 but after that it's not for me. I think Duran Duran had a far stronger run of hits overall.

audiofool and Leepal like this.
  24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Huge fan of the New Romantic genre and of course that includes Spandau Ballet. Love the first two albums especially Diamond which is my favourite. True is a very good album and more pop than the first two. Parade is okay but not great. There 12" singles are awesome - love the 12" for The Freeze

Max Florian and Record Rotator like this.
  25. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.