Spiritualized : And Nothing Hurt (Sept. 7th)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheWarmth, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulMcCartneysGhost

PaulMcCartneysGhost Forum Resident

Thank you, looks like ill be going for the deluxe, although i'll hold off til its released in stores.

Solvethebox likes this.
  2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Got the deluxe vinyl and the CD - I figure any little contribution to help Pierce and his artistic vision. We need more people like him making money.

3. This is exactly how I feel. However, I'm just going with the deluxe. No need for the CD, IMO because the deluxe comes with a download.

Buy from Spiritualized's website, people!

EDIT: I don't know for a fact that they make more from their own website purchases, but it makes sense to me....

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Preordered the orange deluxe from JPC, 39,90€ including postage! :righton:

5. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wouldn't be surprised if the deluxe version sells out and doesn't appear in stores. It might not be in stores even if it doesn't sell out. Better just order it if that's the version you want.

6. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I hope this is better than the last album, that was really poor. Live at the Hammersmith Apollo in Sep should be good though.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  7. TheWarmth

Sweet Heart Sweet Light was poor? Disagree. I think the production is a little murky on the heavier songs, but overall it's still a pretty fantastic album. "So Long You Pretty Thing" is probably my favorite Spiritualized album closer. I will say that the production on these two new songs sounds like an improvement over SHSL, though.

iainoco, Maurice and dlemaudit like this.
  8. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

That's good to hear, cause while the songs on SHSL are amazing, the production is a real let down. A couple of songs sound fine, but most of it is a murky mess soundwise. Which is a shame, specially considering the excellent sound on all the other spz albums.
    And I completely agree on So Long..., it's a brilliant epic song.

9. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Ooh, thanx for the inspiration. I'm just putting Hey Jane on my playlist for tonight.

Now I'll have a listen to the new stuff.....

10. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

I wasn't a huge fan of the previous two records although each had their moments. I might be in the minority on Amazing Grace though, as I love that album.

The two new songs sound pretty great to these ears and I'm eager to hear what else J. Spaceman has in store for us.

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'm pretty much just a fan of the first three. I have the others, but I don't like them nearly as much as the first three.

12. TheWarmth

Spiritualized are one of my favorite bands ever. Here's how I break down the albums: The first four are, IMO, all essential and all masterpieces (Lazer-Guided Melodies, Pure Phase, Ladies & Gentlemen and Let It Come Down). Amazing Grace is my least favorite. I hate to say it, but a lot of those songs are Spiritualized-by-numbers, with a few noteworthy exceptions ("Rated X" and "The Ballad of Richie Lee," in particular are great). A&E and SHSL both have a lot of fantastic moments on them, but neither are as good as any of the first four albums. I'm hoping the new one winds up in the masterpiece category.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Gabe Walters likes this.
  13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Those first four albums, my soundtrack of the time. I know Debbie Smith she toured with them, think she was with Curve at the time. She said Jason was special.

Gavinyl likes this.
  14. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Career highlight? (Not on an album.)

15. Neonbeam

That's a teriffic 12"! :righton:

16. lester christgau

lester christgau Forum Resident

So long you pretty things is a magnificent song, particularly live.

More importantly, not one song title contains any of the following words: soul, fire, lord

Welcome back Spaceman

Maurice and BadJack like this.
  17. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I kinda agree, but I gotta throw some love at the Spritualized "complete works" vol 1&2 CDs, which are collections of their non-album singles, b-sides and remixes, which, while not proper albums, are as good as their best albums.

[​IMG]

18. lester christgau

Complete Works wasn’t even the good b side material - did it even have the Pinkpop tunes? The rehearsal recordings Willie C put out were so much better. Sorry, some decent stuff there but if you’re really into SPZ you already have that stuff.

Rated X...cool when I first heard it but it gets old. Best part of that song is it clears out the room at concerts and you can easily move up front.

marmalade166 likes this.
  19. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

But I bet the lyrics do :)

20. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

While I agree that Friendly Fire and Blue on Blue were cool collections (not of rehearsals, mostly), and that the Complete Works was far from "complete," the second point makes me laugh. Tens of thousands of people got into Spiritualized after Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space, myself among them, and at the time stuff like the "Medication" single with the Peel tracks and the early 12"s with "Why Don't You Smile" and "Any Way that You Want Me" were rare and expensive. I know old-school Spiritualized fans are annoyed that the Complete Works sets depressed the prices of those early releases, but for the entire rest of the universe they were/are an indispensable way of collecting all the most important non-album tracks from the first decade.

The other part that's funny about the implied notion that "real Spiritualized fans got into them in 1990" is that it's now been 21 years since they broke big in 1997. The difference between the 20 years I've been into them and the 25 or 26 "real fans" have (or even the 30 years that some folks go back with Spacemen 3) is pretty trivial now. The Complete Works sets came out 16 years ago -- closer to Perfect Prescription than to today!

You get the same thing with Verve fans, where there's this immense snobbery on the part of guys who got into them in 1992 or 1993 toward those who got into them in 1998. Maybe the attitude made sense in the days of Usenet, but it hardly makes a difference now. Does anybody care whether someone got into the Beach Boys with Surfer Girl or with Pet Sounds, or Miles with Round About Midnight or with Miles Smiles?

Anyway, bring on some new Spiritualized. Jason has never put out a record that wasn't good -- or even great. As I've said before, my favorite Spiritualized is always the last one I heard.

vertigone, KeninDC, hutlock and 2 others like this.
  21. Neonbeam

Well, real fans got into them in 1986, when "The Sound Of Confusion" came out:biglaugh:

Only joking of course. As a "real" fan - whatever the hell that implies - I actually loved it, that Spiritualized didn't end up as underground underachievers like Sonic did for at least one decade after Spacemen 3. Even though I know people that hated the "Ladies And Gentlemen" direction. Bands evolve. Audiences change. It's natural.

CaptainFeedback1 and Maggie like this.
  22. Neonbeam

According to Recordstore UK the orange deluxe version "flies" so we may better hurry up. Did it say anywhere that it was limited???

23. lester christgau

Wow, you need a pill kid. I meant no harm, just that most Spiritualized fans I know already had all the singles. Wasn’t meant as a put down and I honestly don’t care when you got into the band.

You overreacted - massively - to a simple reply. Calm down, listen to some tunes and chill.

Now, if you want to get upset, here’s a thought...I never met a Spiritualized fan even half as uptight as you. Do more drugs please.

KeninDC and marmalade166 like this.
  24. robbow99

robbow99 Forum Resident

I'm feeling pretty underwhelmed by the new tracks, but then again I didn't care for the safe direction he's gone down over the last couple albums either. Huge fan of the 90s output along with LICD. But they almost feel like a different (much less exciting) band now.

25. spudgun

spudgun New Member

sorry mate but what is JPC? That's an amazing price!
    thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.