Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Could you be more specific please?
    :D

Interesting about 4/11/72. Will be cool checking this out. In the Dead essays there's this about that riff:

PHIL JAZZ JAM

There's a particular jazzy Phil riff in 6/8 time that he plays a lot in '73. Sometimes Phil just lightly touches on it and it dies quickly, sometimes Weir joins in with a counterpoint, sometimes the whole band plays with it for a while. I think it's an original riff, rather than (as some say) a Footprints quote, but it's kind of like an early version of the Stronger Than Dirt riff.

Crispy Rob, Archtop and ianuaditis like this.
  2. AxiomAcoustics

notesofachord and ianuaditis like this.
  3. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

So, Dave said that they would never do a venue-based box... But how is that really different from a geographically themed box like this?

Six Bachelors and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I had a discussion about this with LightintoAshes on his site (in the comments section of one of his blogs; not sure if it was the named jams blog) a year or three ago. He wasn't buying my theory about the 4/11/72 Footprints quote connection to KSM/STDOMTT (nor that Phil's riff was actually Footprints), but I stand by it 100%. It resonates in my bones. And, for the record, the riff was played in 4 (or, the way I view it, 2 bars of four which I count as 8), 5, 6 and 7 after it's original occurrence in 6 on 4/11/72).

Then again, I might be 100% full of crap. This is always a possibility that must be considered. :D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  5. And if I could LIKE this more than once, I woukd!

LandHorses, bzfgt and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. AxiomAcoustics

It's my understanding that that's the only way to make an order change. Unfortunately.

7. AxiomAcoustics

No hyphens please.
    :tsk:

(But since you're in Columbia you get s first round bye.)
    :)

8. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

His point was that they would not do a multi-year box based on one venue. A Greek Theater box has been floated as an idea before. I see your point, this box is based on geography but since it is less than a year apart, it is kind of like one tour.
    They have canmibalized single shows from possible boxes (BCT 72, 2/24/74 Winterland, Three From The Vault, Dave's 18, etc). They are going to need to keep stretching their definitions to make these boxes.

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Phil definitely plays a bit of Footprints on 4/11/72 and I think at least one other time during the Europe '72 tour. Whether or not that evolved into KSM/Stronger Than Dirt or whether that evolved independently, I really can't say for sure, but it's certainly an interesting theory.

10. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I am really excited for this box set.

11. AxiomAcoustics

Just got a second email from custy svc. Either need to cancel and reorder or return the LP set once I receive it. Both are a PITA. Maybe a cancellation so I can grab that LP box via amz.uk? Grrrrrr.

12. AxiomAcoustics

:laugh:

This will be fun, I've been meaning to give the Miles Bootleg Volume 5 another listen anyhow as it contains that session reel and the master take. It ended up as one of my favorites of that series.

Archtop and Crispy Rob like this.
  13. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Ordering from Spin is like not ordering at all: the end result is that you don't have the box set. The only difference is that if you order from Spin you actually pay for the box set.

jay.dee and SBegonias17 like this.
  14. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Oh, I just realized... the geographical theme makes an Iowa box a theoretical possibility! :goodie:

nitsuj and notesofachord like this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was lukewarm about the concept when that Miles release was announced, but am really glad I bought it, as it's really enjoyable being a fly on the wall with the second great quintet recording my favorite album of theirs. Much more interesting and fun than I expected.

LucaB and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  16. AxiomAcoustics

Here's the complete entry on this one:

PHIL JAZZ JAM

There's a particular jazzy Phil riff in 6/8 time that he plays a lot in '73. Sometimes Phil just lightly touches on it and it dies quickly, sometimes Weir joins in with a counterpoint, sometimes the whole band plays with it for a while. I think it's an original riff, rather than (as some say) a Footprints quote, but it's kind of like an early version of the Stronger Than Dirt riff.
    One reader wrote a post on this riff, giving it the title of the "Elastic Ping Pong Jam" and using the 6/24/73 Dark Star as a notable example:
    Grateful Dead - Elastic Jam
    Early, undeveloped versions of it show up in late '72, I think as early as September. Phil plays this line extensively in the 11/17/72 Other One, starting about 9 minutes in and continuing it on & off for a couple minutes - then he keeps repeating it occasionally in the rest of the jam.An interesting comparison can be made with the 11/19/72 Dark Star - around 8:50 in the Dark Star, Phil starts playing what is recognizably the old Coltrane 'Greensleeves' bass line he'd used for Clementine in '68. It's a similar phrase (it's also in 6/8 meter), but at a very different tempo. The early "Ping Pong" riff in the Other One two nights earlier speeds along at a faster tempo, in 5/8 time (as usual in its early versions). A similar line, but I don't think it's the same - it's possible that one riff developed into the other, in the way that many of Phil's bass lines in '74-75 sound related; or possibly they're independent and just sound similar, since Phil favored that kind of riff. One theory is that this jam further evolved into Stronger Than Dirt/King Solomon's Marbles.

Grateful Dead Live at Hofheinz Pavilion on 1972-11-19 : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive
    Here's a partial list of where it shows up in '73:
    12/31/72 - Grateful Dead Live at Winterland Arena on 1972-12-31 : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive - start of the Other One after the bass/drums break
    2/26/73 - Grateful Dead Live at Pershing Municipal Auditorium on 1973-02-26 : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive - Dark Star (starts about 10-11m in)
    2/28/73 - Grateful Dead Live at Salt Palace on 1973-02-28 : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive (and Dave's Pick) - Other One (around 4:40) -- These early versions start as 5/8 and switch to 6/8.
    6/10/73 - Grateful Dead Live at RFK Stadium on 1973-06-10 : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive - Dark Star (after the bass solo)
    6/24/73 - Grateful Dead Live at Memorial Coliseum on 1973-06-24 : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive - Dark Star (after 6:20)
    6/29/73 - Grateful Dead Live at Universal Amphitheatre on 1973-06-29 : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive - Other One (around 3:25)
    9/11/73 - The Grateful Dead Live at William and Mary College Hall on 1973-09-11 : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive - Dark Star (about 10-11m in)
    10/30/73 - Grateful Dead Live at Kiel Auditorium on 1973-10-30 : Free Borrow & Streaming : Internet Archive - Dark Star (at 6:20)
    I'm sure more examples can be found - I haven't tried to find all the different renditions, so this list is still in progress. As far as I know, this jam dies away in late '73.
    Some more comments on it here:
    Grateful Dead Guide: 1972 Melodic Jams

Archtop, Sordel, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  17. AxiomAcoustics

Boy that posted oddly.

18. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Just pre ordered the 3cd from Amazon - $24.98, same as dead.net.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. AxiomAcoustics

My thoughts exactly, both before hearing it and after :thumbsup: I believe I listened to it half-a-dozen times when I first got it. (Mrs. Ax was chuckling at Miles' profanities.) The entire thing is fascinating, I hope they can find more material to do this with in a future edition. (Of course choosing favorites in that series is impossible.)

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I don't have any notes on another Footprints quote from E'72, but while scrolling through, I realized that I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention what Phil does on the 4/17/72 Copenhagen Truckin' from 7:08-7:43. Mind-blowing. No other band but the GoGD would allow their bass player to do that in rehearsal, let alone in performance. And thank god for that. Come to think of it, after the episode where Jerry pushed Phil down a short flight of stairs in '67 or '68 for playing badly, and then, upon listening to the tapes, proclaimed his work fantastic, I think the band took a very laissez-faire attitude toward what was acceptable for each member to attempt on stage. This didn't always result in good, but I'm quite sure that it resulted in more good than bad.

Back to the Footprints/KSM/STDOMTT (I love this acronym for some stupid reason) association, I'd like to think that the mere fact that I think so would be sufficient to sway you. :nyah:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    budwhite, US Blues, adamos and 3 others like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It certainly helps make the case. Anyway, I've never listened to those various excerpts in succession. Probably should at some point.

Archtop likes this.
  22. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Re: SBD sources and patches, etc - I’m not convinced emailing Dave would receive a satisfactory response, but given that some of our corps has a rapport with Jeffrey Norman it might be worth someone inquiring on behalf of the group.... just a thought

budwhite, US Blues, bmoregnr and 4 others like this.
  23. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I'm a little confused by this review of your book:

Ken Donoghue
    5.0 out of 5 starscould have been the most boring move she ever made
    December 1, 2014
    Format: Kindle Edition
    Bella Swan's move to Forks, a small, perpetually rainy town in Washington, could have been the most boring move she ever made. But once she meets the mysterious and alluring Edward Cullen, Bella's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. Up until now, Edward has managed to keep his vampire identity a secret in the small community he lives in, but now nobody is safe, especially Bella, the person Edward holds most dear.

Deeply romantic and extraordinarily suspenseful, The Great War and Memory in Irish Culture captures the struggle between defying our instincts and satisfying our desires. This is a love story with bite.

24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

And while I'm going "meta," Archtop and Notesofachord are confusing the hell out of me...

25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It's too bad that they printed so few copies of the Winterland '77 boxset. If they re-released it for < $150, I'd be clicking "buy" faster than Steph Curry's shoots a jumpshot.

Taylor16, zephyr25, Lunna and 7 others like this.