Which solo Beatles albums are better than actual Beatles albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member Thread Starter

If this was a bad choice for a thread I apologise. I was just listening to Ringo's self titled solo album (Photograph etc) and preferred it over a few Beatles albums.

2. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

IMHO, "Ram"and "Band on the Run" are as good as any Beatles album, but not necessarily better.

Lewisboogie, JannL, fer2 and 22 others like this.
  3. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I'll be the first jerk to say "none." If All Things Must Pass was a single album with just the strongest cuts it would be the closest. But as we all know, the Beatles were far more than the sum of their parts.

4. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Plastic Ono Band is on a par with most Beatles albums.

5. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

4 against 1 is not a fair fight.

6. kahlveen

kahlveen Forum Resident

I'd put Living in the Material World above at least more than half the Beatles albums. The title track and Give Me Love are great and the more I listen, the more I'm liking the entire album as a whole.

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I agree.

John, Yoko, George, and Ringo versus Paul was totally unfair... ;)

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

All Things Must Pass and Band On The Run are better than Help and Let It Be. Yellow Sub too, if were counting it.

9. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

there are at least 5 solo albums, POB, BOTR, ATMP, Ram and Imagine that are better than With the Beatles, Beatles for Sale and Please Please Me and as good as Help and AHDN.

10. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

BOTB is much better as a whole than NOTBU, but can't be squelched by the expendededing version of UDKTT, to be sure. However, OPOBB can't be topped with a cherry if REMRVVS is still in the running.

And don't forget to WYA on the way out!

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Idk about better, many are good enough to be stable mates

angelees, mrjinks and wayneklein like this.
  12. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

This is going to depend on who your favorite Beatle is. I think Plastic Ono Band and All Things Must Pass are both better than Help or Let it Be, but as much as I love Paul, I don’t think his solo albums have the grit and range to surpass Beatles albums as albums. Song for song, might be a different story.

AudiophilePhil, CrombyMouse and bzfgt like this.
  13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

this

Jerryb likes this.
  14. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

WTF

15. None. There are certain songs that’s true of but not whole albums better than the fab four.

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yep, I agree on Ram and Band on the Run and could add a couple more as "as good", but like you say, not better. Imagine and Living in the Material World would be a couple of others I'd consider.

mrbobdobalina likes this.
  17. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I tend to listen to the 'key' solo LPs more than I do the Beatles LPs these days. But thats just a preference. They aren't 'better.'

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I was going to "like" (as I think Living in the Material World is fantastic) but then realized you're saying it's above more than half the Beatles discography. 1/2 a like!

MothMonsterMan likes this.
  19. I actually feel that Paul albums as good as John and George’s but he would never make albums like either one of those. Expecting that is unrealistic.

theMess and MisterPleasant like this.
  20. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

21. It’s a great album to be sure BUT the variety of having three songwriters in a band trumps this album for me. As great as it is, it’s largely dour and lacking humor.

22. I think a better way to title this would be “prefer” not “better than”.subjectively one could argue that point. I would point out that none of them were as innovative as the work The Beatles did.

23. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

lennon_08518, Sear, theMess and 14 others like this.
  24. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Plastic Ono Band is better than Let It Be and Abby Road. It's also better than any of McCartney's solo and Wings stuff.

25. No.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.