Acoustic Sounds announces new SACDs for Jimi Hendrix & Pink Floyd 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParanoidAndroid, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

From Acoustic Sounds:

Newly remastered by Bernie Grundman, from the original analog master tapes!

Includes both mono and stereo mixes — Pure DSD sound!

Analogue Productions presents the SACDs Jimi Hendrix fans have asked for: Hybrid SACDs of both Axis: Bold As Love, as well as Are You Experienced, the 1967 debut full-length studio release by the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Newly remastered by Bernie Grundman from the original analog master tapes, each disc contains the mono and stereo mixes for each of these historic albums. This is pure DSD sound to applaud!

2. George P

George P Notable Member

:goodie:

3. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Just a heads up for everyone.
    If you go to Elusive Disc and look at the features section for the AYE and ABAL hybrid SACDs it seems to imply that the mono mixes will only be available on the SACD layer. It says that the redbook CD layer will only have the stereo mixes. Can only hope this is not correct as it would mean that the mono mixes are still not available to those who only have a CD player for playback.

Purple Jim likes this.
  4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

It would be impossible for both mixes to fit on the Redbook layer of a single hybrid SACD... upper limit is 68ish minutes

5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Agreed, this is one that desperately needs a good digital version as there is no easy fix for the original non RE-1 CD EQ wise. It varies too much from track to track.

Laservampire likes this.
  6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'm know Hendrix expert. Is it the USA version that included a few other tracks like Red House? Disappointing it isn't included on the debut.

7. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I don't know how long the Hendrix albums are but I own a few classical CDs over 80 minutes in length. My hybrid SACD of Karajan Beethoven Symphonies 3 and 4 is 81'16.

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Hybrid SACDs are different, less surface area for the Redbook layer. Both Hendrix albums are right around 40 minutes

Jason Manley likes this.
  9. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Yes I am saying that there are discs with Redbook layers of up to 82 minutes, so conceivably if the Hendrix album is 40 minutes than both mixes would fit on one 80 minute disc.

10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Again, not on a Hybrid SACD. The Redbook layer doesn't physically have that much room on those multi-layer discs

11. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I just checked the timing of both layers of the Beethoven Hybrid SACD I mentioned previously on my SACD player. The SACD layer is 81'37, and the Redbook layer is 81'16. I think you are mistaken.

12. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I hope that's not true, no stereo and mono on CD layer = no buy for me.

Purple Jim and sonnyrock like this.
  13. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

My Geffen Records Hybrid SACD of Tommy has a Redbook layer of 75:00 minutes.

14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Guess I was misinformed... or my info is out of date :doh:

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Given that Analogue Productions is owned by Acoustic Sounds, I’d be inclined to say Late Summer 2018 is the most accurate ETA.

And the disparity between arguably the four biggest online vinyl retailers indicates the folly of quoting/relying on various sites for consistently reliable release info.

MemoInPR likes this.
  16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I would think those Hendrix releases will be in high demand.
    Suppose one should buy sooner than later
    (That’s a hint to myself to make sure I don’t get caught paying too much, again, when they go eventually OOP)

17. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Really excited about the Hendrix hybrid SACDs. I'm planning on buying both as they are releases I've long coveted. That said I wanted to kind of 'check in' on if anyone has heard about the Pink Floyd releases. The catalog/pdf of course has the vague 'coming in 2018'. I was hyped for more than a calendar year about the Beach Boys hybrid SACDs and ultimately bought all but two. I'm very, very pleased with them. While I really hope it's 2018 on the Floyd titles, I'm kind of dubious because there is no pre-order anywhere on the Music Direct site. I'm sure they'll make it out eventually though.

I purchased the previous hybrid SACD of WYWH and thought it was stellar, although I only played the red book layer. Ended up selling it and wishing I hadn't. I'm excited to have an opportunity to re-purchase a properly mastered WYWH at non-eBay prices. And I've always been in love with the MFSL DSOTM. If I'm not mistaken both DSOTM and The Wall from MFSL were done by Krieg Wunderlich. They are absolutely awesome. So I'm curious what this release might be like. That 30th Anniversary hybrid SACD from Capitol/EMI was "good".

I feel like though, anytime APO gets involved it almost tilts towards being an essential purchase because of the care that goes into the releases, not unlike Mobile Fidelity, DCC, etc.

So, anyone know who is mastering these? Know any details about them?

[​IMG]

18. I don't think they can improve upon the original WYWH SACD. DSOTM is another matter entirely and a new mastering made with SACD in mind could surpass the older SACD.

George P likes this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Bummer. If that's the case I'll wait for a kind soul to make a rip available.

20. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I'm thinking the Elusive Disc listing is just simply mistaken. The Acoustic Sounds listing is pretty clear. Has anyone called Acoustic Sounds...?

21. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

The wall also sacd?

22. While you would think The Wall SACD would be a no-brainer, it has never been mentioned for the format. Remember that The Wall Immersion set was the only one not to have the studio album in hi-rez quality. Some story was given that the mastertapes need work or something to get a proper Hi-Rez mastering.

23. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

At the time that AP released the Wish You Were Here SACD, James Guthrie stated in an interview that he was working on a multi-channel version of The Wall but that it would take years because he had to do Two 5.1 mixes, one for the movie and another for the album. He said that the tapes needed lots of work.

I don't wish to rehash this here, since the subject is OT but there are people who don't believe that The Wall Sacd will happen. Time will ultimately tell us if it happens; or maybe he or someone from PF gives an interview and provides updates.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  24. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Any idea who’s going to “own” these Grundman remasterings? Might they turn up (albeit probably Stereo only) on a later Sony/EH standard CD issue, or are they tied to Acoustic Sounds?

25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I think we can all but guarantee that in addition to AP it'll have an Experience Hendrix and a Sony Legacy logo, just like the Jimi Hendrix "Machine Gun" SACD did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.