Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yes. A notch up from AS, who don't.

2. Myke

I honestly don't think there's anymore to hear there, or at least I wouldn't be able to hear it. :laugh:

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The packaging for these sets is over the top so I can kind of understand the pricing. That said, I think the only titles I’ll buy are the Bill Evans and Dylan titles.

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don’t think that the Mofi boxes are eligible for discounts, no?

5. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Not according to Music Direct.

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I guess that makes sense. I’ve paid full price for mine, although it’s been free shipping.

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

And is the one step version going to sound any better than the SRV AP 45RPM pressing. If it does, it’ll probably be a marginal improvement.

Myke likes this.
  8. Sam

Sam Senior Member

So many thought the same with the first Ultra vinyl release from Santana. I don't have it, but from what I've read, jaws are still dropping at what mofi was able to pull from those tapes. You can't comment until you hear.

9. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Agreed. Smart thing is to buy one or two and not open them. IF the word is out that the Ultra copy "shatters" any previous copy, then it may be worth opening one to hear and keep. One can almost always sell it sealed and usually gain more back than the initial investment.

Slick Willie and OptimisticGoat like this.
  10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

That's where I am at. I will be more choosy. I already passed on two upcoming titles.

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, the stevie ray titles sound great on 45rpm and there won't be much of an improvement, IMO. The mastering will be different.

Myke and Tommyboy like this.
  12. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

After having updated my music system with a new Pioneer Elite series receiver and new floor standing speakers, I played my OneStep "Abraxas" and was blown away.

13. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Between the increased numbers pressed and the increased price, I believe the MFSL 1-Step releases will reach critical mass. Critical mass is defined as the minimum amount of fissile material needed to maintain a nuclear chain reaction. If the sentiment represented in this forum is a good sampling of the overall market, MFSL may have achieved a nuclear chain reaction. That combined with their inability to meet self-imposed release dates on advertised titles is tarnishing a great product name. It is the strangest case of marketing suicide I have ever witnessed.

14. Myke

I do own the Abraxas, and I can comment on not "needing" yet another round of the SRV catalog. In my collection it would not only be foolish to think any more could be squeezed out for MY hearing capabilities, but completely asinine from a financial standpoint, after spending around $400. for all 7 albums. Also the music Santana made contains elements that made it a worthwhile undertaking, again, IMO.
    SRV and Double Trouble were a Texas Blues trio, that could blow the roof off a dump with sheer power. Santana's music was more of what my son once called " a journey."
    Let's just drop it here, nothing you can say is going to change my mind on this. :tiphat:

15. Myke

Exactly.

16. Sam

Sam Senior Member

LOL. I'm not trying to change your mind about anything. I also own the whole box set of SRV at 45 rpm. I agree with you that it would also be highly unlikely for guys like US to buy it. However, neither you nor I have a crystal ball in determining what the SRV pressing from mofi will sound like. Someone else above said it will be just "different mastering." As we have seen for decades with vinyl, different mastering (RL Zeppelin for example) can make all the difference in the world. And as far as the differences in musical styles, it really doesn't matter whether one band is a powerhouse trio or not, outside of subjective differences. Bill Evans is a trio as well, and I believe his one step pressing is also receiving accolades. I believe different titles should have been chosen, but mofi doesn't let us know the reasons behind their choices. Soooo many other titles that I would have liked to see get the treatment. If I had to guess, SRV is a "safe" bet for mofi in that the albums they chose have great sounding master tapes, he's popular and I'm willing to bet the licensing fee is small.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2018
    FashionBoy, Jimijam and bajaed like this.
  17. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I’m getting every One Step until a dud is found. I was bummed that Waltz For Debby was coming out since I’d already purchased the AP 45rpm Bill Evans box. After hearing that One Step I was so glad I bought a copy because it was noticeably better than the AP. I also have the SRV 45rpm box and wish that MOFI was coming out with something other than SRV. But... I’m not missing out on those One Step SRV titles simply because they may be a cut above just like the One Step WFD.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think you mean Sunday At The Village Vanguard.

FashionBoy and AnalogJ like this.
  19. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Yes! Thank you for catching that. For some reason my mind always conflates those two albums.

mpayan likes this.
  20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Sunday At Debby's??

rollo5 likes this.
  21. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

No, there you go again. That's the one MFSL did not release. They released Waltz at the Village Vanguard.

Slick Willie likes this.
  22. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

They were going to release Waltz For Debby. I got a test pressing. :p

audiotom likes this.
  23. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Where in the name of God is the Simon and Garfunkel release????!!!!!!! Someone must know something! "Send out the word." (lol, a little word play from the Warriors movie)

FashionBoy and ted321 like this.
  24. teag

teag Forum Resident

SUNDAY at the Village Vanguard.

FashionBoy likes this.
  25. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Little known fact:

Debbie never learned to Waltz....She was however, a fabulous jitterbugger....