Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think sideburns like that were pretty rare back then. Even in the 1960's, when I grew sideburns, I was considered a freak. I had the only ones in our school. It was almost taboo. By 1968 or 1969, lambchop sideburns became a style. (Like in that George Jones photo above)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

It's not your fault, blame this guy! he started it.
    [​IMG]

RSteven, melstapler and Tribute like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Elvis must have had to go to the hairdresser frequently to get his sideburns dyed. The brown hair would show in a week!

4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

For all you Lefty Frizzell fans, here is a song he wrote with Sanger D. Shafer entitled 'Bandy The Rodeo Clown.' Moe Bandy recorded the song and made it a hit. Moe always tells the audience that Lefty initially called him to discuss this song and caught him by surprise.

McLover, AlmanacZinger and The Killer like this.
  5. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  6. GodBlessTinyTim

Got it today, listened to half of the first disc which I'll finish tonight. Really enjoy hearing them tackle all these songs you don't hear on compilations. Wonder why it's packaged in a DVD-sized digipak, though.

Looking at the included discography of their Tiffany recordings, there's still plenty that hasn't made it to CD. Do your thing, Bear Family!

Svein Arne and The Killer like this.
  7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

In reference to some recent Johnny Paycheck discussions, does anybody know who actually owns or
    licenses the 'little darlin' recordings now? The information I can only find is that producer Aubrey Mayhew must
    had still been in possession of them before he died, as he was starting to licence the recordings out to the now defunct
    KOCH label. Aubrey died in 2009, and everything came to a halt.
    From what I can see and understand, KOCH was bought by Entertainment One, which is another multi national
    enterprise. So the likeliness of seeing any re-released material soon could most likely be impossible.
    A bit like obtaining a clearance for the Patsy Cline stuff.
    It's concerning when these massive companies take hold, everything we want seems to get pushed into a dark
    corner not to be seen again in our lifetimes....

8. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I have heard from asking this question myself on this forum that Gusto owns his LD catalog. In my mind I picture them sitting around using Johnny Paycheck master tapes for coasters and sticking them under the table legs to keep them from rocking while they sit around trying to come up with a new collection of knock off George Jones cds to sell at truck stops.

The Killer and Rick Bartlett like this.
  9. baptistbusman

I just saw someone post Bobby Bare’s “Mercury Years” Bear set on eBay. Does anyone here have it? Why is it so rare? Well I know why it’s rare, they apparently only made like 5 copies of it. Was it sold as a boxed set or as three separate discs?

Also, what are some other hard to find sets?

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

three separate discs only. but they made a pile of them......

melstapler likes this.
  11. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

25% off box sets at Bear Family!!

12. What's the shipping like for Americans?

melstapler likes this.
  13. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

I just checked with the Bob Wills box - shipping DHL Parcel to WA state is $36.26

It would be about $300 sales tax incl at Amazon (Seattle has 10% sale tax).

With this sale it's $238 shipped from Germany.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    melstapler and PhantomStranger like this.
  14. GodBlessTinyTim

Wow, I'd have expected a box set sale to be maybe 10 or 15 percent off, not 25. It's like browsing in Canadian prices.

What do you suppose is the best way to suggest/beg Bear Family work on a project? Their website's contact form? Facebook? Letter?

Asking because I heard this rare Charlie Feathers song the other day, currently only available on a 10" single limited to 300 copies. Imagine if BF could clean up the recording a little and include it with the rest of his work.

15. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

They've replied to me when I wrote [email protected]

Managing Directors: Detlev Hoegen, Michael Ohlhoff
    HRA Amtsgericht Walsrode HRB 122276

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  16. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Puzzling one that, I've got them, one of them turned out to be a CDR, not Bear a home made job I think, eventually got a real copy when someone in the fir sale section here was selling that one, a BF miracle! I just don't understand why they didn't make it into a proper box set or why it isn't still in print. If you see it it's definitely worth picking up.

melstapler likes this.
  17. The Killer

Another hard to find set was always the Hawkshaw Hawkins one, a year or so after I finally got my paws on a box Bear found a stack of booklets on a shelf somewhere and decided to press a new batch, grrrrr. So if they can do that why not repress some others?

melstapler likes this.
  18. The Killer

Everly Brothers Outtakes is $12.75, if you haven't got that tiny box of wonder you must be mental.

19. The Killer

I've just snagged a copy of this on the 'bay, I'll report back when it arrives, it'll either be fantastic or pile of dross. I have got some of the 65 live recordings as they do appear on a couple of cheapo CD's, I think they're selections from this session/set, that's what the liner notes state anyway, they seem pretty good. More later...

20. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

I guess that there where problems with copyrights.I guess that is why they had a short time to be sold.31 years since they was on sale.

21. Svein Arne

And now we can hope and pray for a Hawkshaw CD box from Bear Family with complete recordings done for King records.
    LP Discography: Hawkshaw Hawkins - Discography

melstapler likes this.
  22. Svein Arne

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

They need the books of course. The printing of books, even softcover, costs more than pressing a batch of CDs.

24. Svein Arne

25. baptistbusman

melstapler and Svein Arne like this.