Why Don't We Do It In The Road-How many Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Upsiditus, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It sounds to me like the lap steel guitar which John plays on For You Blue. So yes, it's slide guitar I believe.

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

Pretty much how I see it. I was 15 in 1969 when I bought this masterpiece of an album. Hard to say how many nights my brother and I fell asleep with this on our crappy turntable. In my mind it sequences perfectly in the album, but I admit my bias when it comes to any song on this album.

I thought I read somewhere it was Paul with a little help from Ringo.

ParloFax likes this.
  3. Mark Lewisohn, The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions (all Paul, plus Ringo on take 5 he says).

timind likes this.
  4. timind

timind phorum rezident

You made me go upstairs and consult William Dowldings, "Beatlesongs." According to his book, it's kind of murky. Several sources with several different accounts.

ParloFax likes this.
  5. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Nah WDWDIITR is boring :yawn: but I enjoy a lot of McCartney 2. "Temporary Secretary" is a fun track

6. Great analysis, as usual! Yeah I had forgotten about the stutter on the first very "do", which kind of makes the song tensed and exciting right from the start! The amazingness of the vocal delivery alone should make the track a worthy addition to the album... Not to mention how Paul, yet again so amazingly, morphs into an entirely different singer on the track just following it! So the sequencing also was brilliant...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Rose River Bear likes this.
  7. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Love the song and I also quite like Revolution 9. The song I DON'T like is the granny music Honey Pie. Wild Honey Pie is just fine however. Some of these oddball songs is what makes The White Album so cool. I rank it higher than Sgt Pepper, always have.

Lewisboogie and Greenalishi like this.
  8. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

White Album is my favorite by the Beatles. Just as you said SKATTERBRANE, for all these oddball songs. But, they really have a cool feel too them and it works perfectly as a record. No changes need be made. Do It In The Road fits perfect and is one of my faves they ever put down. True rocker.

Revolution is not something i listen too over and over but i'm glad it's there. Both Honeys i dig. Not a song on here i don't love. Loved this record since high school. My crowd got into it while reading the Manson book Helter Skelter. Had a Metal cassette of it. Blows the last two weak patched together Beatles albums out of the water. The White album is the last perfectly magic thing they ever did. From the first record to White they did no wrong. Just magic. After that it's just something different. Not the same feel.

Hall Cat likes this.
  9. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

it makes "T-bone" look like a work of genius. oh wait, "T-bone" IS a work of genius.

11. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Didn't use to like this song now after this thread listened to it again. I like it now . The times they are a changing

12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Great smokin' version, but does it say 1965 on the record label? How can that be?

13. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

I think that's a cooywtight date for the name Jewel records, not the date it was recorded.

14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I prefer it to at least 3 WA tracks: Wild Honey Pie, Bungalow Bill and (worst of all) Piggies

15. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Yeah, some of the early Creation singles have a bouncing ball picture, and a cooywtight date that doesn't match the song/tracks

16. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah "Girl" is also one of the weakest Beatles songs. It's certainly the weakest on Rubber Soul.

All Down The Line and Michael like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I liked it, but R9 was not a song...it was pretentious babel...

All Down The Line likes this.
  18. Michael

wow, really...a beautiful melodic song...weak?, nah... IMO.

Crimson jon likes this.
  19. Michael

I like the words first music second. ; )

Paulette likes this.
  20. irender

irender Forum Resident

Sounds like all Paul to me. I like it.

Paulette likes this.
  21. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah apparently John(?) got the idea it would be funny to make asthma like sounds. I also hate that Greek guitar sound in the instrumental break.
    "What Goes On" and "Run For Your Life" were a bit shaky, but Rubber Soul was a great LP.

Michael likes this.
  22. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

sounds like ringo's drumming to me.

23. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Totally!

Michael likes this.
  24. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

I thought it was John singing.
    Paul can sound like him?

25. Michael

Indeed...
    GIRL: I loved the entire song...tit, tit, tit....how'd they get away with that?

RFYL...brilliant. Can you imagine that song coming out TODAY? LOL...

love the entire album since day one..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.