The 1 Song That Ruins An Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dominick, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

You've never made it all the way through Lennon's song, have you?:D Next you'll tell me Roger Waters's Mother is sung entirely in key. There seems to be a theme here; sing about your mother and you end up screaming.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Man at C&A likes this.
  2. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

The cassette version put Heartbreaker at the end of side one and Thank You at the start of side two.

3. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Thank You is one of Led Zeppelins absolute best tracks and the best on LZ II, while Heartbreaker is a rather weak one.

4. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

I've never thought much of Magic man. There are some wonderful cuts and great melodies on Dreamboat Annie, but not magic man

5. Fuzzbee

Fuzzbee Forum Resident

Oh man, that makes sense. I knew I'd heard it that way before.

6. Fuzzbee

Fuzzbee Forum Resident

I have to disagree, but it's possible TY just burnt out on me because I used to like it a lot in High School.

7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Remove "Thank You"?

No Thank You. Nope nope nope.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

If they removed Thank You it would be a Heartbreaker?o_O:D

Fuzzbee and lucan_g like this.
  9. Now you're just ramblin' on.:angel:

John Fell likes this.
  10. Fuzzbee

Fuzzbee Forum Resident

For the record, I never meant that Thank You was a "lemon" of a song, per say (in fact I have a whole lot of love for it). It was just a thought. Removing the song should really never be; it is what it is.

11. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Safe European home and Baba O'Riley because they both raise the bar so high that they make you think the record is going to live up to it... And it just doesn't!

12. jerseyboydavid

jerseyboydavid Forum Resident

I haven't read through EVERY post, but talking Beach Boys... ""Cassius" Love vs. "Sonny" Wilson" on Shut Down Vol 2 and "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" on All Summer Long AND "Bull Session" on Today just don't belong... should have been B sides and replaced with cover songs if need be on the LPs

oldsurferdude likes this.
  13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I like the song and think the video is great. I seem to tbe the only person in the world holding that opinion which makes me feel like they made it just for me!

14. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

I'm sure this will not be a popular opinion, but I think that "Since I've Been Loving You" on the otherwise enjoyable LZ III is 7 minutes plus of absolute torture to sit through, probably my least favorite Led Zeppelin song. Definitely one that was made for the "skip" button.
    :hide::hide:

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

"Fitter Happier" on OK Computer.

I use the word "song" loosely.

16. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Interesting. For me, that song is often the very reason I pull III off the shelf. ;)

17. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Forum Resident

I think Tell Me is pretty bad and although it doesn't ruin The Rolling Stones debut album, I wish they had put something else on it in it's place.

To keep it on a stones related. I also think What To Do ruins Aftermath and Salt of the Earth ruins Beggars Banquet. Luckily they are both at the end of the albums so it's easy to just stop playing them before they start.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

You could always listen to the U.S. version of Aftermath. It is not included. :uhhuh:

Pinstripedclips likes this.
  19. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Forum Resident

Cooler cover, ends with Going Home. Could be worth a go!

20. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Overlong and pointless songs that almost ruin their respective albums :

Sly and family stone :Sex machine
    Germs: Shut down
    Love: Revelation
    Rolling stones :Going home

21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Yes you are right, Lennon does kind of lose it at the end, but most of the song is sung properly. I'm not a fan of Piink Floyd's "Mother" either.

22. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I know this will provoke disagreement, but I think "The Knife" somewhat spoils the Genesis "Trespass" album. It's not horrible, but it's pretty rough and ready compared with other songs of that style that they did later on. I also think if it had to be on the album then it should not have been the closing track. I'd rather the album had ended with "Dusk".

23. You’re right. I dissent!but that’s ok at this stage I think we should stick a knife in it.

24. The Stones “Going Home”doesn’t exactly ruin Aftermath but it could have been shorter and had the same impact and it is misplaced as the closing track for the entire album.

dave9199 likes this.
  25. Although it was the singlefor the album, I’ve never had any affection for You Got Lucky which just plods along luckily Mike Campbell’s guitar solo saves it!

Paul Gase likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.