Dead & Company: The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected (Again), This Time With John Mayer *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 5, 2015.

1. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

Yes, I've been there too many times to count over the years, but not a lot recently as the venue has become primarily a "new country" place.

I'm in Section 6 also, row BB, a few rows behind you (no roof).

Parking lots open at 4:00. If you plan to tailgate, bring opaque cups to put your beverages in. There's usually no problem, but I have seen people hassled for drinking in the lot in years past.

Lines to get into the venue can be long because they usually do a pretty thorough search of everyone going in. Expect to be asked to empty your pockets when entering, perhaps with a police officer nearby.

SBegonias17 likes this.
  2. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Row O here. Thanks for the info. I don't know if I'll do much tailgating, but it's good to know. Sounds like everywhere else I've been in VA/NC

snigglefritz likes this.
  3. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

I'll drink one for you in case you don't!

4. I think their last show (Noblesville I think it was) was possibly the best I've heard them. Stranger was a bit lethargic but otherwise I felt like the tempos were fine and everyone's playing was fantastic. Especially on the Help>Slip>Franks to open set 2.

5. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

D&C killed tonight. Nice 1dt set with BTW, BEW and saint of circumstance as highlights.

Second set was a monster!!!

Here Comes Sunshine
    Eyes of the World (insanely long version)
    Althea
    Scarlet Begonias
    Fire
    Drums
    Space
    All along the watchtower (Mayer unleashed)
    Morning Dew
    E. Johnny B Goode

3 hour drive home. Crash time.

max4334, Claxton, RayS and 7 others like this.
  6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

What's the age range like at these shows? Mayer himself is 40 or so, are there a lot of people that age or younger at these? Is it like what you'd see at a GD show or one of the successors, where you get grizzled veterans on down to high school kids? These shows do cost a lot more than they used to.

I go to a GD cover band thing every summer in my mother's town, I was a bit surprised last year that of the 4 bands, one had a couple of young members and another looked to be all kids in their 20s. And there were a lot of kids in the audience too (though it's a free show, so why not?)

SBegonias17 likes this.
  7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I'm mid 30s and there were plenty of people in my age and younger in Salt Lake City last year. Actually I was a bit surprised to see that many youngsters

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. SBegonias17

I’m mid 30s and expect I’ll see a bit in my age group.

Went last weekend to Melvin Seals and JGB and half the crowd was under 40, including lots of people in their 20s.

The Wheel keeps turning...

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  9. SBegonias17

Awesome set, only downside is that I won’t get Sunshine, Scarlet, or Dew tonight!

snigglefritz likes this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Every time that wheel turn 'round,
    Bound to cover just a little more (new) ground.
    The wheel is turning and you can't slow down

How was the show by the way? Melvin that is

11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Yes.

My opinion is that Jerry would have never allowed some of these ticket prices. My first D&C show at the Bill Graham had a "normal" ticket price, the second, I was on the lawn for like 30 bucks. The next one we had sweet seats, but my brother shelled out like $125 a piece. This time, I paid a lot to be in the pit of a baseball stadium. But for me with this band, one show a tour will do it.

ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Is that yes just for 'they cost a lot more' or yes there are a range of ages there too?

In that 91 interview that @John69 put up last week Garcia implies $25 bucks to see them was kind of a rip, so you're probably right he wouldn't have been on board with these kind of costs.

budwhite likes this.
  13. SBegonias17

Melvin was great. Highlight of what I saw was a slamming Shakedown where he went to town on the keys.

I only saw the first set because the show was 9 pm Mountain time (my first day there from the East Coast), Melvin didn’t take the stage until 1115 (opening act had ended about an hour or so earlier). Broke about an hour or so in and at 1245, I saw someone taking pizza back stage. Realized they wouldn’t take the stage for another half an hour. Had a work appointment at 9am. Thus, I figured I’d get some sleep.

budwhite likes this.
  14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

It was yes to the question you posed, and you posed one question. Your pal, me. :D Actually, reading it, it's not crystal clear is it? YES, YES, YES, your age range question, YES.

When I was on the lawn, I've talked to an old person in a lawn chair, and kids that could be my son's age if I had one. Everybody wants to know what it's about.

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  15. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Last night was so much fun. I'd encourage you all to go listen to Brown Eyed Women or Eyes from last night. This band has gelled and is firing on all cylinders. As wolf would say, X FACTOR was aplenty.

Seems like Mayer is now equally up in the mix and oteil and Jeff have stronger presence as well.

max4334, Claxton, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I was in North Carolina for a conference that ended this morning and was tempted to drive 90 minutes in the wrong direction to go to Raleigh tonight instead of coming straight home. I'll see shortly how bad my decision was (I drove home).

"Cold Rain and Snow" opener on a warm Carolina night.

If you would have told me 25 years ago that a band with 3 surviving members of The Grateful Dead would be out on tour in 2018, and there would be a fat guy in a black t-shirt with grey hair and grey beard standing stage left, I never would have believed you.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Phoenician, SBegonias17 and adamos like this.
  17. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I am planning to see 5 shows this Summer starting Monday night in Saratoga. It is not the Dead but it is still a great experience and they they are playing at a high level. Well worth checking out if you haven't seen them IMO.

18. SBegonias17

25 minute Bird Song > Bertha > Bird Song to end Set 1 will Steal Your Face. Even veteran and grizzled Deadheads were grinning from chin to chin after that one. The first set absolutely smoked (CRS, GSET, Peggy-O, Mexicali, Tenn Jed and the aforementioned medley).

budwhite, RayS and adamos like this.
  19. SBegonias17

It was a bad decision based on Set 1 alone.

RayS likes this.
  20. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

Agree 100%. There are moments of true fire here, especially during the Franklin's jam. Check minute 35, John keeps putting a bar between verses because he's feeling his playing so deeply and keeps extending it. That's what it's all about.

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I watched the entirety of the Raleigh show last night on YouTube, and it was 3 hours very well spent. The band hit a few serious high spots ("Bird Song", "Deal", "Dear Prudence" in particular, for me) that really made me wish I had gone. Mayer seemed to be having such a good time that he could barely control himself. Kind of ironic that they do "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes" much faster than Paul Simon does - it was the fastest thing of the night (I think you could see sweat flying off of Bill's head).

22. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Wonderful show last night at SPAC (5 miles from my door !). Saw the Grateful Dead there in `84,`85 and `88.
    Perfect summer night !
    My 4th time seeing this iteration of the band, tempos were slower but with a great groove going which helped things percolate along nicely.

Tempo`s were not as slow as the last time I saw them however.

Mayer is really impressive, Bobby was in great form overall. I could hear Oteil finally, he was mixed too low in the previous shows I witnessed. A lot of great transitions all night. UJB bracketed drums which was pretty neat (as in they played most of the song into drums/space then finished it out of space) . Drums were awesome.
    Had not seen Corrina since the one time I saw the GD do it in `93 at the Knick (show in the "Porch Crusher" box).
    Black Peter had the crowd so you know it was a good version !

Touch of Greay encore was spot on ! Was surprised to hear it !

Dead & Company Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY, 6/11/18

Set 1:
    1.Jack Straw>
    2.Easy Wind
    3.Friend of the Devil
    4.Minglewood Blues
    5.Ship of Fools
    6.Corrina
    7.Cassidy

Set 2:
    1.The Weight>
    2.Truckin'>
    3.He's Gone>
    4.New Speedway Boogie >
    5.Uncle John's Band>
    6.Drums>
    7.Space>
    8.Uncle John`s Band reprise>
    9.Black Peter
    10.Good Lovin'
    Encore:
    11.Touch of Grey

max4334, Ellsworth, adamos and 4 others like this.
  23. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I was also at the Saratoga show last night. Many of he songs were not ones that I would have picked as favorites tonneau but the show was great. It was a perfect Summer night at a great venue. The open to Jackstraw was special and Cassidy was an absolute barn burner to close the first set.

As mentioned above, the Uncle John's into and out of drums/space. New Highway Boogie and Black Peter were also real highlights. They really turned Black Peter inside out and the crowd was into it. The whole band sounded great imo. I am looking forward to more shows this Summer

24. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Guess what song this was the backdrop for in Hartford last night?

Masterpiece.jpg

ianuaditis and adamos like this.
  25. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident