New Cart choice! Shure V15V w Jico SAS, or Nagaoka MP-150

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ThorensSme, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

With the JICO you have a bit different outcomes with the different V15V variants. The top ones like the V15V-MR has spit pole pins and a very flat frequency response with the original Shure stylus. A JICO SAS will give a peak in the 10-20 kHz region and it probably sounds better if the resistance in RIAA stage is lowered (e.g. 30-40 kOhm). For the Shure V15Vx variants that have a sloping high frequency response the peaking of the SAS stylus makes it sound more neutral. The main point with the SAS is however not whether the frequency response is perfectly linear. It is the distorsion, which is very low, and the very good channel balance and low crosstalk (down to -40 dB).

Here is a comparison of my Shure V15Vx old SAS boron with a new SAS boron:
    [​IMG]

And below is the SAS boron with another loading:

[​IMG]

H8SLKC likes this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

H8SLKC likes this.
  3. Benzion

I was there first!!!

H8SLKC likes this.
  4. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

macster likes this.
  5. Benzion

I think M97 and V15 cart bodies will both accept the same Jico stylus

6. Benzion

an email to LPGear would answer it conclusively

7. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

macster likes this.
  8. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Unless LP Gear says otherwise, I'd play it safe and order the one that claims to be specifically compatible with the OP's cartridge.
    "The Jico SAS VN5MR stylus is used with the Shure V15 Type V, Shure V15V, Shure V15VMR, Shure V15 V-P, Shure VST-V VST V, and Shure ULTRA 500 phono cartridges."

Aftermath, macster and ThorensSme like this.
  9. Cylontymany

Cylontymany Forum Resident

Yep! That is the SAS I have for my V15V and it tracks like a champ!

clevice likes this.
  10. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the helpful info everyone, it seems like the way to go and worth a shot to get the Jico. If I don’t like the sound combo I’m sure someone will take it off my hands.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  11. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

If this thread keeps going
    And PLEASE report back to this thread and let us know the outcome, whatever it is. Best of luck!

macster likes this.
  12. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I concur with your opinion, fact is the original stylus for a V15V is not available since some 15 years, except doubtful NOS units at astronomic prices.

macster likes this.
  13. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

JICO is one of a few styli manufacturers remaining. They do not pull models. They give priority as to whom can purchase them. JICO supplies Tonar which has to be the largest aftermarket styli brand. JICO also supplies various retailers. Nothing about JICO is uncertain.

Jelloalien and macster like this.
  14. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

That will teach them to have a sale !!

macster likes this.
  15. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

Whoooooa Tonar!! :)

I think that sale price was there for a while, good stuff, I’d def be interest to hear how the sas works out for you

PhxJohn likes this.
  16. ThorensSme

Is LPgear also an authroized reseller?

PhxJohn likes this.
  17. macster

macster Forum Resident

Yes, thats where I get mine from.

PhxJohn likes this.
  18. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I think they are the same company with two different websites. LPGear is the largest styli retailer in North America. The largest are in Europe.

1. stylusplus.co.uk

2. thakker.eu

3. pickupnaalden.com

4. lpgear.com

5. turntableneedles.com

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    clevice likes this.
  19. ThorensSme

I ended up going through lp tunes. Will report back after some initial impressions have developed.

20. Cylontymany

Cylontymany Forum Resident

That LP Gear SAS for my type V is the original boron SAS which I don't think they make anymore.

21. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

According to this...

"The cantilever is made of special aluminum alloy tube and boron for extremely efficient transmission of vibrations."

Not sure that they're still making them that way, but apparently they're still selling them.

22. Eric B. Radford

Eric B. Radford Forum Resident

I got a NeoSAS for my v15vxmr not long after they came out, it made a night and day difference, best $250 I ever spent.

23. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

You can email JICO. I have done so in the past. They respond and are exceedingly polite. Unlike Nagaoka who do not even respond. (To me anyway).

24. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

They still do. When they cut the prices of their neoSAS stylii by more than half, there were a lot of strange things happening. First they probably got a lot of orders, I got one of the last ones in December. My neoSAS/R was faulty by the way, and they did answer one mail after this but then nothing. I never got a replaced one.

In addition to lower the prices they also put back the old boron SAS stylii back on the home page to almost the same low prices as before they removed (they first claimed that these boron stylii no longer could be obtained, hence the production of the sapphire neoSAS). A few weeks later all SAS were pulled back from the homepage (probably something to do with their relationship with big dealers such as LPGear who still sold the stylii at the original high prices, and perhaps also as they claim that it was due to too many orders that they could not cope with that.)

After this I ordered a new original boron SAS from LPGear. A lot of questions arise:

Why did they remove the boron SAS from the homepage in the first place? No boron cantilevers? To release an updated neoSAS to sell more?
    Why did the cut the prices of the neoSAS in December 2017 by more than half?
    Why did they put back the original SAS with boron cantilevers at even lower prices than the neoSAS?
    Why did they remove all SAS from the homepage and made it impossible to order them?

25. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

Aftermath and PhxJohn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.