EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

"Feel Like Makin' Love" (Roberta Flack) must have passed the smell test at my local radio station, as I heard this one (there) a lot.

Another pop group had a hit with the same title in 1975, which is why I always name the artist when talking about this one. However, I can't think of a radio station at that time that would have played both songs.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I can't think of one radio station that wouldn't have played both songs.

Manapua likes this.
  3. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

[​IMG]

pablo fanques likes this.
  4. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

More catching up!

Rock the Boat

AppleBonker's verdict: it's disco, baby! :agree::laugh:

Whether it is or not, I do think that the one argument that doesn't make any sense is, 'it was not called disco at the time'. Every genre of art had to have a prototype before it was given a name. You wouldn't have had someone say, 'gee, let's create a new type of music called disco', followed by people rushing out to create this never-before-heard sound. :pineapple: The sound exists first, then the name. And it's quite possible that something else, maybe the Hustle, inspired the genre's christening, but that doesn't mean that earlier songs didn't also exhibit much the same sound without having inspired someone to create a new musical category.

Anyway, I'm no big fan of disco and look forward to being "that guy" as we get into the meat of the craze. But this song, this one I like. I just think it's unusually catchy for a type of song that really only needs a good beat to attract the fans. It was interesting to read just how much work went into capturing the right sound for this one. The vocals are particularly cool, especially when they get all airy as they sometimes do (like in the 'love and devooootion' part).

The Hues Corporation declared Chapter 7 not long after this hit, but at least they made one lasting contribution to the times!

Rock Your Baby

AppleBonker sez: Disco! :) (I promise I won't do this for every song from now on!)

This is one of the big hits from the era that seems to have disappeared from radio. I certainly do recall it, and it's another one I quite like. But it was one of those songs I've always known but never knew who did it or what it was called. So now I do. The end!

Annie's Song

AppleBonker's verdict: Yeah, not disco. Although about as funky as Denver got (yeah, I'm joking, I think).

This is OK, but I can never hear it and not hear: 'and now, the sound of John Denver being strangled: "You **** on my pillow... Urk...." '. (Monty Python reference, of course).

SomeCallMeTim and sunspot42 like this.
  5. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Ol' Jimmy got around back in the mid-sixties; he was a much in-demand session guitarist in Britain before he became a star with the Yardbirds/Led Zeppelin.

6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

:wantsome: ;)

7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

He eventually became known for being a Rock God but I'll bet a lot of folks would be surprised by all the Pop in his background. Leon Russell is another one.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  8. John54

John54 Senior Member

Feel Like Makin' Love is alright but something of a step down from the two previous hits. I've always liked The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face a lot, while Killing Me Softly is a classic. It's not my favourite song, but I do like it.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's ON brother!:wantsome:

They still had disco hits on...Curb Records later on in the 70s. Executive producer: Mike Curb! Of all people!:sigh:

10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

One of my favorite episodes from my favorite all time show. He did a great job in it!

11. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

That's the thing; Mr. Cash was a better actor than many people give him credit for.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  12. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I can think of a few. Obviously, I'm talking about my own area. We've established many times now -- that what we all heard in our local markets was very different.

13. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Been amusing myself trying to imagine what a John Denver attempt at making a disco record would've sounded like.

"Rocky mountain hi-hi-hi, mountain high, mountain high ..."

14. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I think it may be like this...
    "Rocky mountain high
    Rocky mountain high
    Rocky mountain high
    Up Up to the SKYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

Black Thumb and sunspot42 like this.
  15. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

And here's the proof in the puddin' of how the "Rubina Flake" alias came after "Feel Like Makin' Love" topped the charts and then fell off it:
    [​IMG]

16. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I don't believe this was from a full album by Ms. B, but a one-off single for A.L.Okdgan's Immediate label. It is interesting to imagine what a full LP in this " international Europop " vein might've been like, but alas, 'twas not to be.
    I have often thought that the Immediateabel's catalog is among the most reissued and repackaged caralogs ever!:eek::rolleyes:

Bonker, post: 18889175, member: 74551"]Sundown

Really like this one. I guess I'm a Gordon Lightfoot fan and didn't realize it. I don't recall this one getting played on the radio that often, but my mom had a couple of his records (she always liked folkies and light rock types) and that's probably where I heard this one.

My favorite of his songs is no doubt If You Could Read My Mind, and I quite like Carefree Highway as well. I even have a sheet music book of his.

I saw him on a talk show a couple of years ago (Ellen?), playing some of his songs. He was in bad shape. He seemed to be suffering from some sort of arthritis, and I even vaguely recall a breathing tube in his nose, but I might be wrong about that.

Before he became a successful artist, he was a songwriter trying to get others to cover his stuff. One cover I like was by Nico, who covered Lightfoot's I'm Not Saying for one of her more conventional albums, shortly before she joined the Velvet Underground. Sure, she kind of sounds like a frog at times, but I think she does a good job here, and the production has a nice, wistful quality to it like some of the best folk rock.

[/QUOTE]

17. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

.. The Hues Corporation's follow-up, " Rockin' Soul " was a near-soundaline to " RT " - as the title might indicate :p
    From a Best-Of collection by them I also recall a nice, sorta Vegas-y, dramatic number titled " You Showed Me What Love Is ":love:.

18. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

The charts were quite different in the past, as radio wasn't as homogenized (as it became in the 80s) then.
    Take this Chicago survey, where the latest Beach Boys hit soared all the way to No. 2 !!!
    Do it Again only made the Top 20 nationally.
    (Hey Jude stayed at No. 1 on WLS for only a week).

[​IMG]

Marty Milton

19. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

"Magic Bus" at #5? I'll have what THEY'RE having...

20. pudgym

pudgym Monster Raving Loony

Oh wow. Where do I start?
    Doug, could I request you send the URL of this post to the otherwise fine people at ME-TV FM? Because, while it plays a number of the songs from this survey, there are a bunch which are unbeknown to it (so it seems).
    Which? Ohmigawd! Here I go!
    • Magic Bus (I have yet to hear a Who song on ME-TV FM)
    • Indian Reservation (!) (It plays the Raiders' version occasionally.)
    • Girl Watcher
    • Soul Drippin' (a Chicago band! play it, play it!)
    • The Weight (Who has heard the Jackie DeShannon version of this song?)
    • I Met Her In Church (It plays a number of Box Tops records, but not this one.)
    • The Snake - "Show & Tell" is in regular rotation. What's the aversion to this record, written by Chicago's Oscar Brown, Jr.?
    • Poor Baby (The station is in bed with MGM records. Why has it not played this record?)
    • Greenburg, Glickstein, Charles David Smith & Jones (Another local act. Play it. Do we really need to hear "Brown Eyed Girl" once more?)
    • Baby Come Back (This is getting a reappraisal on its quality, that it got some airplay back then. Boost the station's status by playing it.)
    • Help Yourself (The station celebrated Tom Jones' birthday. Some obscure tracks were heard. But not this one.)
    • Ice In The Sun (This may be my artsy-fartsy recommendation, because I do not believe I have heard this record. But the fact that a Chicago radio station was willing to play a track that was not "Pictures Of Matchstick Men" means ME-TV FM should give it a spin.)
    Realize.. "nothing can change the shapes of things / nothing can change the shapes of things / nothing can change the shapes of things to come" ;)

21. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

I posted the link at the bottom of the thread.
    The pic was from a Facebook weekly radio charts group, Top 40 Surveys.
    There are also FB groups on Casey Kasem's program, AM radio, Lost Hits, Total 60s, etc.

Link below. Not sure why it appears as someone's name.

Marty Milton

Top 40 Surveys

22. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident

Eh, do yourself a favor (or not) and Google for a little number called “Dancing with the Mountains.” Imagination is better than reality, no doubt.

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I’m not doin’ it!

Skywheel likes this.
  24. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

I did and it was everything I ever dreamed of! :D

Now if I could just figure out what other song it reminds me of. The melody is naggingly familiar.

25. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

That song sure sounded like a No. 1, as did Back Stabbers (but not Love Train, imo).
    Here's what the charts looked like the week the great Ojays peaked at No. 9.

Some of my fav's highlighted, as well as some am not familiar with (Blue Suede's Silly Milly, for example).

Of note is The Hollies' The Air That I Breathe, one of the great British group's most loved songs (and one of their last charting singles).
    The song, which would peak at No. 6, sure sounded like a No. 1.
    It's one of the greatest songs of the year.

US Top 40 Singles Week Ending 15th June, 1974
    [​IMG]

TW LW TITLE –•– Artist (Label)-Weeks on Chart (Peak To Date)

1 6 BILLY, DON’T BE A HERO –•– Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods (ABC)-9 (1 week at #1) (1)
    2 3 YOU MAKE ME FEEL BRAND NEW –•– The Stylistics (Avco)-13 (2)
    3 5 SUNDOWN –•– Gordon Lightfoot (Reprise)-10 (3)

4 2 THE STREAK –•– Ray Stevens (Barnaby)-10 (1)
    5 1 BAND ON THE RUN –•– Paul McCartney and Wings (Apple)-9 (1)
    6 4 DANCING MACHINE –•– Jackson 5 (Motown)-14 (2)
    7 11 BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU GOT –•– William DeVaughn (Roxbury)-7 (7)
    8 8 THE ENTERTAINER –•– Marvin Hamlisch (MCA)-13 (3)
    9 10 FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY –•– The O’Jays (Philadelphia International)-10 (9)
    10 9 MIDNIGHT AT THE OASIS –•– Maria Muldaur (Reprise)-17 (6)

11 15 IF YOU LOVE ME (Let Me Know) –•– Olivia Newton-John (MCA)-10 (11)
    12 7 HELP ME –•– Joni Mitchell (Asylum)-14 (7)

13 17 HOLLYWOOD SWINGING –•– Kool and the Gang (De-Lite)-9 (13)
    14 12 MY GIRL BILL –•– Jim Stafford (MGM)-9 (12)
    15 14 THE LOCO-MOTION –•– Grand Funk (Capitol)-15 (1)
    16 21 HAVEN’T GOT TIME FOR THE PAIN –•– Carly Simon (Elektra)-6 (16)
    17 16 THE SHOW MUST GO ON –•– Three Dog Night (Dunhill)-14 (4)

18 20 YOU WON’T SEE ME –•– Anne Murray (Capitol)-9 (18)
    19 13 OH VERY YOUNG –•– Cat Stevens (A&M)-14 (10)
    20 18 I WON’T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU –•– The Carpenters (A&M)-10 (11)

21 24 SAVE THE LAST DANCE FOR ME –•– The DeFranco Family Featuring Tony DeFranco (20th Century)-7 (21)
    22 29 ON AND ON –•– Gladys Knight and the Pips (Buddah)-4 (22)
    23 45 ROCK THE BOAT –•– The Hues Corporation (RCA)-4 (23)
    24 30 I’M COMING HOME –•– The Spinners (Atlantic)-5 (24)
    25 28 ONE HELL OF A WOMAN –•– Mac Davis (Columbia)-12 (25)
    26 23 (I’ve Been) SEARCHIN’ SO LONG –•– Chicago (Columbia)-14 (9)
    27 35 THE AIR THAT I BREATHE –•– The Hollies (Epic)-9 (27)

28 31 SON OF SAGITTARIUS –•– Eddie Kendricks (Tamla)-6 (28)
    29 22 DON’T YOU WORRY ‘BOUT A THING –•– Stevie Wonder (Tamla)-11 (16)
    30 37 IF YOU WANNA GET TO HEAVEN –•– The Ozark Mountain Daredevils (A&M)-9 (30)

31 38 RIKKI DON’T LOSE THAT NUMBER –•– Steely Dan (ABC)-6 (31)
    32 40 SIDESHOW –•– Blue Magic (Atco)-5 (32)
    33 43 ROCK AND ROLL HEAVEN –•– The Righteous Brothers (Haven)-4 (33)
    34 62 ROCK YOUR BABY –•– George McCrae (T.K.)-3 (34)
    35 19 I’M IN LOVE –•– Aretha Franklin (Atlantic)-11 (19)
    36 25 JUST DON’T WANT TO BE LONELY –•– The Main Ingredient (RCA)-20 (10)
    37 60 ANNIE’S SONG –•– John Denver (RCA)-3 (37)
    38 26 BENNIE AND THE JETS –•– Elton John (MCA)-18 (1)
    39 47 TRAIN OF THOUGHT –•– Cher (MCA)-4 (39)
    40 27 TSOP (The Sound Of Philadelphia) –•– MFSB Featuring the Three Degrees (Philadelphia International)-16 (1)

THIS WEEK’S DROPS

41 32 ANOTHER PARK, ANOTHER SUNDAY –•– The Doobie Brothers (Warner Brothers)-9 (32)
    43 34 COME AND GET YOUR LOVE –•– Redbone (Epic)-23 (5)

44 33 MIGHTY MIGHTY –•– Earth, Wind and Fire (Columbia)-15 (29)
    47 36 THE PAYBACK (Part 1) –•– James Brown (Polydor)-13 (26)
    48 39 NO CHARGE –•– Melba Montgomery (Elektra)-10 (39)

POWER PLAYS

42 46 ALREADY GONE –•– Eagles (Asylum)-7 (42)
    45 50 WILDFLOWER –•– The New Birth (RCA)-6 (45)
    46 41 ONE CHAIN DON’T MAKE NO PRISON –•– The Four Tops (Dunhill)-7 (41)
    49 51 CAN YOU HANDLE IT –•– Graham Central Station (Warner Brothers)-7 (49)
    50 56 LA GRANGE –•– ZZ Top (London)-12 (50)

DEBUTS THIS WEEK

75 — JIVE TURKEY (Part 1) –•– The Ohio Players (Mercury)-1 (75)
    79 — TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD –•– Rufus (ABC)-1 (79)
    80 — THAT SONG IS DRIVING ME CRAZY –•– Tom T. Hall (Mercury)-1 (80)
    81 — SILLY MILLY –•– Blue Swede (EMI)-1 (81)
    83 — MACHINE GUN –•– The Commodores (Motown)-1 (83)
    87 — YOU AND ME AGAINST THE WORLD –•– Helen Reddy (Capitol)-1 (87)
    90 — MR. PRESIDENT –•– Dickie Goodman (Rainy Wednesday)-1 (90)
    91 — FISH AIN’T BITIN’ –•– Lamont Dozier (ABC)-1 (91)
    92 — I’M FALLING IN LOVE WITH YOU –•– Little Anthony and the Imperials (Avco)-1 (92)
    93 — THERE WILL NEVER BE ANY PEACE (Until God Is Seated At the Conference Table) –•– The Chi-Lites (Brunswick)-1 (93)
    97 — WAKE UP AND LOVE ME –•– April Stevens (A&M)-1 (97)
    98 — THE NIGHT CHICAGO DIED –•– Paper Lace (Mercury)-1 (98)
    99 — WILD THING –•– Fancy (Big Tree)-1 (99)

sunspot42 likes this.