Star Wars: Solo First Details of 4K Blu Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Song4U, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I tend to agree that the timing was terrible. They had already established that December was the release date for the last three movies, so I think the audience were used to that release schedule. (I know I did a double-take when I saw the release date for Solo.) There really wasn't any hunger for yet another Star Wars movie six months after The Last Jedi.

Also, releasing the movie on Memorial Day weekend is just bad timing, period. For many of us who live in northern states, Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start of summer. Lots of people make plans to get out and enjoy the nice weather, not to sit inside and watch a movie.

2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

All the George Lucas Star Wars movies were released in mid to late May. Didn’t seem to hurt their business any.

When The Force Awakens came out fans fretted that it wouldn't feel right to watch Star Wars at Christmas...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    tkl7 likes this.
  3. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Even if one ignores the precedent set by the previous three movies, where the public learned to accept (and expect) a Star Wars movie around Christmas, George Lucas never released two Star Wars movies within six months of each other. Had there been the standard three-year wait between movies that was typical of the Lucas era, I think the movie could have done well with a May release date... as fan hunger would have been strong enough to make the date irrelevant. As it was, most people I know just couldn't get excited for another movie so soon after The Last Jedi.

I also think the movie was poorly-promoted. I remember seeing much less advertising prior to the release than with previous releases. It was almost as if they decided to stop dumping money into the movie and simply hope they would break even.

Vidiot, David Campbell and Encuentro like this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The issue of it being too soon after the last one is separate from the supposed issue of Memorial Day being the wrong time to release a Star Wars movie... it’s weird to hear this being argued when both the classic Star Wars movies and the prequels were also released in late May. It is a common time to release blockbuster movies.

Lucasfilm/Disney has actually been intending to move the movies back to May for a while... both Last Jedi and episode IX were originally scheduled for May releases.

The success of the Marvel movies renders the “too soon” argument pretty moot for me too actually.... a ton of people happily watched Thor and the Hulk onscreen in “Infinity War” five months after seeing them in “Thor Ragnarok” in November. To say nothing of Black Panther. Solo hardly even had any characters in common with Last Jedi.

Simon A likes this.
  5. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Whatever the cause, the numbers at the box office have spoken. Whether it was Star Wars fatigue, the release date, or just general lack of interest, people simply didn't turn up in the numbers that were expected.

6. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Speaking from personal experience, The Last Jedi completely killed any excitement I would have had in Solo. I have four friends from work who are SW fans. Of them, three feel the same way as I do and didn't see Solo. The third (who also didn't like TLJ) did see Solo and liked it. I'll probably see it eventually (I haven't made some vow to give up the franchise), but I didn't feel compelled to rush out and see it in the theater.

Anecdotal data, I know, but TLJ absolutely affected my decision not to see Solo. Make of that what you will.

seed_drill, Jrr and will_b_free like this.
  7. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more!

Jrr likes this.
  8. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Solo did poorly because two of Disney's first three Star Wars movies were bad. Disney has only had one excellent Star Wars film. It is as simple as that. People aren't going to return to the theatres to see Star Wars films that are not by JJ Abrams, until there is proof that someone other than him can make an excellent Star Wars film.

If Disney is smart, when the final film in Rey's trilogy is released, they should tout "From the writer and director of The Force Awakens" in huge letters, as a mea culpa to everyone who has been let down by what came afterwards.

(I haven't seen Solo yet. I am sure I will spent $20 on the home video release of it - but I feel like I wasted $20 on Rouge One and then I again felt like I'd wasted $20 on The Last Jedi, so at this point maybe I will wait for Netflix).

FACE OF BOE and daglesj like this.
  9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

That’s cool. Individually, people have their own reasons for seeing or not seeing films. I hated Age of Ultron, so I haven’t seen Infinity War.

The quality of The Last Jedi is subjective and likely has no bearing on Solo’s performance. The Last Jedi was a critical and commercial success. 91% on Rotten Tomatoes and $1 billion at the box office. It didn’t make $1 billion in one weekend. It took time. Despite a very small minority of very vocal critics, the film had box office sustainability. People kept showing up, over and over again, week after week. The vocal minority of very vocal critics couldn’t keep this film down. Why? Because the critics are right. This a great film, a near masterpiece! The critics nailed it! And the majority who actually showed up at the box office agreed. $1 billion. An A on CinemaScore where the scores can’t be driven by internet trolls.

10. I honestly don't understand these people and they were around before the internet complaining in comic book stores, at conventions, etc. but the internet makes it more personal, direct and toxic.

If you want to see films like the original trilogy, watch the original trilogy. It's kind of like eating the same food everyday--there is so much more to experience than chicken nuggets.

Vidiot and Encuentro like this.
  11. For the record, I liked some of the bold moves in "The Last Jedi" and felt it was a better movie than J.J. Abrams film which was a stealth remake of the original in so many ways it felt derivative. I also enjoyed "Rogue One" which I felt took the origin story for the Death Star plans (and of the Death Star something of which I felt didn't need to be told before I saw "Rogue One") took some interesting risks as well.

bferr1 and Robert C like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I personally thought Last Jedi was OK, but I also thought The Force Awakens was OK as well. Neither was great, but I was relieved in both cases that they were better than Phantom Menace. Hell, even Solo (which was a disappointing movie) didn't get that bad. Rogue One I thought was not that great... and if you want to know the truth, I'm not in a hurry to see any of these movies again. But the original three 1970s/1980s films generally hold up very well on repeated viewings. I don't think the new films are going to have the same regard in 2050.

seed_drill and wayneklein like this.
  13. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

I went to see Solo with my wife and 10 year old son the other night. (In contrast to previous SW releases where it's been opening night all the way)

Unfortunately we all walked out of there thinking 'meh'. Completely underwhelmed/bored with Solo.

I feel no need to see this film again and that's the first I've ever felt like that with a SW release (although TLJ was close too).

Nothing will ever match the magic of the original trilogy, but I was happy to watch them try. I didn't think there was a demand for another SW release so soon after TLJ, and it seems to be the case.

I can't believe it after 35+ years, but I think I've hit the wall with SW at the moment. Too much quantity over quality. (I did enjoy Rogue One though)

14. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Will they fix the dreadful colour balance and lighting for the BD? You know so you can actually see the faces etc.

15. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I dunno why Rogue One got so much hate, I liked it a lot. I watched it twice and that's something I rarely do nowadays.
    Still haven't seen Last Jedi. (it's coming to Netflix at the end of the month so I'll finally get around to it then).
    Looking forward to seeing Solo down the road.

I guess I'm easy to please, and thankfully not one of those "toxic" fanboys. :D

daca likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Actually, $1.3 billion worldwide... and that's a lotta dough.

Given the fairly harsh criticism of the dense image on Solo, I would bet they will brighten the highlights for the home video. I keep saying, there's a way to make an image "feel" dark without making it dull, muddy, and crushed. We did it on Lost every week (and that's a show that had some tough night scenes, lit only by fire), and they do it very well on the Walking Dead shows: dark and dramatic, but not so dark that you can't see what's going on.

Song4U, PTgraphics, bferr1 and 2 others like this.
  17. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member Thread Starter

18. will_b_free

Song4U and Rhett like this.
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Not going to happen, as the same sources that are reporting that the standalone films are on hiatus are also reporting that Lucasfilm’s focus after Episode IX will be the Rian Johnson trilogy. One again, the vocal minority is projecting its minority view onto the masses. Johnson’s work has resulted in $1.3 billion at the box office, a 91% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, an A on CinemaScore where the score can’t be driven down by internet trolls, and Lucasfilm has enough confidence in Rian Johnson to go ahead with his trilogy.

SuntoryTime, Plan9, Song4U and 2 others like this.
  20. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

And I believe it did poorly due to the backlash of The Last Jedi. I know fans grumbled a bit with The Force Awakens (as did I) but the Last Jedi just blew. And I think fans have had enough of the treatment of the characters and story.
    I think a lot of people stayed away from Solo on many levels and I believe the backlash played a big part in it.
    Just my opinion.

budwhite likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Also here:

Exclusive: Future ‘A Star Wars Story’ Spinoffs on Hold at Lucasfilm

Encuentro likes this.
  22. will_b_free

You like repeating the Rotten Tomatoes results for The Last Jedi - minus the audience scores (that you omit), which are only half as positive as The Force Awakens.

So let's look at those results. The Last Jedi got essentially the same attendance as The Force Awakens. Everyone who saw The Force Awakens wanted to see the second part of the trilogy, and that is a great credit to The Force Awakens. So good for JJ for laying the groundwork for that.

So what happened next? The audience ratings for The Last Jedi came in as only half as good as The Force Awakens, and the home video sales of The Last Jedi came in at half of what they were for The Force Awakens.

These are just objective numbers. You can believe there is a conspiracy of "internet trolls", but I believe the home video sales are just a reflection of people not liking the film enough to buy it.

(I do believe there is a well documented conspiracy of a very few internet trolls who are trying to convince people that the low audience scores for The Last Jedi are because there are women in the film, but I don't for a minute believe that anything other than poor writing is to blame).

I suppose people who voice their opinions on the net are always a minority, so calling people who say they didn't like The Last Jedi a "vocal minority" is always correct. Similarly, those who liked The Last Jedi are also a "vocal minority". And professional critics are the smallest minority of all - smaller than them both. Those who didn't buy The Last Jedi on home video are the real majority.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    seed_drill and budwhite like this.
  23. Song4U

Wow, that video says that the Obi Wan movie was absolutely in production...I knew they were saying that the Obi Wan movie would be the next solo film but I didn't know it was already in production. So this puts the breaks on all this. Something else we have to remember, while I agree that they need to pace these more appropriately and not just push them out but have great story lines but we also need to remember that actors like Ewan Mcgregor are not getting any younger.

I still don't think Solo was all bad...it was really a rush and I think they could have slowed the story line down some so that it would anticipate a part II instead they tried to cram so much in especially the beginning. Like I would have wanted to know more about him growing up and how he got to where we first see him in Solo and also about how he became a flyer instead of showing us the war field on the ground. One of the video reviews I read was spot on when they said how he got his last name, Solo, that scene was so corny but it could have been made brilliant. Also why was he so hesitant about having a last name, we don't even know anything about that? was he born as just Han? lol

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Robert C likes this.
  24. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

And don't forget they like to call you a 'troll' or 'internet troll' if you voice disdain for TLJ.

25. Song4U

Not to get off topic but I loved Lost and every week I was on the edge of my seat about what was going to happen next, it was beautifully filmed indoors and out. I can still remember going to work the next day after Lost and everyone was talking about the show the night before, cliff hangers every week, it was glorious...I miss those days of great television.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.