Dave Matthews Band - Come Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mattdm11, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Didn't see a thread on this.....sorry if one has already been started.

https://www.davematthewsband.com/news/dave-matthews-band-reveals-track-listing-for-come-tomorrow/

Lots of songs they have been playing in concert for years....Idea of You has been over a decade. I think I read somewhere the LeRoi was on the album, and it would make sense if he was on this song.....

A guaranteed #1 spot upon its release. :) It's about time....almost 6 years since AFTW, which I think is pretty darn good, which followed Big Whiskey, which was also very good.

2. mattdm11

Album has no Boyd on it (damn you Boyd....). They are a different band without the violin.

driverdrummer likes this.
  3. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens

Just finished listening to this album on Spotify and IMO it’s really good. “Again and Again” is definitely a stand out-track.

4. mattdm11

I'm disappointed. Even the one track I thought would be killer in the studio, Idea of You, they start with a live intro? WTF.

It used to be the Dave Matthews BAND. This album makes it sound like the DAVE MATTHEWS Band. Don't get me wrong, I even liked his solo album. This is just different for me.

Maybe I'll warm up to it.

5. mattdm11

This is the same man who wrote Two Step, The Stone, Dancing Nancies, Seek Up, #41. Doesn't seem possible.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  6. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

I'll be giving it a listen soon, but to be honest I've not really connected with his last 2 studio albums.

7. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I think aside from horrendous mastering, it's a very good album. I like it better than Some Devil because Carter is on this one and he makes any of those SD songs so much better live vs. the standard rock drums we got with Brady on the album.

I have some issues with the sequencing of the album, otherwise I think from She onwards it flows well (Be Yourself scat notwithstanding) and while I detest the Coldplay / Clocks drumming pattern in IOY, the studio version has grown on me quickly. It's cool to hear Roi, Boyd and Butch on a track. With the exception of the vocals, the parts are pretty much what was laid down in '06 at Haunted Hollow.

Was surprised that Come On Come On was an old Batson session from Haunted Hollow too, copyright is 2008 but it was most certainly from the '06/'07 sessions that spawned Shotgun and The Idea of You. Cool that Butch Taylor is on that one.

When I'm Weary is beautiful.

Faves - Do You Remember, Come On Come On, When I'm Weary, Again And Again, Virginia in the Rain and Idea of You.

cevans121 and Panama Jack like this.
  8. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Dave Matthews Band - Come Tomorrow
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR5 over -7.52 dB 01 - Samurai Cop (Oh Joy Begin).mp3
    DR5 over -6.81 dB 02 - Can't Stop.mp3

DR8 -0.11 dB -10.33 dB 03 - Here On Out.mp3
    DR6 -0.03 dB -9.38 dB 04 - That Girl Is You.mp3
    DR6 over -6.19 dB 05 - She.mp3
    DR5 over -7.62 dB 06 - Idea of You.mp3

DR7 -0.12 dB -10.10 dB 07 - Virginia in the Rain.mp3
    DR5 over -6.90 dB 08 - Again and Again.mp3
    DR8 -0.13 dB -11.66 dB 09 - bkdkdkdd.mp3
    DR6 -0.00 dB -7.87 dB 10 - Black and Blue Bird.mp3
    DR6 over -7.37 dB 11 - Come On Come On.mp3
    DR6 over -7.83 dB 12 - Do You Remember.mp3
    DR6 over -7.77 dB 13 - Come Tomorrow.mp3

DR12 -0.36 dB -15.12 dB 14 - When I'm Weary.mp3

Number of files: 14
    Official DR value: DR7

dobyblue likes this.
  9. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

Agree with Doby....I like much of this album (though it starts slow and improves from the middle tracks on). I was listening to the HD Tracks and those DR readings look right. I had to do some major tinkering just to be able to listen to it at a decent volume.......shame

10. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

I like the album a lot and consider it a worthy addition to the catalog. Funny, though, it feels both old and new at the same time since I've already been listening to live versions of several of the songs for years.

11. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

I'm digging it. Listening to it now, love the song That Girl Is You.

12. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

...love the new album. I wish they released a high dynamic range edition.

dobyblue likes this.
  13. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Only ever dipped into this band (no one in UK has ever heard of them)..... but i love this album. My album of year so far. A love album to a child/wife????? Is there a back story to these songs?

dobyblue likes this.
  14. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

It has now been so long since those songs that it hardly seems like the same band (and 2/5 of that band is no longer in the band). Too bad, cause this band was so awesome in the 90's. New album sounds okay, but I can't imagine ever wanting to listen to it again.

15. mattdm11

It just kinda sounds like anyone else. DMB has always been so unique with their sound.

JasonA likes this.
  16. George Co-Stanza

I don't think they ever really got their mojo back after doing Everyday. That was like cutting the balls off of DMB's sound, and while many of the songs from the aborted Lillywhite Sessions were included on Busted Stuff, the majority of those versions sounded stiff and kinda lifeless; the slick production did not help either. Then we got the worthless Stand Up. They had a nice rebound with the Big Whiskey... album (obviously very inspired to make a great record following Moore's unfortunate passing), but then we got the mostly mediocre Away from the World and now this new one. Sucks to see a once-great band releasing such painfully mediocre albums, but it is what it is.

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Agreed. That album was the one for me that broke the camels back for me. Shame.

18. George Co-Stanza

The odd thing for me is, while Everyday sounds like an emasculated DMB, it does have some good songs. It was just such a letdown following Before These Crowded Streets and knowing that those new great songs that they were playing on tour in 2000 were put on the back burner in favor of horse manure like I Did It and Angel.

19. mattdm11

The Lillywhite Sessions destroy Busted Stuff. I can't stand BS because of it. Most of the songs are far superior on LWS. Everyday was a shock to the system. Stand Up....had a few decent songs. You Might Die Trying, American Baby Into and American Baby being the best songs (and ABI is nothing at all like it is live). Big Whiskey starts out great, but the middle of the album sort of doesn't do it for me. I really like AFTW, I am not a fan of Mercy, and Gaucho is ok, but I enjoy the rest of the album.

It boggles my mind some of the songs this band hasn't released. We had to wait for the 20th anniversary of UTTAD to get Granny, Blue Water hasn't been released, #40 (which could still be a hit, even today, it's that good)....and some more for sure. Hopefully the band could do a nice rarities CD, I'd love to hear a version of Seek Up that wasn't recorded in a bathroom (I think that's the story....).

The rare/demo/outtake stuff this band could release would be some of their best work. They have a lot of gems on the shelf.

If you believe what was written about the LWS, had they released that album, they may have very well broken up. But if that were true, that four album run would have been as good as any album run in history. I'll never forget the day BEF leaked on the internet, and soon after, the whole album did. People who disliked Everyday hated it more after that. Every time "Angel" comes on, I cringe and quickly hit the button for the next track. (how funny, I just looked above, and see you mentioned how bad this track was as well.....)

RoyalScam and George Co-Stanza like this.
  20. George Co-Stanza

I do think one issue with their music post-BTCS is the lack of extended instrumental sections in their studio versions. Sure, the occasional song will stretch out a little, but we just don't get stuff like the Warehouse intro, or that outro to Crush, or something like the second half of 41, etc., on a regular basis anymore. They like to add jams to songs live to make them longer, but far too often, those jams are completely independent from the "normal" song. Besides, every live version of Jimi Thing seems to be 15+ minutes, and I don't always want to be listening to a 15-minute version of a great 6-minute song. If they recorded that song now, it would probably be cut down to be more concise and be like 4 minutes. Nothing wrong with a great concise song (see: Satellite, So Much to Say, etc.), but stretching out a little was part of the charm of early DMB, and that is something that has largely gone away. Only one song on the new record is over 5 minutes (and that one is a little over 6). Contrast that to Before These Crowded Streets where the average song length was nearly 7 minutes.

mattdm11 likes this.
  21. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

Man, those numbers depresses me! Just bought the cd after listening to the album on spotify. Great album, shame about the mastering.
    Why artists doesn't care about a good sounding master, I will never know...

amoergosum likes this.
  22. mattdm11

Yep. Another reason Glen Ballard ruined them. They even made Grey Street shorter. They jam out the long songs too long (Jimi Thing being the prime example), and they don't do enough of that in the studio. Then again, even 2:30 of Smooth Rider is too much, I don't need that one to be 7 minutes :)

23. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Kind of fell off the wagon with DMB. They were pretty much a Grateful Dead type of band in the sense of fantatical fanbases and may still be. During the millennial generation I grew up in there were plenty of folks I knew who were big fans starting in middle school and were still fans in high school and college. In fact, they still seemed to be among the more popular artists among college students a little over a decade ago.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  24. George Co-Stanza

Considering 2/5 of the core lineup is now gone, those two being the main instrumentalists when it comes to solos, it is not surprising how far the band has fallen. Dave can still bust out a catchy melody, but the decoration provided by the other band members could usually turn a solid song into a very good one, or a good song into a great one. That is now largely absent.

25. mattdm11

Sorry guys, a year later and this album is still your worst work. By far. This is lipstick on a pig, at best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.