Portable Hi-Res Player - FLAC, DSD/DSF etc.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rjstauber, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjstauber

rjstauber Senior Member Thread Starter

I am in the market for a high quality potable player and I have some specific requirements:

- FLAC playback up to 24/192
    - native DSF playback (DSD64 is sufficient)
    - large storage (1 TB or more would be nice)
    - album artwork support
    - good headphone amp via 1/8" connection
    - support for bluetooth headphone connection (Bose Quiet Comfort) for air travel and convenience
    - good battery life
    - line out 1/8" connection (for car usage via Aux-in)
    - price preferably below $500

The HIFI WALKER H2 is very close to my requirements but does not support album artwork, as far as I know.

Any hints and recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I have heard loads, and still for me the HIFIMAN HM-901s is the best sounding, if that's too rich then Ibasso DX90
    Just avoid AK, very overpriced.
    Not sure about blue tooth, if that's a deal breaker look at using your phone with a Chord Mojo instead.

rjstauber likes this.
  3. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

It's a bit above your price limit, but you should check out the FiiO X7 Mark II. It's their top of the line DAP and has all the features you're looking for. It's also an Android device, so if you don't like the UI you can use any Android music player. The less expensive FiiO X5 Mark III also hits all your bullet points, but you sound like a top-end guy.

LeeS and rjstauber like this.
  4. rjstauber

The HIFIMAN HM-901s does not seem to be easily available in Germany.

The FiiO players look good. I don't need the ultimate best in sound quality, decent will be enough.

Bluetooth is pretty much a must.

MQA support would be cool but not many options right now.

5. rjstauber

There is a quite cheap player called
    AGPTEK H3

which seems to meet my requirements. Does anyone have any experience with it?

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The FiioX3 Gen 3 has most of what you’re looking for including Bluetooth.

7. rjstauber

I decided to give the Fiio X7 Mark II a try.

Soundslave, jkauff and Brenald79 like this.
  8. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Let us know your thoughts on it please.

9. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

It looks like Aptx HD Bluetooth could become more popular soon. As far as I know Astell and Kern are the brand which has decided to put this feature into their players. If I was buying one I would investigate if that was something I would want to use.

10. rjstauber

I will, as soon as it is up and running.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  11. rjstauber

I got it up and running, sounds nice.

No gapless playback with DSD/DSF files though, at least not with the installed app.

is there a ecommended Andriod app for music playback?

I have seen in one youtube video something called hubby or huble or similar, what is the correct name?

12. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Are you thinking of BubbleUPnP?

I have no experience with gapless on Android, so cannot advise.

14. rjstauber

Not sure if that was it.

15. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

There's an Android version of foobar2000 on the Google Play site. I use the iOS version and it's excellent, although I haven't used it for gapless DSF playback.

I think there's an Onkyo-branded player for Android. The iOS version has lots of fans.

It's possible you don't have the latest firmware--that's available on the FiiO website. If you do, you can report this as a bug on the dedicated FiiO product thread on the Head-Fi forums. FiiO is pretty good about fixing bugs and issuing regular firmware updates.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  16. rjstauber

The app I was talking about is called HibyMusic, I think.

I just installed it.

It does gapless playback in DSD also.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

18. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

What size micro sd cards are you going to use? I currently use 200 gb in both my Fiio X3 II, and my Xduoo X10 (dual slots in it).

19. rjstauber

So far, I have one 200 GB in there, but need more space. Thinking about a 400 GB card, I heard it supposedly works in the player.

20. ErikV

ErikV Forum Resident

Astell & Kern AK380 can be found on ebay at good prices. It can function as a very good usb dac as well in any hi end audio system.

21. rjstauber

The 400 GB SanDisk card seems to work fine. But I am using my laptop and a microSD to SD adapter to put content on the card, not via the FiiO X7 Mark II.

22. rjstauber

I want to thank you again for recommending the Fijo X7 Mk. II.

I have been very happy with the player, and it sounds great. Have been doing some research, and it has a really high quality DAC, the ESS 9028PRO which is their second best DAC after the ESS 9038PRO. I am glad I went with their top of the line model and not th Fijo X5 or X3.

Yesterday, I hooked up the player via the line out connection to my NAD M3 and compared the playback of a DSD file with the playback of the same file through my OPPO 105 (which has an ESS 9018 DAC), and to me, the playback via the Fijo sounded just as good as via the OPPO, and slightly better than playing back the same SACD disc via the OPPO.

jkauff likes this.
  23. bucketOtrouble

bucketOtrouble Active Member

have the Hidisz AP200. Besides some bugs in Hiby Software works with current firmware. Miss a dedicated lineout. Plays DSD128 without issues (i think i played DSD256 once as well). Bought it at fair price but the company Hidisz is not what you call customer-friendly.

24. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

FiiO X3 II is very good. I can control it without removing from a pocket. That is why I would not want a touch screen of X5. SD cards capacity is smaller than you want though.
    Last time I flied to Europe (about two weeks ago ), they said Bluetooth is not allowed during ALL flight. I don't remember if such announcements are normal, but it makes sense.
    Edit: Oh, sorry, I missed your last post, you already got a player

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Kiko1974 likes this.
  25. I'm not getting rid of my FiiO X3 Mk II anytime soon, I like how it sounds matched with FiiO earbuds (I don't remember the model right now) , I find both the wheel and buttons fully responsive and I don't have to deal with a touchscreen that I don't like and get uglily dirty. Only issue is that the/my FiiO X3 Mk II and my Samsung EVO 128 Gig. card sometimes don't get on well.

formu_la likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.