Pro-ject phonobox DS +

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jon Ford, Apr 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Ford

Jon Ford Member Thread Starter

After months of trying buying returning I found a keeper a Pro-Ject Phonobox DS Plus. Nothing else I've listened to touches this little box under $500. I wanted to post this because I have found a total of one review on this phono preamp and nothing in forums. Am I the only guy on the planet that has one? If you're in the market try one, you won't be disappointed.

Airbus likes this.
  2. Bakesys

Bakesys Member

I have one as well - fabulous box! Sounds brilliant, looks nice with its big screen and gives me amazing, push button controls over my settings. I've not found the rumble filter to make much difference so far though... I tried it side to side with a Creek and a Graham Slee on my Gyrodec, and it had an audible edge over both of them for me - even my wife could tell the difference... :)

3. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

4. Jon Ford

I spent a couple months auditioning the following and found some sounded pretty good but most lacking bass. Cambridge - Azur, pro-ject phono box s and Moon 110lp. The only other contenders were the Pro-Ject tube box s and the Clearaudio Nano v2 which sounded fantastic and had great bass impact but I liked the ds + just as much and picked it up for less money. I have a VPI Classic turntable with a Ortofon 2m blue.

Bakesys likes this.
  5. Jon Ford

6. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident

I do have the DS + as well, it is a very good unit. However when I auditioned the RS, it sounded marginally better at twice the price.
    I am having hard times memorizing the settings every time I switched it on though.
    I always wanted the Pass Aleph Ono Phono preamp, to match my Pass Aleph electronics but it was far fetched and a very rare commodity indeed.

[​IMG]

russk likes this.
  7. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

8. Jon Ford

Are you not saving your settings on the ds +? You don't have to reset it every time you use it. A long press on the + will save your settings.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Airbus likes this.
  9. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident

Thank you,
    will do.
    Cheers

10. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Anyone care to comment more on the DS+? The unit is $299 at Crutchfield now and I am interested in this but also strongly considering the MOFI Studio Phono. On paper the DS+ would appear to have better specs but has anyone tried both of these units?

12. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Love the way my studiophono sounds has great bass IMO .. I thought it outperformed my last two stages .. Really good for the $$$

patient_ot likes this.
  13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What were the last two out of curiosity?

14. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Parasound zphono and Vincent pho 700

patient_ot likes this.
  15. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Are there any other owners of the Ds+ out there? I'm considering it but it gets remarkably few mentions.

There's also a DS (not +) model without the display. Is that the only difference?

willboy likes this.
  16. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

17. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Thanks, but I think that's a quite different Project product. (Their product range is quite extensive and confusing!)

18. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Sorry about that, I posted on the wrong thread.

19. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I had one and din't like it. Sounded unexciting to me. Traded it in, in like new condition, for a Hana EL cart. I prefer their Tube Box DS and S2, both of which I own and like.

20. seannc

seannc Active Member

Hi. I purchased the Pro-Ject Phono Box DS+ a few weeks ago after being underwhelmed by the phono stage on my Yamaha A-S701. I have no regrets buying this preamp. The improvement is remarkable. This is coming from someone who has not owned or sampled any other phono preamps though. That said, I'm completely satisfied and loving my vinyl collection.

21. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

Hi Benzion, could you advice me which tubes/valves are you using in the phono box S please? I have had stock (originall) tubes from JJ our Tesla but new production... It sounds goog but I was not excited how it sound... after some time I bought NOS of German producer valves RFT which are more more musical than stock tubes. Now one channel became little bit louder then secend so I think one tube is going to be wrong probably.

22. Benzion

For the Tube Box S I bought Genalex Gold Lion tubes.

EDIT: Wait, you were asking about Phono Box S? That if a solid state unit, I gave you an answer for Tube Box S above.

23. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

Sorry I meant of course tube box. I own Tube box S2 :pineapple: Thanks for the info. What price were Genalex Gold Lion you bought? I intended to by new production of Mullard... What do you think about it?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  24. Benzion

Here in the US, the Gold Lions cost me about $80 a pair, you might get them cheaper in Europe, as they're Russian-made. Never heard the new Mullards - but of course, they're just a name...

Try to score NOS Sylvania 7025.

25. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

Thanks Benzion for hint :) I try to search... It depend how much they are... :) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.