Anyone shop at Sister Ray in London for Vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by ServingTheMusic, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a business trip planned to London this summer..anyone shop at Sister Ray?

Quality of selection? Staff? Prices?

Sister Ray

2. ServingTheMusic

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Uk has the top 3 most visits stores.

Number 1, most wanted store to visit Amoeba Hollywood

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    hobbes4444 likes this.
  4. alexpop

Some tasty vinyl ( original ),pricey.
    Small shop, basement( more space /vinyl).

5. ServingTheMusic

thanks for the heads up!

alexpop likes this.
  6. ServingTheMusic

Amoeba is Youuuuuge!

alexpop likes this.
  7. alexpop

Amoeda?
    What's the condition of the USA titled vinyl ?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  8. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Sister Ray is great and worth a visit - all the vinyl, new and used, is in the basement. You do get some bargain priced CDs too so worth checking those out too.
    Just over the road is Reckless Records, for even more used vinyl/CDs. So don't miss that or you'll be kicking yourself!

LivingForever likes this.
  9. ServingTheMusic

They have a big selection..usually in great condition..prices are all over the place.

10. alexpop

Big Star?

11. ServingTheMusic

sure...

12. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Yes, I went there when I was in London last summer as we stayed in Soho (at The Soho (Kit Kemp design, Firmdale chain), great hotel fwiw...). Sister Ray was good. Picked up some cheap uk CDs, vinyl selection downstairs was good but nothing worth lugging home. Prices were good, not crazy. Worth a visit.

There was another store nearby, I think it was Reckless, as another mentioned. Good selection of vinyl, but condition and pricing was a bit out of sync IMHO. Some nice Sabbath titles but the usual worn G+ or VG- and IIRC asking over 50ukp. Guy was nice enough to let me check out 4-5 titles but really chuffed when I passed on them. Understandable I guess.

There are a couple of other smaller stores in that general area as well. Good neighborhood to spend an afternoon if you aren't staying there.

eddiel and alexpop like this.
  13. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Amoeba San Francisco is also a great store. Housed in an old bowling alley. Paradise for me when I lived in the city. So I'm a little biased toward that location over the Hollywood store. But for selection, Hollywood is impossible to beat.

14. alexpop

London more eateries now, £10.00 cups of coffee( soon). Record fairs are the way to go.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Albiegator likes this.
  15. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

I didn't pay that much for coffee when we stayed there, but I agree, it is a very expensive city. Record shops just not sustainable in this age in London or any city for that matter. A great music City like Boston has only a handful of stores. Very sad.

Anyway, still amazed and amused at the London pub life. Wish I was there when I was 20 years younger!

16. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Here are my recommendations. Music and Video exchange in Notting Hill and Greenwich. Sounds Original in Ealing. Alan's in East Finchley. Flashback in Crouch End and Islington. That should keep you busy.

NOT Sister Ray. (Crazy Prices)

LivingForever likes this.
  17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah on the money here description wise of the two. If I can afford it, I don't mind paying a high price for something I would like, but it has to be fair in relation to the condition of the item.

To the OP, you're likely going to visit Soho anyway so you might as well visit these two shops while in the area. But if you have no intention of visiting the Soho area I'd do a search for one of the money London Record Store threads we've had and plan your record shopping around that.

18. alexpop

M&V is not what it was like 20 years ago, upstairs collectors gone, morphed with ground floor stock. DVD shop closed 10 years ago.

19. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I traveled to London for work fairly regularly a couple of years ago.

My typical stops were Sounds of the Universe in Soho and Honest Jon's in Notting Hill. My absolute favorite was Cosmos Records on Hackney Road. I'm sure I was just scratching the surface of what's available in the city, though.

20. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Preferred their old premises across the road, to be honest. Still a great shop, prices on the high side. Just round the corner from the superb Sounds Of The Universe; my favourite record shop anywhere. Tiny, cramped, but unrivalled for soul/funk/jazz/latin. I've yet to leave there without buying something that was playing on the in-store decks.

dlemaudit likes this.
  21. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

yes , i miss their older store across the road , bigger selection in my opinion and nicer to browse through

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

New shop: Sister Ray
    I think they should move vinyl upstairs nobody's really interested in CDs anymore. I would have the counter -area at the door as your walking in/ out.
    More sales I betcha.

23. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

exactly , weird configuration
    popped there this week and found some cheap OOP cd's though ( Jonathan Richman and that Australian VU box set for 20 pounds)

24. alexpop

The original SR which was further down the road ( not across the road ) less stock but got all the releases first.
    The one across the road ( large black interior )think was called Select later morphed with Sister Ray was better as well..at least for what I was looking for,
    Record Shops per se in London, internet either killed the shop/closed or killed the stock( lack off).

25. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

yes i was referring to the large Selectadisc shop across the road ( the one on the cover of that Oasis album ) , same staff , that was great both for vinyls and cd's
    the old Sister Ray , where the market stalls were / are , was ok for new indie release indeed .
    so depressing record shopping in London now

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.