Remake The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rhett, Jun 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I actually want this to happen. To be financed and made.

Not because i think TLJ was some abomination or is even a bad movie (it's just slightly disappointing at the worst).

No, I want to see this happen to watch these entitled children who can't let this all go and have been bitching about this movie for 7 months ( and in some cases have been bitching about Star Wars since Disney took it over in 2012 and Since 1999 and the prequels) and whom claim they are the authorities on Star Wars and know what amounts to great star wars story telling to actually put their money where their mouths are .and write a script, hire a crew, hire vfx techs, hire actors, build sets and set about making a movie the scale and scope of a Star Wars film...and watch them fail miserably on all counts and likely end up with something that would make Ed Wood and Roger Corman embarrassed to have their name on.

In fact i want Disney and Lucasfilm to let them use the star wars names and characters and not challenge it. Perhaps let these " film makers" licence all of the above for a bargan one time fee...say 20 million that Disney could donate to charity. Let the whiners and complainers fall flat on their faces so publicly and loudly.

Then we all can laugh at these fools and watch them all slink back to their basements or wherever they complain from and maybe...just maybe...they get it all out of their systems, get a perspective and we won't have to hear about how TLJ ruined their lives over and over for the next decade.

And if by some miracle it's actually good...than i would gladly tip my hat to them and take back any bad thing i have ever said about the bitchalots in Star Wars fandom.

However there's as much a chance of me time traveling to the 1970s, meeting and marrying Olivia Newton-John in her prime or becoming the next president of the united States as it is for any of this to even happen...so...yeah.

So in short...this is what i think of this crazy and stupid idea....

2. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I think TLJ is a pile of excrement, but remakimg it would be a huge waste of time. Besides, they'd just eff it up again anyway.

daca, Texastoyz, agentalbert and 2 others like this.
  3. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

All this is OCD run rampant.

4. Gethan Wall

Gethan Wall Agent Provocateur

I tried to rewatch on a borrowed Blu ray. I got past the scroll and 2 mins of dialogue (if you can call it that) then turned it off. Once was enough.

Deesky likes this.
  5. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Are there any worthwhile fan edits of eps 7+8?

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

7. David Campbell

Encuentro likes this.
  8. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

From someone who liked TLJ but recognizes the holes and flaws, I'd actually welcome a remake by Disney. Treat TLJ as a discarded director cut, take a mulligan and start again. Use as much Carrie Fisher footage as possible, perhaps killing off Leah when she gets blown out into space, thus eliminating the Mary Poppins effect. Let Abrams pick up the story in accordance with his vision (as long as he doesn't remake TESB) which would segue into the final piece of the trilogy.

Wow, imagine that, a cohesive story from Episode VII through IX???

Disney didn't ruin my childhood. I'm still invested in whatever comes next and I get such a kick out of these movies that in my opinion, the more the merrier. It may be unprecedented to take such a mulligan but wouldn't it be way cool?

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I’d actually like to check them out as well. Moving the destruction of the Hosnian system in The Force Awakens to the climax actually makes perfect sense.

10. David Campbell

If it was done with the best of intentions by skilled film makers...maybe.

But a majority of these people who want to do a remake are neither. They don't have a vision. They don't have any good intentions. They are in the midst of an irrational 7 months strong temper tantrum and only want to remake the movie to make their head canon and fan theories real and to most importantly thumb their noses at Rian Johnson and Disney and anyone who even dare sorta liked this movie all out of pure venomous spite.i guarantee you the people involved have no idea what they will actually do when and if they get the funds and green light to actually make this thing.

Which again why i hope they actually hit their goals and get the green light from Lucasfilm to do this without a legal challenge. Let's see these overgrown children actually have to make a big budget Star Wars movie. The overwhelming panic and dread of " oh sh!t...we actually have to make good on our claims of superiority !" will be priceless to witness. Pure comedic gold. It would be like the modern version of " The Producers" with nerds.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Ginger Ale, Maggie, FVDnz and 4 others like this.
  11. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I'm sure the campaign is simply a way of making sure that Disney hears that fans didn't like The Last Jedi. Which Disney already knows based on the home video sales.

And for heck's sake, Rian Johnson isn't going to be involved in the last film in the Rey trilogy, so people can just chill. JJ Abrams will undo as much of the damage that Rian Johnson did, and it will probably be fine.

We faced the same situation when the X-Men films were momentarily ruined by the hack director Brett Ratner - and then Bryan Singer course-corrected and they're mostly fine now.

12. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

^^^ That's the problem, the story arch is already so messed up that Abrams has to pick up the pieces instead of telling his story. This is why I said Disney should take the mulligan, not some hacks.

Rian Johnson is certainly talented. But he should also be able to acknowledge that his piece of the story just didn't cut the mustard. His reward is a trilogy of his own.

13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I’d pay to watch a documentary or reality show covering the attempt to get this remake produced. It might good for a few laughs.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

15. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

I'm sure it'll happen. They re-made 'Star Wars' as 'The Force Awakens' so why not.

Three whole films, about seven hours worth of more Johnson. No thanks. If he'd have stopped after 'Brick' maybe, but that was obviously a fluke.

16. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Probably the wrong thread to post this :), but -- I thought TLJ was entertaining as all heck. I understand people are super geeky (and I mean that lovingly) and protective about this franchise. But that stance makes it likely that each new film only carves out or reinterprets some personal detail, rather than adding to it. Meaning the likelihood of success is too narrow. I think they've taken the approach of just having fun with it all.

I'm okay with that. I though TLJ was an action-packed, non-stop swashbuckling blast of Space excitement. I left the theater thinking it was the best one yet. I just enjoyed the ride. Yes, I came into it with a desire to learn who Rey was and who Snoke was -- but they don't want to tell us. I accept that. I got to see Luke Skywalker and Yoda.

17. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Why is it only the ones who are critical who are super-geeky, and not the ones following every step as if this is actually canonical? I myself have never dressed up as a Jedi and attended a midnight premiere.
    I think the whole "remake The Last Jedi" is just a ploy to try to make it look like it's the super-critical fans and not Disney making mediocre films. C'mon, they can't even pull off a Han Solo standalone film? Time to pack it up, boys. George Lucas is having the last laugh.

18. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

This whole idea is the reason the phrase "Get a life" exists. Also the eye-roll emoji. :rolleyes:

19. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I saw The Last Jedi (TLJ) on Blu-Ray and my reaction was "meh" after seeing it. No real enthusiasm, just a ho-hum feeling, and the feeling that it should have been much better. Since seeing some of the YouTube videos about the problems with the movie (things I didn't really notice when I watched them) my feeling towards the movie has dropped.

My problem with The Prequel Trilogy is that it should have been much better than it was. Episode I was okay but that's about it. Episode II was such a disappointment for me that it took me years to finally buy get around it and I only did it because I wanted to have the complete set in my collection. Episode III was much better than the previous movie but that wasn't too hard to do.

When it comes to remaking TLJ, I'd rather they get the creative team that did The Clone Wars CGI series to do it. To me, The Clone Wars was better than any of the Prequel movies and I think they would do a vastly better TLJ.

aficionaudio and FVDnz like this.
  20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I think I'm almost done caring about Star Wars. I passed on seeing the prequels in the theater, nor do I own them. At least the most recent core movies have been good enough to get me out of the house. Enough to be pissy about this or that minutia? Nah.

Nothing kills the original trilogy* or the joy they gave me, and that's enough.

*Not even Lucas.

aficionaudio likes this.
  21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It's actually worse.

But remake it? No.

22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Ironic considering your first post. ;)

23. I don’t understand the hatred for TLJ. If you really hate it that much, don’t watch it again! What is the problem these folks have with th film? It boggles the mind there are much more pressing issues in the real world than the reel world.

Can someone please explain to me why there was so much hatred?

I seriously can’t see how this film has worse issues compared to the prequels.

Not in my universe.

24. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I wonder if any of the people who are begging for a remake of TLJ are the same people hoping for a Blu Ray release of the original triology as seen in theaters, without alterations.

25. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

The "Prequels" had the great benefit of reopening the story after 16 years. And filling us in on all these back stories that were like legends from my childhood. To be able to see these myths fleshed out on the screen was surreal.

And, speaking of surreal, the Prequels looked quite surreal as well. A fault as much as a benefit. I always loved how busted-up everything looked in the original Star Wars movie. Broken, rusty droids. Flying space-junk with a missing hubcap. It seemed far more believable and intriguing than the typical sterile space fare. The Prequels looked out of character being so clean and polished.

The role of Anakin wasn't particularly interesting or convincing as a troubled teen and as a Casanova of Princesses in Episode II. A life-sized role that needed a young Marlon Brando or perhaps rethought. As a result, Anakin's big moments drag. But the rest of the movie is really good.

If one must redo a Star Wars movie, I'd be okay with starting there. We get a new Spiderman series every 6 months, so why not. Just Photoshop Christopher Lee in as Count Dooku. I savor every second he's on screen.

enro99 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.