The Warriors (1979)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vinyl Socks, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

2. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver Thread Starter

Received my DVD copy of "The Warriors" today. I'm thrilled to have the original...I don't care about the lack of high-res--it's gotta be better than VHS.

3. Vinyl Socks

4. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Yes they used to show it quite a bit on USA network's show Night Flight in the 80s.

I still have my vhs tape of it. I also used to watch it once a year for many years, but I think it has been 6 or 7, so I'm overdue!

There are tons of great lines and scenes of course. One that always 'scared' me as much as the Warriors themselves is when the Turnbull ACs turned around and they had that moment of oh crap do we make a break for it?!

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm keeping my DVD!

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  6. Michael

he plays the perfect creep! love him.; )

Culpa and Vinyl Socks like this.
  7. Michael

they really need to put out a proper BD of this!

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  8. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Love the bottle clank song and the red lips call to a safe trip home...on a beach. Love that movie.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  9. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Ross Geller!

I saw this film some night in the nineties, and was throughly captivated, but had no idea what I'd been watching.
    Several years later I went on the IMDB forums, to ask what it was.
    Next time I saw it was the dreaded Director's Cut.

This thread has inspired me to order the older DVD on Amazon. I'd have preferred a Blu Ray, but don't expect that getting a release.

Can't wait to see it again!

wolfram and Vinyl Socks like this.
  10. Vinyl Socks

Seems to be plenty of copies of the DVD available on Amazon. Mine cost $2.00...and it's mint.
    Get them quick! This thread might wipe them out!! :eek:

MartyTem likes this.
  11. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

It's back on Netflix, original cut. Will re-watch today.

Kirk76, EVOLVIST and Vinyl Socks like this.
  12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, that is a good sign.

Maybe this is a movie Paramount can work their 4K magic on (he says knowing full well what some people thought of Grease).

Kirk76 and Vinyl Socks like this.
  13. Vinyl Socks

Imagine if they'd combined Grease with The Warriors back in the late 70s...Danny Zuko could have wowed Mercy and gotten caught by Sandy and then all of the characters could have sang a rousing closing number as Luther is savagely killed by the Greasers.

mBen989 likes this.
  14. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I finally watched this a few weeks ago. Instant classic. And the ending is what inspired my thread about songs that were elevated because of their appearance in movies.

Dudley Morris and wolfram like this.
  15. I'm still waiting for an original theatrical release on BD or even better UHD BD but something tells me I'll have to wait for a long time unless Paramount or Walter Hill have planned something for the 40th Anniversary next year. I got the remastered (from Universal, not the La La Land release) last week on a sale, factory sealed, for 5 €.

16. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

Ok, pardon me while I ask an ignorant OT question...

How realistic would it be in 70’s NYC for there to be a multi-ethnic gang like the Warriors? I guess I’m under the impression that gangs generally form primarily over race, ethnicity, cultural, etc ties (also common turf, which the Warriors had). And what about the Baseball Furies! Any comparison to real-life gangs then?

Yup, I had a mostly mono-cultural, middle-class upbringing.

Grand_Ennui and Dudley Morris like this.
  17. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Randomly enough this is a movie me and my friends all got into when we were 12 back in 2005. Though a lot of ths stemmed from the fact that there was a pretty good video game based off of the movie released at the time.

18. Also incorporated to much creepier effect into "Eddie's Out" by Cabaret Voltaire.

vince likes this.
  19. Vinyl Socks

In Norway perhaps, but, sadly...not on the U.S. Netflix.
    Bummer.

20. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

Yes, that's the trouble with Netflix.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  21. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

From what I have observed over the decades, very unrealistic. But the entire movie is more or less unrealistic. Signing on to Cyrus' plan would have bumped their status up to that of certain groups running around Lebanon or Mexico. If the NYPD did not crush that, the National Guard would have.

Gangs generally form due to the criteria you listed. In the book, the Warriors are not multi-racial. I think that tweak was to make the movie more palatable to the public. It also provided yet another surreal aspect. All of them are actually quite likable for the most part. The Sweathogs with a serious edge and an ingrained sense of fatalism.

As for the Baseball Furies, no way in hell. Assuming gangs commit crimes and want to evade the local constabulary, ditching make-up to blend in is much more difficult than ditching cuts or colors.

As far as outfits, those worn by the Warriors were actually realistic as they resemble the Savage Skulls, a Bronx gang from that era. And they were probably taking their cue from the Hell's Angels and other bikers.

22. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

I spoke to Walter Hill a few weeks ago about the film. He says the DC isn't a DC, just a special edition cut presenting the film as originaly intended on paper.

He would be happy to be involved in a new release with the original cut or both cuts, but no news from Paramount yet.

Vinyl Socks, Mylene, Kiko1974 and 4 others like this.
  23. I don't think much involvement from Walter Hill is needed. The HD copy I can watch on Amazon Prime Video in Spain despite being streaming (150 mgbits/sec fiber optic line) looks really good with its grain intact and a good 5.1 mix, and it's the original theatrical version. Take that HD untampered master, add the original Dolby Stereo mix with the new 5.1 remix, do a good compressions for a dual layer 50 Gig. disc which is a piece of cake these days, create some nice looking menus and it's set to go without calling Walter Hill. Who owns the movie, Paramount or Walter Hill?

24. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Good movie. Just saw an American Dad episode where Steve and his friends are trying to get out of the school building and it had s little top of the hat to The Warriors. The school principal played the DJ part

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I was not aware that Andy Gibb was in a gang.

:D

Grand_Ennui and Vinyl Socks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.