New Janelle Monáe album 'Dirty Computer' (Release date April 27)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

pghmusiclover and The Revealer like this.
  2. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Nope, it is a hair over 45 mins. Maybe the 46 minute narrative film project they reference in the description is pressed to vinyl?

The third studio album from Janelle Monáe, Dirty Computer is available exclusively at UO in 1500 limited units of neon pink double LP vinyl. Accompanied by a 46-minute narrative film project, this album is a tribute to women and the spectrum of sexual identities. The 14 tracks deal with reckoning, celebration and reclamation, observing how Monáe is viewed by society, her acceptance of her reality and her own reclamation and redefinition of her own American identity to be her own authentic self. This album features contributions from Prince throughout with guest appearances from The Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson, Zoë Kravitz, Grimes and Pharrell Williams. With the singles “Make Me Feel”, “Django Jane” and “PYNK”. 2018, Wondaland / Bad Boy / Atlantic.

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Don't you mean pynk?

;)

GentleSenator and Yost like this.
  4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I really hope there is a regular version. Past UO exclusive with low 1,500 edition are a total headache to secure and gone 2 minutes after the store opens. Plus it'll be $50 sticker price and the past Janelle vinyl is only a minor upgrade sonically.

Maybe the 4th side of the vinyl will have an etching of her Pynk pants seen in the music video.

5. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

saw her in portland the other night. was a great vibe at the show and a great crowd. such a breath of fresh air in today's world.

i'm still not sold on the new songs though. they're just weak compared to her previous 2.5 releases. sorry guys :(

Derek Slazenger and ScramMan2 like this.
  6. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Just worked the Dirty Computer tour in Portland. Really enjoyed it. Got the CD. Love it!

OldSoul likes this.
  7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Janelle Monáe's web site has been updated with a link for a pre-order of a 2-disc "transparent sun yellow colored vinyl LP" edition with a lenticular motion cover which is expected to ship on September 28. (The Urban Outfitters pink vinyl edition is now indicating September 28 on their pre-order page as well.)
    [​IMG]

8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

pre-ordered this one! if it's anything like her last one folks probably shouldn't wait to order a copy.

9. Yost

When will my credit card be charged if I order a copy?

Edit: never mind, I read the store FAQ. Credit cards are charged when shipping.

Edit again: they’re not accepting my credit card and require me to pay with PayPal. Charging me immediately. :realmad:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  10. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Still enjoying this album very much, although I was getting a little burned out on it & did have to take a break for about a week or so. It is back in the rotation now - listened to the whole thing in the car yesterday and picked up on nuances I hadn't noticed before. It really is a richly textured and well produced & recorded album, and the more I hear it the more I think it's perfectly sequenced and crafted as a whole. As far as I'm concerned, this is as close as one gets to a "perfect" pop album these days. Strangely, the two songs I didn't enjoy as much when I first heard them (Make Me Feel & Americans) - because I thought they were too derivative - have taken on a life of their own on repeated listenings and are 2 of my favorites now.

On a technical level - when I A/B'd the MP3s of the Clean Version that I downloaded from Ticketmaster, I was horrified at how bad the MP3s sounded compared to the CD. I had mentioned the differences in DR numbers earlier in the thread, but when I listened closely and also compared the waveforms there was a huge drop in quality - they really screwed up the encoding somehow. I had a feeling it was more than just differences between Standard/Clean version edits, so I found a cheap copy of the "Clean" CD and extracted. That's when I confirmed the horrible quality of the MP3s (there was clipping all over the place, jacked up levels, and a serious loss of low level detail in the MP3s). The numbers and waveforms of Dirty vs. Clean match up almost perfectly - definitely NOT a different master.

Bottom line: if you are relying on those MP3s for your listening experience of this album - DON'T! Get yourself a proper CD. The MP3s (at least the Ticketmaster ones) are terrible.

gabbleratchet7 and Yost like this.
  11. Yost

Thanks for the info. Good to know!

12. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Are we going to get some concert reactions in this thread?

Looking forward to Thursday here in Chicago.

13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

We're seeing her in a couple weeks here, i'll definitely report back. Her show 5 years ago was one of the best gigs I ever saw.

14. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

From the videos I've seen, it looks like her stage production has been amped up big time. Seeing her in a few weeks and greatly looking forward to it!

15. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

I saw Janelle in Denver last night. Amazing show with full blown stage production, as you would expect from her.
    Multiple costume changes, video projection, backup dancers, full band etc.
    She is one talented woman!

Most of the songs from the new LP were played and with a handful from the previous albums.
    If you get a chance, go check her out!

jimhb likes this.
  16. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Has she been playing mostly theater sized venues? Going to the Detroit show on 7/9 and out of curiosity looked at the ticket map - looks woefully undersold....

17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That's surprising. It seemed like there was a lot of hype around this album when it came out, and the reaction seems to be mostly positive. (Even if some don't rank it as highly as previous LP's)

18. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

SF's show was sold out long before it happened. Is Detroit not a theater?

19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip!

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You ain't kidding! I can pull up 2nd row seats for face! :eek:

On the other hand, the DC show at the fairly large Anthem is sold out!

21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Yes and no. The Fox Theater is a restored old movie house, but it is a gigantic one that seats around 5,100. I think that's about 1700 more than The Masonic in SF. The Fox is pretty savvy if a show is undersold. They will actually upgrade tickets on the spot (e.g. from balcony to main floor) when you show up rather than have a spotty and spread out crowd.

Dreaddazzman and OldSoul like this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's still shocking that I can buy 2nd row center seats for face value on TM right now, though. That's nuts!

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  23. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

Maybe it's something about Detroit. Maybe in conjunction with her new musical direction, which is unusually frank about unusual sexuality, not what I associate with a Midwestern city. Plus, some of Janelle's original fan base probably has qualms about her disclosures. But it fits an agenda in some parts of the media, and it has major-label support. Hence, hype. To me, most of the songs aren't catchy. "I Like That" should've been released sooner, because it's catchy and memorable and could have given the album momentum. I think Electric Lady was more chart-friendly, and even it didn't have hits. Hype can sell albums, but I don't think it can turn a fringe artist into a big-ticket seller. Plenty of people know about Janelle Monáe now, but not enough of them love her or her music.

24. Yost

We don't need her to be a major hype. Just interesting enough for a major label to keep supporting her. So she is able to continue making interesting music. :righton:

The Revealer likes this.
  25. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

I don't know if Janelle Monáe needs the money that comes from being a top-tier touring artist and Bad Boy Records is backed by a filthy rich man, but I think both of them want her to be a household name, hence the album marketing and tour strategy. It's now or never for her - she isn't young.