Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I will counsel you. Send me 20 CDs or LPs per week and I will send advice. Some of this advice may pertain to the next package of music to be shipped to me.

Rick Bartlett and baptistbusman like this.
  2. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Tribute likes this.
  3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  4. Svein Arne

Must be great for those who has not heard the master before the tribute album.
    But here is a great one by K D Lang not included in the tribute album and i think it is great:

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  5. Svein Arne

Otis Blackwell songwriter for Elvis and other stars:

Rick Bartlett and melstapler like this.
  6. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very interesting. They were discussing this new tribute on SiriusXM radio and your link provides us with the full tracklist and artists appearing. The live version of 'It Only Hurts When I Cry' is a selling point for me, as Dwight Yoakam co-wrote the song with Roger Miller and the two were friends until Roger's premature death.

8. melstapler

Definitely. During the 1980s, The Smithereens served as Otis Blackwell's backing band. Of course, Otis had several pick-up bands, but The Smithereens offered very energetic interpretations which made him relevant during the 1980's oldies revival. Otis recorded his his own material a few times, one of my favorite sessions are the ones he completed during the 1970s.

[​IMG]
    The Smithereens

9. Svein Arne

I want Otis Blackwells recording in a CD box:wantsome:

melstapler likes this.
  10. Svein Arne

11. melstapler

Definitely. It would need to include the demos Otis recorded in addition to his complete studio sessions. As far as I'm aware, his 1980s studio sessions have never been released on CD. The Smithereens 21CD Mega Box set did include at least one live show of them with Otis and I believe that recording was the source they used for the track 'Don't Be Cruel' on the 1995 1CD comp entitled "Attack Of The Rarities."

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  12. melstapler

RSteven likes this.
  13. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got another Rocks disc, this time by The Cadillacs. Even among just their upbeat material, there's more variety than your average doo-wop group. I only wasn't keen on their attempts at Coasters-style novelty numbers which rarely work without Lieber & Stoller's witty lyrics.

Really dug this track in particular, it's like a mix of rock 'n' roll and burgeoning soul.

Or at least all his recordings from before and during his association with Elvis. There are CDs of his 50's and 60's singles, but they're rare and incomplete. Bear Family once put out a CD of Don Robertson's demos for Elvis, so how about one for Blackwell's demos?

Otis Blackwell - One Broken Heart For Sale.wmv

Svein Arne and melstapler like this.
  14. GodBlessTinyTim

Svein Arne, The Killer and melstapler like this.
  15. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Hank Williams never made his 30th birthday, so as far as I am concerned, the number 30 is banished

melstapler likes this.
  17. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

According to the Korean way of counting birthdays, he did. They may be on to something.

Speaking of Hank I finally got the 40 hits comp mastered by Jensen. Pretty nice. Thinking of springing for the radio comp later in the year.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I agree, he was in his 30th year. If we did that, all those age-based rules could free kids up a year earlier.

melstapler likes this.
  19. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

All you accountants will be pleased to know that I'm currently working to fill another gap with BCD 16036. ;-)

20. Svein Arne

Who is on this release?:cheers::cheers:

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  21. Svein Arne

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  22. GodBlessTinyTim

I thought that might be the case, funny they'd announce 31 before 30 though.

The whole By the Bayou series looks great, but it's so extensive that I'm afraid to take the plunge. Think they're up to 20 volumes.

23. Svein Arne

I started buying when they started releasing them.Easier that way.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  24. GodBlessTinyTim

Rock 'n' Roll Romance - Rockin' Rosalie (7inch, 45RPM, BC, PS) | Bear Family Records

Here's an interesting one, a vinyl reissue of a one-sided cardboard record by Lennie "The Big Rocker" LaCour sold with cases of Orange Crush in 1956. As far as cardboard records go, this blows The Archies out of the water.

The B-side is one of his subsequent efforts, less wild but still solid.

Lennie LaCour - Rockin' Rosalie

Turns out Lennie LaCour has quite an eclectic body of work spanning over 40 years. Check out this compilation accurately subtitled "Outsider Rock 'n' Roll etc..." which includes a frantic rocker ("Rock 'n' Roll Romance"), swamp pop ("Have I Stayed Away Too Long"), moody traditional pop ("Lonely Street"), an agonizingly bad song-poem ("Ol' Blue Eyes"), what can best be described as a faux Fats Domino's response to "My Sweet Lord" ("Maharishi"), and more. Sadly it doesn't include his rare 1952 debut single which has been described as a blues tune promisingly titled "Alligator Man".

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Rick Bartlett and Svein Arne like this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident