Anybody tried the Bluesound music server ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

Thanks very much! This is pretty much what I expected, but I wasn't sure.

Tim 2 likes this.
  2. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

I have both a Node 2 and a Chromecast Audio and for your needs/wants I doubt you'd hear much of an improvement with the Node 2. Bluesound developed their line of products with much more in mind than how you would use it and is most definitely worth the asking price, especially when used as intended.

Tim 2 and Doug Walton like this.
  3. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

As mentioned above, Roon is available in Canada for the same $149.00/year.

Pricing:
    Roon is free for 14 days – just sign up for a free trial below.
    Memberships can be purchased annually or for life.

Tim 2 likes this.
  4. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

I had a chromecast before i got my node and yes...the sound bump is pretty noticeable....much more detail and depth

Tim 2 likes this.
  5. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

I would agree if using both with their on board DACs, not so much if using with a DAC like the OP's Schiit Gungnir.

Tim 2 and Doug Walton like this.
  6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Had not heard about a yearly fee or free trial for Roon, will look into that.

Yes quoting full list as thats what my dealer has sent me, will be asking about a discount before I pull the trigger.

"Why the Luxul" The installer came out last week, checked out my Yi-Fi strength in the garage, moved the router a couple times, only got a fair signal and said there would be problems with drop-outs. I can't verify this but I figured for a few hundred dollars more why not, and I have been purchasing audio gear from these fine folks since 1993. Feel the same way about the install fee. They are going to set everything up, calibrate it, program my current in house computer and new I-pad for the shed for a reasonable fee. I'd be playing around ( pulling my hair out ) with this for weeks. I'm to the stage and age in life where I just want to listen to music without fatigue and stress.

My phone is an old flip, it's not very smart. I like the big display on the I-pads:magoo: plus it will stay in the shed at all times and not ring during music playback.

Not sure about cords,cables, yes I have box's full of very good quality stuff, which I will trot out at the time of install.

:eek:

forthlin and MaxxMaxx4 like this.
  7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've compared different digital streamers, and there are absolutely differences in quality. The CCA is fantastic for what it does, but it's about $10 worth of parts in an enclosure the size of a silver dollar. It's casting methodology also makes it a lot less convenient then some other solutions.

Now, the Node 2 is kind of pricey and there might be something in between it and the CCA that would work just as well if Tidal is your only source.

Tim 2 likes this.
  8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I think it sounds much better than Sonos, it's main competitor.

MaxxMaxx4 and Tim 2 like this.
  9. Doug Walton

Sound quality or just build quality? This is what I referred to in my OP - the assertion that inexpensive equals compromised digital data transfer via optical to a DAC.

10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Sound quality.

Tim 2 likes this.
  11. Doug Walton

I’d want to see some specifics on that assertion. Got any? Is the CCA just dropping bits?

12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Doug, you don't have to buy anything that you don't want to.

13. Doug Walton

That’s a really weird reaponse. Thanks for your permission, though.

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

You said you were curious if anybody had experience surpassing the CCA. I said yes, and you demanded proof. That was a really weird response IMO.

TarnishedEars, toddfan and Tim 2 like this.
  15. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I ran a Sonos Connect and a Bluesound Node2 side by side for months (Ethernet connected), both outputting to the same external DAC. There’s no difference when dealing with streaming services, Internet radio and network files up to 24/96 except for the control apps, and I personally liked the Sonos app better.

When comparing the internal DACs, the Node2 wins, although both internal DACs are passably decent, IMO.

Sonos also offers its Boost device that helps create a dedicated wireless subnet. Yet another reason why Sonos continues to hold the biggest market share - excellent in-home wireless performance. Absolutely stable and glitch-free as long as care is paid during set up.

ALAN SICHERMAN likes this.
  16. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

Fair enough. I was approaching the installation as part of the hobby. Something I really enjoy. But I see your point.

I would definitely ask for some sort of a discount, especially since you’ve been dealing with them for a long time.

Enjoy the music, that’s the important part.

mdr

Tim 2 likes this.
  17. Tim 2

I've listen to both, the Sonos is not even close. A friend that works at a local dealer that sells Sonos admitted it's not high quality audio and not what I'm looking for.

LeeS and MaxxMaxx4 like this.
  18. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident

Perceptive way of looking at things tim. Let me know how it works out as I want to do something similar.

Tim 2 likes this.
  19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm trying real hard to move my brother to go Blusound. His Sonos speakers are terrible.

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm speaking more to the speaker quality and there BluSound has a clear advantage. In either system, most are buying the associated speakers.

21. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Speaker quality - true. But that’s not what this part of the thread is about.

Tim 2 and wgallupe like this.
  22. Tim 2

Thanks for bringing that forward Howard. :tiphat:
    But, side tracking threads is ok by me, been here a piece. :agree:
    Anything audio please. :pineapple:

Agitater likes this.
  23. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

My recommendation. Scrap the vault. Buy a good dedicated desktop PC to rip, store and serve the music to a couple of nodes. I think you will find it much better for creating and managing music files.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  24. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

yeah...i've been demoing the chord qutest of a friend and thats a way better than the dac in bluesound

LeeS likes this.
  25. Tim 2

My desktop computer and I think most computers won'y store HD. The Ro0n system with and I-pad seem to be a very simple way of managing/down loading files.

I'll find out Wednesday.

LeeS and MaxxMaxx4 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.