2001 coming back in 70mm, unrestored

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HiFi Guy 008, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident Thread Starter

For the NYC area, which has the biggest screen?

CITY CINEMAS VILLAGE EAST CINEMA

181-189 SECOND AVENUE, NEW YORK, NY

MUSEUM OF THE MOVING IMAGE
    36-01 35TH AVE, QUEENS, NEW YORK

2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I think this clip was shared on Forum earlier, but if not pretty cool props!

enro99 likes this.
  3. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

All set. Going to see it on 7/5 at the AFI. The film will be followed by a Q&A with Dave Bowman himself, Keir Dullea.

What should I ask him?

Old Rusty, Walt, IronWaffle and 2 others like this.
  4. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Dude, that is awesome! I can't think of anything to ask off the top of my head, but what a treat that will be.

Jack Lord likes this.
  5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Ask him what he thought of the phrase, "Keir Dullea, gone tomorrow..."

OK that's mean, don't ask him that.

I'd ask him how much of the script he saw while the film was in production, if he had any idea of the scope of the whole thing, or if he thought the HAL sequence was the bulk of the film. When I saw the film in 70mm for the first time in '99 I took the HAL sequence to be something of a black comedy, along the lines of Dr. Strangelove, with these two somewhat hapless military figure astronauts facing off against an even more calm, level headed artificially intelligent psychopath. I'd be curious to know if he picked up on the same sort of darkly humorous tone going in.

IronWaffle likes this.
  6. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Ask him if he ever played chess with Kubrick.

7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I will be going on Sat July 7th. I remember when the Silver theater was boarded up. Its amazing that AFI came in and restored the whole thing....a beautiful theater

IronWaffle and Jack Lord like this.
  8. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I've seen many 70mm films there over the past 15+ years, and the presentation is always excellent. The Swedish print of Ryan's Daughter was a highlight, and the 6-track sound was superb. The last print of 2001 I saw there was close to 10 years ago, and it was in very rough shape, but I remember the color was still very good. I'll be there on the 6th.

harmonica98 and IronWaffle like this.
  9. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

You should get on a plane and come with me. First beer is on me.

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

If DC weren't so far - and I wasn't so far behind on my paperwork and other chores prior to an upcoming overseas trip - I'd take you up on that.

He and Gary Lockwood were at the Academy screening I attended in Beverly Hills a decade ago, hosted by Tom Hanks and featuring Buzz Aldrin. That was an event. I think I mentioned up above we sat not far behind Angie Dickinson, which would mean little to most I suppose but that crowd was of the right age to be wowed.

harmonica98 and Jack Lord like this.
  11. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Ask him what the astronaut food tasted like. Looked pretty, pretty bad.

MRamble and Cokelike- like this.
  12. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Ask him this: "David, David, look at me. Who do you see? Who do you see?"
    And his answer should be: "I see a girl who looks like a pearl. I see a pearl of a girl."
    Fans of Keir Dullea should recognize these lines. :D

HGN2001 likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’d ask him what Stanley Kubrick’s favorite lunch was.

MRamble likes this.
  14. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Can't understand why our theaters in Houston aren't playing this classic!

15. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

It Played at the Regal Greenway Grand starting on the 15th of June (probably for only one week). It looks like a bit of a haul, but it's scheduled to play at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin sometime in July.

16. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Yes, needs to play in Houston. Thanks!

17. Mugrug12

What's it from?

18. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

The 1962 film David and Lisa. We watched it in a high school class.
    Very unique and interesting film about two people with mental illness.

HiFi Guy 008, HGN2001 and Mugrug12 like this.
  19. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

It's gone midnight and I'm just back from seeing 2001 70mm at FACT, Liverpool.

Wow. Just breathtaking.

I've seen 2001 at the cinema twice. Once in the year 2001, when a beat up 35mm print did the round and again a couple of years ago when it was digitally projected (probably 1080/2K, quite possibly from the BuRay.

Tonight was on a different level entirely. From The Dawn of Man, where the colours were so rich (those landscapes & sunsets!) and the contrast so vivid (the nighttime scenes of the 'apes' sheltering, the black of the monolith), I was floored from the get go. The skies flickered a bit but then this is the first time I've seen projected film as opposed to projected digital video in years. The detail of the landscapes, rocks etc was astonishing. Carrying on to the docking sequence and space was BLACK, the WHITE of the shuttle and pinpricks of the stars - exterior surfaces of the ship in sunlight were brilliant white, whilst those in shade were properly black.. The whites of the interior walls and floor of the orbital station, even down to being able to pick out the detail of the weave of the suit Heywood Floyd wears. Onwards to the moon and again, the detail that could be made out of model work, especially the interior of the landing pad/bay.

Even the muted reds of the interior of the pod Bowman and Poole retire to to have their conversation impressed. All just beautiful. By the time the 'apartment' rolls around at the end of the film, I'm still picking out fine detail of the bathroom, the tilework etc.

I've never seen a film shown in 70mm before so I've no idea how the current print stacks up against prior versions of 2001 or other 70mm presentations. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but so glad to have had all expectations surpassed. To this untutored eye, this is one of the absolute best viewings I've seen of any film in my life.

And when the film cuts to exterior shots of ships, EVAs etc in space and the soundtrack goes dead silent, I could hear the faint but audible flicker of the projector above and behind me. It was almost magical.

I've held off on going 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision at home; if the 4K home video release of 2001 can even approximate tonights screening at home, I'm all in for a source/receiver/TV upgrade. It really was that good, that remarkable.

Assuming it's being shown in a cinema that cares about presentation, if anyone is at all on the fence about seeing 2001 in 70mm, GO! Sell female elderly relatives on eBay to raise the funds if you have to.

Clarke & Kubrick set out to make the 'proverbial good science fiction movie'. It still is (IMHO only Blade Runner is worthy of being mentioned in the same breath). I simply had no idea it could possibly have looked as good as tonights viewing was.

EDIT: just read back through the thread: the sound tonight was equally fantastic. Not cranked up to silly levels, although the moon monolith signal was piercing (intentionally so methinks). There were also the odd 'dancing specks' and other analogue film artefacts from time to time. Not sure if there were damage to the print I saw or were already a part of the source the print I saw was struck from. Either way, it didn't bother me one iota. What I wouldn't give to see Eyes Wide Shut with such presentation...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  20. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

As @DaveySR pointed out, it DID play in Houston, at the Edwards (Regal) Greenway Grand Palace on Weslayan. That's where I saw it. It was only here for a week (June 15-21), and there was very little local publicity about it - I'd have likely missed it if I hadn't seen a tweet from the Houston Press linking to a post on their website about it.

The Greenway Grand Palace is the only theater in Houston that appears to have 70mm projection equipment permanently installed, in auditorium #12 - they previously screened 70mm prints of THE HATEFUL EIGHT and DUNKIRK, and all of the 70mm screenings I've seen there have looked really nice. One of the AMC multiplexes (Gulf Pointe, I think) also screened DUNKIRK in 70, but I'm pretty sure that was a temporary installation, and I didn't feel compelled to investigate further as the Greenway Grand Palace is much more convenient for me and has a proven track record of quality when it comes to large-format screenings.

joelee likes this.
  21. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Thanks!
    Darn Fandango

Been looking it up every week since May online.

22. I didn't know Tarantino didn't have much respect for Kubrick. One more reason to dislike more my most hated cinema director of all times. I find Tarantino, among other things, an overrated director who has been very very lucky as he made movies that matched perfectly with the tastes and aesthetics of the 90's, but that didn't make those film good films. I find Pulp Fiction a boring, badly script and badly directly movie,it was well shot 'though, with tons of plenty gratuituous and meaningless vilence, unlike A Clockwork Orange.
    For me Kubrick was a cultivated and lectured person very interested on culture in general and this is reflected by how varied his films were. I think, by reading two or three of his biographies a very curious person always eager to know and learn. Unlike Tarantino, who I've always seen as an uncultivated and ignorant guy who just was lucky, I don't think he's a much clever person and in addition to that, the 90's are long gone so his prime days are also long gone.
    My God I just think about it and can only laugh, Tarantino criticizing the work of Master Kubrick, if I had the chance to attend this in person I'd get worless with Tarantino, I couldn't stop laughing at how stupid the words that would get out of his mouth and the meaning of them, honest, I couldn't tell anything to Tarantino, just laugh.

23. Mugrug12

I hear you on him, but wasn't inglorious basterdz so good though?!

DaveySR likes this.
  24. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

I luxuriated in just about every scene in that movie.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  25. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

Tickets are sold out for AFI Silver's July 5 showing (I was there earlier today to see THE RED CIRCLE and inquired). I plan to see it on Sunday, July 8. AFI is only about 2-3 miles from me and it's my favorite place (they accept MoviePass!).

IronWaffle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.