James Franco's "The Disaster Artist" (based on the making of the infamously bad "The Room"): 12/1/17

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Oh yeah. 'Phantom Thread'. I guess it was screened for a limited time to qualify just before the deadline.

Doesn't Day-Lewis win an Oscar for every film he's in. :)

alexpop likes this.
  2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Corrected.

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

He's not getting the Oscar. Oldman looks to be the favorite now.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Gary deserves it, his Churchill has to be the definitive version now( and there's been many).

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

He Looked like Churchill. Almost too much. He looked half Yoda under all the rubber! Trouble with the film for me was it paralleled The Crown so often that I started comparing “Winstons” and while Oldman seemed like a chubby Santa Claus, Lithgow seemed like a tough grumpy old man, which naturally felt more “real” to me. But not a Churchill scholar, maybe he was more Santa.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Voting for the actual winners hasn't happened yet - just voting for nominees.

It's possible Franco's negative publicity will keep him off the nominee list - we'll find out tomorrow - but I suspect he'll still get nominated.

Even without the bad publicity, I don't think he would've won - just not an "Oscar-type performance", methinks. I'd put money on Oldman winning...

7. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Yeah, he was snubbed.

Lead Actor Nominees:

Timothée Chalamet, “Call Me by Your Name”
    Daniel Day-Lewis, “Phantom Thread”
    Daniel Kaluuya, “Get Out”
    Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”
    Denzel Washington, “Roman J. Israel, Esq.”

And what percentage of voters do you think have actually seen "Call Me By Your Name"?

Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. Probably more than have seen Roman J. Israel, Esq. I don't recall having heard of it before it got the nomination.

johnnyyen likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

I doubt that - "Roman" didn't do much at the box office, but it got a fairly wide release. Maybe it didn't make it to Canada? :shrug"

10. Oatsdad

The Academy largely ignored "Disaster Artist" overall, with just a nom for "Adapted Screenplay".

I won't call this a tragedy - I think "DA" is entertaining but insubstantial, so I didn't really understand the push for awards in the first place...

11. Apparently it did, although if it played around here it must've been at some Cineplex in the sticks for about a week. Certainly there's not been much buzz around it, unlike Call Me...

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Denzel Washington, “Roman J. Israel, Esq.”

Where'd that come from?

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What's gonna happen to "Multiple Man", James?

14. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

It played here, but like everywhere else just not for very long.

The Wikipedia entries for both films have 'Roman J. Isreal, Esq.' grossing $11 million (IMDB $11.9 million - gross USA), 'Call Me By Your Name', $12.6 million (IMDB $ 9.1 million - gross USA). So, probably a few more people did see 'Call Me ...' than 'Roman J. Israel ...'.

15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I agree, hardly a tragedy. My impression is that Hollywood, especially around the awards season, really likes meta-films. As well, with 'DA' there's kind of a faux self deprecating attitude on the part of the film industry. Other than that theory, I don't really understand the push for awards for it, either. But since it's seen as a James Franco project, I think that the black-lash against him due to the accusations is the reason he didn't receive a nomination.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  16. Oatsdad

My nearest Regal had "Roman..." longer than most - must've played there at least 4-6 weeks. That Regal gets a high percentage of African-American moviegoers, so Denzel Washington movies tend to play longer there than they might elsewhere...

17. True, but I think Sestero makes his genuine like for much of Tommy's personality quite clear. For every time he calls him out on a lie or on some bad behavior, he also takes note of his real friendship and Tommy's better qualities. It's a pretty brave book.

18. He was really good in 127 Hours.

19. Oatsdad

Yup. Franco is very hit or miss, IMO - sometimes he can't help but show his disdain for the material - but he was terrific in "127 Hours".

He really should've won the Oscar for that one...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  20. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

What an overrated flick. Franco does a very passable imitation of according to movie a pretty dull guy. His brother has all the charm and presence of a cereal box and is SHORTER than James.

Oh well, the movies a bore.

21. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Too much wind. You’ll blow me away by god!

22. I enjoyed the movie. Both Francos did a good job with their roles. Even the small roles, like Seth's, were done well.

23. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I finally saw The Disaster Artist a week or so ago and really enjoyed it. It was interesting learning things about the making of The Room and th life of Tommy Wiseau that I never knew or would ever have expected. Any glimpse into that guy’s mind is fascinating. It also works very well as a comedy and is frequently hilarious.

24. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

Franco didn't capture the really odd and unsettling creepiness that is Tommy Wiseau.

25. Oatsdad

What the heck does Dave's height have anything to do with the movie's quality? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.