50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Sounds like the mono mix will be on DVD and/or BluRay exclusively.

2. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

Binni and tinnox like this.
  3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Or a download... although Mike did say "CD space" and not "disc space," and he's pretty careful with his words...

4. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Oh, you're right about that but in fact I was talking about CD's since the person for who I answered back was telling we don't need more CD's with the Stereo and Mono, but your observation was awesome

5. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I agree but my son had a great love of music from a very early age. Obviously music was always in the house which contributed greatly. He has done the same with his son who plays keyboards to an excellent level. My son`s favourite album, yep, you guessed it `The White Album`!

I don`t disagree with anything you say @ParloFax, I also come from a working class family. In 1968 I was 18 years old and working in coal mines as an Apprentice Electrical Engineer. I was also `daft as a brush` as they say around here but like you say you turned into an adult fast. I was married at 22, played bloody havoc with my record collecting so I had to work lots of overtime! When I said that I`m still 18 in my head I mean it but that`s as far as music is concerned.

vitorbastos123, tinnox and ParloFax like this.
  6. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Genuinely curious, are you an 18-year-old? As a millennial—albeit an outlier that lives physical releases still—I can say that almost all the young people around me absolutely adore music. They find concerts to be a beautiful communal experience, they follow artists’ careers all the way through. Perhaps the artists that most on this board are so quick to write off because they don’t fit the guitar-bass-drums format. And yes, millennials love The Beatles.

Their focus may not be on physical releases or box sets, but that’s because the industry has undergone several shifts in the years since the majority of members of this board began enjoying music. But to deny that millennials love music, or, worse, to accuse us (as people have done in other threads—not aimed at you), of destroying the music business, is ridiculous.

(As an aside, since I’ve read lots of folks dismissing millennials on the board, it’s worth noting that more often than not, millennials are reacting to the world that was built around them as they were growing up, not actively destroying any industries. Or if they are destroying industries, they haven’t come to me to brag about it yet. As user said in another thread—“How can we destroy so much but still be so lazy?”)

7. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Way past 18...(59). I remember being 18 and music was the most important thing....it was my reason for working. Cars and other "stuff" was all secondary. My dad thought I was nuts for spending 1000's on stereo equipment.
    It's probably where I live (mid Michigan)...and the circle of people around me. I apologize if I came off rude.

Bern

8. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I think millennials do love music, but in terms of maturity, they believe their emotions overrule truth, logic, reason...If something is unpleasant we used to "put on our big boy pants" and deal, while they think anything unpleasant is "anxiety" and "unfair." It is called "infantilism" and it is facilitated in schools. This is the first place I've ever read or even heard of the opinion that today's 18 year olds are more mature. It surprised me.

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

There are MANY 18-year-olds who have a huge love of music. Do they experience it the same way you do? Perhaps not, but music is huge in the lives of many teens/young adults.

10. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Let me tell you, it's always REAL productive when older people start talking about the behaviors of younger people. Pay attention people, the thread is getting serious now. Incredible life lessons to be cherished forever incoming.

11. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

i agree

tinnox likes this.
  12. Sean Murdock

Unless we have any sociologists among us who can present actual data about how much millennials love or don't love music, we're all just speculating and/or passing on anecdotal evidence from our own lives. So with that caveat, here's my observation: It seems to me that music is more omnipresent than ever before -- but less cherished by younger people. I have a 20-year-old and a 16-year-old, and they both love music, but neither one of them owns any CDs. The older one used to buy music from iTunes (years ago when he first got an iPod), but now streams or listens to the radio. The younger one likes a lot of music, and listens more critically/curiously than the older one, but he experiences music very passively, listening to whatever I'm playing or whatever happens to be around him. I've made mixtapes / CD comps / playlists for them their whole lives, and waited for music to "click" with them the way it did for me (when I was about 10!) ... but it never has. The idea of "owning" music -- let alone PAYING for it -- seems quaint and odd to both of them; to them and their peers (my observations only), music is just "there" whenever they want it, but not something to deeply engage with or participate in.

And for the record, I don't blame millennials for "destroying" the music business -- the music business did a fine job of that all by itself. It would take a whole separate thread that went deep into the history of greed, blindness, customer abuse and foot-shooting to properly assign all the "blame" for where we are now. But certainly, when music lovers a half-generation older than millennials (think high-school-age when Napster happened) discovered that you could have all the music you wanted for nothing, they leapt over the ethical conundrum it created with dizzying ease and made the millennial position quite understandable.

jmxw, jlf, Grant and 5 others like this.
  13. Sean Murdock

Sarcasm noted. But a reminder: Old people made and raised all those younger people, and have spent 20+ years with them by the time they start their inevitable journey of becoming "older people" themselves. Even in our encroaching senility, we might have noticed a few things along the way.

jmxw, NYMets41, richierichie and 2 others like this.
  14. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

:blah:

Did I miss something? I thought this thread was about the White Album, and not the behavioral capacities of 18 year old music listeners as interpreted by forum members.

:crazy:

BeatleJWOL, nasa09, ODIrony and 7 others like this.
  15. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

I checked in to read about the White Album, but I must have clicked on the wrong link!

A discussion on the youth of today, sigh. Will never end well. Fact of the matter is, our youth was not spent in these times, with the influences these youngsters have had, the technology, the life outlook nor the history (i.e. lessons learned). We cannot compare our own childhood with theirs as the differences are so great.

People talk about the whether there is an immaturity in the millennial youth because they express their feelings, often conceived as being negative, more openly than we have in the past. Another way to look at it is the mature thing to do IS to express your feelings, be they happy or sad. Too often people bottled up emotions to their own detriment.

Getting this back (slightly) on topic, when you actually think about it the fifties onwards began a new outpouring of emotion through pop music, vastly different from the generations before. All we are seeing now is an extension of these emotions being recognised in the people who grew up listening to the music that has been made since then.

(For the record I was born in 83, so am likely classed as a millennial, although perhaps the oldest of the generation)

BeatleJWOL, tinnox, jlf and 3 others like this.
  16. Grassy Sound

tinnox likes this.
  17. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

It was me who stated that I thought 18 year olds were more mature today and although this is an interesting subject we are going off topic, so for me it's back to the White Album...

I've read some reviews of the book since @Grassy Sound mentioned it. The writer David Quantick I have often found to be a smug b##ta#d but and the reviews back my opinion up but being a contrary b##ta#d, that's me I'm referring to, I've ordered a used copy very cheap. I think I'm becoming obsessed with all things White Album! :help:

tinnox, NYMets41 and Bern like this.
  18. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I found your post interesting and relevant.

richierichie and tinnox like this.
  19. Grassy Sound

The reviews surprise me somewhat, especially in their suggestion that the author expresses disdain about much of the album. In fact, he makes it clear that it’s his favorite album of all time, by anyone.

richierichie and tinnox like this.
  20. Mr. Nastey

Mr. Nastey Forum Resident

I bought it when it came out. I like it. Quantick can come off a little smug at times and opinionated, but it's still a decent read. He has a section on the era, what the cultural and political situation was like at the time of recording and release of the album. Mostly it's his opinion of the tracks which he goes through one by one IIRC (it's been a few years since I read it; I'll have to dig it out soon and read it again) but it's still interesting.....a little like some threads here where people talk about why they like or dislike certain songs/albums. I seem to recall he's a fan of "Revolution 9", but I might be mistaken since it's been awhile. Not the best book I have read on The Beatles, but definitely not the worst.

tinnox likes this.
  21. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

For anyone interested, here's a story from Ken Scott's book Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust about the recording of "Back in the U.S.S.R.":

"By the time 'Back in the U.S.S.R.' was recorded, Ringo had temporarily quit the band. It wasn’t that he was in the studio and stormed out, it was more like he just didn’t turn up one day. The sessions were undisciplined enough that whatever any of the others felt like doing at any given time is what they did, so he never knew if he was going to be playing or not. He didn’t feel needed or wanted and he was tired of waiting around, so he just decided not to show up anymore.

I don’t remember the incident being spoken about too much at the time, and the whole thing was treated just as a 'Ringo’s not here today' kind of thing, so we just carried on as usual. We recorded the basic track of 'Back in the U.S.S.R.' first with Paul playing drums, George on lead guitar, and John on bass, but there were parts of Paul’s drum track that just weren’t good enough, so we recorded a second drum track. This time the drums were played by both George and John at the same time on the same kit, one of the playing kick and snare while the other played the cymbals and toms, or something like that. Between the two tracks, we got one solid drum track, so we mixed them all together and that’s the drum track that you hear on the record. I never got a chance to record Paul playing drums well, although I know he did do it on a few of the songs on the album that were recorded outside of EMI.

In the end, Ringo returned a week or so later, and George had the entire Number 2 studio decked out with flowers and a banner that said, 'Welcome back, Ringo.' He was happy to be back, and they were extremely happy to have him back."

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  22. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Task: Create the weirdest, least commercial single disc version of the White Album:

Side One:

Yer Blues
    Wild Honey Pie
    Why Don’t We Do It In The Road
    What’s the New, Mary Jane
    Rocky Raccoon
    Helter Skelter
    Long Long Long

Side Two:

Bungalow Bill
    Glass Onion
    Don’t Pass Me By
    Honey Pie
    Can You Take Me Back (original length)
    Revolution 9
    Good Night

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  23. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Funny sight.

tinnox likes this.
  24. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

What does Mike Carrera know about Sour Milk Sea & White 50th

mikecarrera and tinnox like this.
  25. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Nothing much happening here so thought I'd post this - birthday card from John to Pattie circa 1968. Wonder how George felt about the five naked John's on the card!

[​IMG]

tinnox likes this.