Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got my copy the other day. The studio tracks intended for his unreleased Mercury album are decent but nothing really special, on par with his ABC recordings from a year or two prior. The live recordings comprising the bulk of the running time are awesome though. This one really tears down the house:

2. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

melstapler likes this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The webpage link that you posted specifically mentions that it is a CDR,

When you see this citation, as on that page, that is what it means.

"manufactured on demand" means CDR. It is authorized and licensed.

CDRs can also be made in a factory, just with different media and different machines.

From the amazon weblink you provided:
    Product description
    Product Description
    [Note: This product is an authorized, licensed CD and is manufactured on demand]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  4. Svein Arne

Sorry for my mistake.But you have to search,look hard for that infomation.It should have been easier to read about what it was.:disgust:

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Your comment is true. Sometimes when you see a very obscure title being reissued as new, one that is in low demand, you might suspect this is the case. They do not highlight the information.

They also do not add the warning, which I think should be added:

"For those few collectors who actually want this item, we know you will be unhappy that this is not what you call a real CD. You may wish to return it, so that is why we charge you the price of a real CD and do not offer full graphics."

melstapler likes this.
  6. Svein Arne

Why is this song not included in the big Gene Vincent box?o_O

melstapler likes this.
  7. Svein Arne

There are many CDs i have bought i would like to return to Amazon.But postage and handling is more expensive then what the CD is worth.It got worse Donald Trump raised postage handling for us that does not live in USA.:realmad:

melstapler likes this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Postage has gone sky high for everyone, but your comment is certainly fair.

Now that mail order has replaced local shopping everywhere, the shipping costs have escalated to the point where it is killing all commerce. I bought a CD from a European dealer last week for $2 equivalent, and the shipping was $12. I did buy it because it is a scarce disc.

When I buy CDs in local used shops it is almost as if they are free, because the CD costs less than the cost of local shipping alone.

melstapler likes this.
  9. Svein Arne

Gloomy times a head for music collectors:shake:

melstapler likes this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I ordered 5 mini-LP CDs together in one order from a Japanese dealer (not through Amazon). The shipping on one CD was going to be $8, so I ordered a batch figuring they would bundle them and with a light weight pack (mini-LPs are light!) they would give a break on shipping. This was the type of dealer who would send you an invoice with shipping costs. They charged $40 shipping.

Never again.

They are killing commerce.

melstapler likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Back when shipping a CD was 99 cents, I ordered on-line because it cost me more in gasoline to drive to a music store

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  12. Svein Arne

Another one missing in big box:
    Gene Vincent - The Rose Of Love
    Somebody been drinking in the making of the box?:shrug:

melstapler likes this.
  13. Howstean

Howstean Well-Known Member

If you mean the Bear Family box set, the title is The Complete Studio Masters, 1956-1971; one of the two titles above was recorded in Ron Weisner's apartment, 1264 Hayworth Ave., Hollywood, CA; the other is unknown, possibly not a studio, but clearly not made available to Bear - both released on a Rolln' Rock LP. See Praguefrank's discography.

melstapler and Martin Byrne like this.
  14. Svein Arne

Thanks for information.:tiphat:

15. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

I had a visit from a friend today who was in awe of the first two Doris Day box sets and has asked me to obtain them for him ...it's magic and secret love anyone got any leads on good deals ...thank you for any help ..cheers

baptistbusman likes this.
  16. Svein Arne

maloney likes this.
  17. maloney

thank you cheap ! but it has no box , will put the deal to my friend see what he thinks
    thanks for the lead

18. Svein Arne

Sorry i did not read that:doh:
    I wonder why there is no picture of good looking Doris on cd covers?o_O

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think there were many non-studio, non-commercial recordings not included in the Bear Family box. This is the case for many artists covered by Bear Family, which generally covers commercial recordings, though they have included some non-commercial recordings

20. Svein Arne

Lots of CDs have been released after the Bear box containing recordings not done in regular studios.
    The same goes for Jim Reeves.

21. Svein Arne

22. maloney

I once heard that a Bear Family Boxed Set of Bobby Darin's Capitol output was coming soon but never heard anymore about it , I got the excellent Bobby Rocks Single Disc. but wonder why the project never came to fruition. Anyone know why the box never saw the light of day ?

23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely ripoff worthless CD-R garbage.
    Definitely. Rollin' Rock is an excellent record label and Ronnie Weiser has remained active. I encourage everyone to visit the Rollin' Rock appreciation thread:
    Rollin' Rock Records - from music magazine in 1969 to record label

24. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.
  25. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Latest Bear Family acquisition is When a Guitar Plays the Blues by Roy Lee Johnson. Contrary to the title, most of the material is early soul or transitional R&B. Johnson's biggest claim to fame is writing and singing the original version of "Mr. Moonlight" which is better than The Beatles' cover but still not a favourite of mine.

The most recent tracks on the CD are from his 1968 Muscle Shoals session and include this near-perfect southern soul record:

The Killer and melstapler like this.