Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You really shouldn’t believe everything people tell you. Even those who supposedly are in the know. And especially things which defy logic and fact.

e.s. and NaturalD like this.
  2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why not NOS of original pressings - including black and gold label Please Please Me’s - while they’re at it? :targettiphat:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    StateOfTheArt likes this.
  3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Do you even know how the analog recording, mixing and mastering process has worked for the last 60+ years?

Easy-E likes this.
  4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Whatever...

5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Kinda hard to believe that when we’ve seen pictures of Steve with the master tapes.
    Or were they just for show?

e.s. likes this.
  6. I don't believe everything I'm told, quite honestly, and very little I'm reading on here! But why should the statement that digital has existed since the 60's defy logic? The process of inventing and refining CD started in 1969 as did digital recording.

7. How do you like the -4/-3 compared to the 1969 UK?

8. I think the point the people I was talking to were making was that digital recordings have existed a lot longer than we might realise. Yes, of course, there were tapes at one time but maybe not as many recordings as we might think were made using tape.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Perhaps, for starters, because the processing and memory required for digital audio recording at anything resembling studio quality would have been beyond prohibitively expensive in the 60s and 70s?

Most “improvements” in audio recording (as with many things) are not to make them better, but to make them cheaper and easier. Digital recording in the 60s or 70s would have been neither cheaper nor easier.

And that’s just one logical fly in the ointment. Bottom line...your sources are blowing smoke up someone’s rear end.

10. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I have a 4/2U pressing from 1976, cut by HTM. It's really nice and was under $50.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No, many of us are actually familiar with the history of digital recording. And it’s been going on for how long we think it has.

Analog reel to reel tape was used virtually exclusively for professional music recording from the 50s thru the 70s, still predominantly through much of the 80s, and even a quickly diminishing degree in the 90s. So if by “one time”, you mean the better part of 40+ years, yes you are correct.

12. Except that professional digital recordings were being made in the early 70's and sold commercially. Few admittedly but they exist!

13. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I feel very lucky, I got mine about a year and a half ago, with tax and shipping it still came in below the list price.

• January 1971: Using NHK'S PCM recording system, engineers at Denon record the first commercial digital recordings, Something by Steve Marcus and The World Of Stomu Yamashita by Stomu Yamashta. [3]
    • 1972: Denon unveils the first 8-channel digital recorder, the DN-023R, which uses 47.25 kHz 13-bit PCM resolution and 4-head open reel broadcast video tape recorder.[3] The first recording with this new system is the Smetana Quartet performing Mozart's String Quartets K.458 and K.421, recorded in Tokyo April 24–26. Several other digitally recorded LPs follow.
    (excerpt from Wikipedia)

Uglyversal likes this.
  14. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

It's also possible that your copy was pressed in 1975. The -4 side 1 was cut by HTM on 31 Oct 1975 according to the master tape box.

The -2U side 2 is not a HTM cut, though. It's a much earlier recut done by someone at Apple (probably by Malcolm Davies, the original mastering engineer, or his apprentice, George Peckham).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  15. Very few.....and this was the first major label release: 1979
    Bop Till You Drop is Ry Cooder's eighth album, released in 1979. The album was the first digitally recorded major-label album in popular music. Bop Till You Drop was recorded on a digital 32-track machine built by 3M.

16. I know, I bought that not long after it came out. It sounded incredible then but not so much now! As my post #1914 shows though there were other digital recordings pre-dating this album by as many as 8 years.

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Why don't you start another thread on this as you are way off topic.

SteevG and marcb like this.
  18. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

This thread has officially jumped the shark.

SteevG and e.s. like this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes there were handful of corporate financed R&D classical music projects which did get released. I didn’t think commercial digital recording capability just suddenly and miraculously dropped out of thin air in the late 70s. In fact, digital recording concepts actually go back well before the 60s.

But that’s all irrelevant to the demonstrably false, illogical and nonsensical assertions 1) no reissues have been cut from analog tape in 40 years and 2) DAT and digital have been used since the 60s so some of the much talked about master tapes are a figment of the collective imagination.

The fact is there have been and continue to be reissues cut from analog. Not many these days, of course - for a variety of reasons - and not enough in many people’s opinion, but they can and do happen. And they were certainly still the standard in the early-mid 80s before the Vinyl Dark Ages.

The fact of the matter is that 99.9999999% of the professional recordings made before 1978 were not digital - and still a significant percentage well into the 80s. And a high percentage of those analog tapes (as well as analog tape copies of those tapes) still exist (in varying degrees of condition of course).

20. The Beatles mono LP's are still currently available...........
    There!

marcb likes this.
  21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes, you’re right. Sorry.

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Which ones? And where?

marcb likes this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It officially jumped the shark long ago.

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why don’t they just reissue them? It’s not fair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.