Amazon Wants Me To Pay Them 29.99 A Month To Sell Cd's On Their Site

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Malina, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malina

Malina Forum Resident Thread Starter

I listed a cd on Amazon and there was a Seller Poll on my seller home page. They want to know if I would consider paying them monthly to list on what I believe they called a "limited" number of SKU's. I used my 200 or so characters to tell them they're doing it wrong. They blocked me from "Popular Products" and now they want to charge me monthly. Their fees are already ridiculous - a box set for $132.99 and they take $22.74 - that is not an unsubstantial amount. They kicked off most of the sellers including me and I never had a problem. Now they're crawling back to get some revenue from us. Sigh. I'm considering sending them a letter giving them some advice instead of the distributor invoice they want from me to sell.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    crispi likes this.
  2. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Unfortunately amazon is going downhill fast in all areas. They used to bend over backwards and treat customers and seller better than any place. Now that they are huge, have all that money all that power, taking on all the delivery companies and everything else they have their hands in... The decline has already started, they seem not to care anymore. Shadow of their former selves in my opinion. Aside from deals on records I have no use for them anymore. In 5 years I hope they have fallen a lot further. They are closing the gap between them and other companies QUICKLY but going the wrong way. I got in one last time in May for prime at 99 and that will be the last year. In the past 12 months they have gone downhill FAST.

3. Malina

I've had very few dealings with Amazon direct. I don't like them and I don't like the idea of them. I pretty much use them for out of print cd's from third party sellers. I had 389 purchases in 2015 and 51 purchases this year, so I'm winding down my interactions with them. I'll pay a few bucks more to avoid Amazon, but if they have a really good deal I will cave in and use them.

4. Malina

5. Malina

This is interesting. I have one of these to sell so I did a search. A bunch of results and the listings are marked as "Sell yours" or "Listing limitations apply". There are 3 sellers with new sets starting at $235.12 and I can't list a new copy? From what I gather, Amazon's algorithm is not very good. It should distinguish between new copies and used copies - with rare OOP items there will usually be only a few new copies for sale or none at all. I'm blocked from many listings where there are no new copies and I have one. An item can't be a "popular product" if there are zero copies available - that's stupid. They should be running their numbers for new and used separately and each should have their own assessment as to whether it should be categorized as "popular" or not.

Amazon Sign In

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Buying from third party sellers has to be putting way more money in their pockets than buying from them direct given the very high fees they are collecting from third party sellers.

Here is my best guess what will happen in years, they will have calculated the impact of losing all these third party sellers vs keeping the major labels happy. Based off that they'll either continue what they're doing or try to gain back third party sellers by lifting restrictions. If I'm understanding you right they are already back pedalling by offering you to come back with a paid account. Maybe they will go one step further in the following years and make it like how it used to be.

I say this because their quarterly reports are very detailed and they know how to follow the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.