Article: Drake breaks Beatles record with 7 of the Top 10 songs on Billboard Hot 100 chart*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosto, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I think he's related to Donald Duck.

Joti Cover and EddieMann like this.
  2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

No, go back to your 60's/70's bubble, trust me, its were you belong. Put on a Beatles LP, light a joss stick and everything will be ok again.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  3. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Whew! That was close there for a second.
    Let me know if I get out of line again, will ya? :biglaugh:

grapenut, SirMarc, daveidmarx and 5 others like this.
  4. EddieMann

You can care or not care at your discretion. I'm easy to get along with. :love:

grapenut, theMess and lightbulb like this.
  5. EddieMann

Seems like I ruffled a few feathers...AFLAC!

Joti Cover, BPMC, theMess and 4 others like this.
  6. bosto

bosto Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry I wasn't accurate in the title. My bad on that. Still, chart dominance in 2018 is a lot different than 1964.

Peachy likes this.
  7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Doesn’t he make ... Cakes ?
    :goodie:

Joti Cover, SirMarc and Paulette like this.
  8. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Anyone with kids will know that Drake is incredibly popular. I can’t stand him, but that is beside the point.

9. zen

zen Senior Member

What's Drakes most melodic tune? You know, something the public can sing decades from now.

10. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

He has over 40 platinum to multi-platinum singles, so I'd imagine quite a few of them. But as far as a generally 'melodic' song, 'Hotline Bling' is up there since it's pretty much just a standard pop tune - I must've heard that one well over a hundred times in 2015-2016 as it was virtually everywhere for a while. He's decently versatile as an artist and has had elements of more standard hip hop, r&b, and trap.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    goodiesguy and zen like this.
  11. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

Diminutive British comedian with a cheeky chappy everyman persona. 'You Never Know ' is a really great song, written for him by Peter Gabriel.

12. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

AFLAC?... Another Free Lossless Audio Codec perhaps?... :)

Leaman and EddieMann like this.
  13. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Even being less popular, Jesus wept ...

14. nickg

nickg Forum Resident

Take Care is pretty solid. One of my favorites from Drake. Produced by Jamie XX, featuring Rihanna. Though the Drake version is a sample itself from the Jamie XX Gil Scott-Heron "I'll Take Care of You" mix, with rihanna replacing Heron's vocals. But nonetheless it's very catchy. Hold On, We're Going Home is another good more R&B track.

15. zen

zen Senior Member

I must be super old. I just heard Hotline Bling and your quote seems...misleading.
    Is that how kids would define a standard these days? Interesting.

DHamilton and Hoover Factory like this.
  16. teag

teag Forum Resident

Wasn’t he mentioned in a few Seinfeld shows? He sings?

EddieMann likes this.
  17. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I sampled one of Drake's newest singles in the last week. I think I'm stating this correctly...that he used the N word 3 times right at the beginning...within the first 15 seconds. Is this obligatory for a rap/hip hop hit these days? If he didn't do it, would he have less street cred? About 4 months ago I heard a teen playing Rap for about 30-45 minutes. Most of the songs had the N word...repeatedly within the same song. I know there's lots of reasons, etc. But has it become obligatory, cliché, and rote? "Got to put some N words in." Or is it still meaningful and relevant.

Anyway, who has more street cred now, Drake or Lamar?

I actually thought Drake's hit a few years ago about...you never calling me on the cell phone...was very good. One of the best modern songs I've heard in the last 5 years.

He's taken a different approach lately. He was getting slammed on social media for being weak compared to Lamar. But now is he suddenly strong and champion over Lamar? Is the real Drake coming out? Or just making market adjustments?

Not pitting the two against each other...but interested in comparative analysis and other analysis...

18. The ‘old geezer’ forum of the internet. It never disappoints!

19. It amazes me that despite Pusha T straight up bodying Drake, he manages this

angelees likes this.
  20. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I have no idea who he is. I’m serious. And I really don’t care to know.

Yes - that makes me an old geezer yelling at clouds and I’m fine with that. It’s far, far better than being an old geezer trying to stay hip.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  21. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

Spotify had Drake featured everywhere last week. He was their Recommended artist, so f you were listening to any genre, or randomly streaming you got a Drake song. That was borderline payola, and no doubt it had an impact on the charts.

BluesOvertookMe and angelees like this.
  22. EddieMann

Now THIS is a good answer.

23. EddieMann

Coffee cakes to be precise.

Mike Visco likes this.
  24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Covered in cellophane.

25. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

Actually no, 150 is more accurate.

It used to be

1500 streams = 1 album purchase
    150 streams = 1 song purchase

However, for the week that Drake released, those were changed. I believe Billboard now requires 3750 free streams or 1250 paid streams for one album purchase for their Billboard 200 chart. I think the formula is a bit different for the Hot 100. RIAA probably uses something a bit different too. However, we've reached the point where most streams now come from paid users, so it does come down to roughly 150 streams for 1 song sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.