Second hand vinyl - are prices for classic rock going up, down or flatlining?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by back2vinyl, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Had an interesting experience yesterday. I had gone to a huge yard sale 3 years ago and an elderly couple told me they had hundreds of LP's...old ones but they weren't out for sale that day. So, they gave me their number and said to call them later. As I'm walking to the car with the husband he says...I want to sell them but she keeps hanging on to them. I called 2 or 3 times after that sale and always got the wife who seemed very distrustful of me...why do you want those records...they're worth a lot of money aren't they. I told her I didn't know unless I saw them. She would always put me off and I never was able to see those records.

Back to yesterday, I go to an estate sale near their house and see the husband who tells me that his wife has passed and did I still want to buy those records. I say sure and as we're headed to leave the wife of another record collector approaches the guy and says...well, my husband is a record collector too, he'd like to buy your records I can call him and he'll be here in 15 minutes. I'm looking at her like...you got a lot of gall lady. I didn't want to create a scene so I kind of nudged the situation along by saying to the record owner....do you want me to ride with you or follow you in my car. The lady persisted a bit more wanting to know what kind of records the guy had and I was about at the tipping point of telling this lady to butt out, I'm the one who knew this guy and contacted him first. We escape her as she's calling her husband to tell him about this big record stash that he better come and see. So, I was under some pressure to get to this guys house before Abner Kravitz arrives. We get there and yeah, he had hundreds of records if you count all the Reader's Digest box sets with 10 LP's of Big Band or Mellow Moods or whatever junk was there. I bought 1...yes, that's right.. 1 LP a sealed copy of Midnight Cowboy soundtrack. As I
    was leaving here comes the rude ladies husband screamin' in in his big SUV. I just gave them one of these:wave:. So, that's how intense it's
    getting around here on the record hunt. On a side note, the old guys grouchy 40 something son was there and he had a stack of classic Rock away from the junk LP's and he says to me....those over there are mine,touch them and I'll kill ya.

2. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

omg what an awful experience. I had a few back in the day, like watching a fight break out while one person starts going through a box while someone else is going through it...I mean, really it doesn't get much ruder than that....glad I don't really care anymore, my house is starting to buckle under the weight of around 25-30k pieces, my serious era was 70's through 2010 or so for hardcore collecting.
    Readers Digest box sets...hahahahaha

3. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I never buy in charity/thrift stores, I find it depressing

e.s., Tommyboy and bootbox like this.
  4. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

It seems to me that there are still plenty out there … local market here has an excellent record stall with prices from £5 or so. Of course there are certain sought-after records that cost more but plenty of good deals.

Tim

5. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

What's nice in my area is I keep managing to find really awesome rare stuff for reasonable prices. 2018 has been a parade of UK Beatles records, German Vertigo Black Sabbath LPs, 1st 3 Doors albums gold label Monarch first pressings, multiple mint rare Darkside of the Moon records, original early Grateful Dead pressings, early Rush pressings, desirable Led Zeppelin pressings. It blows my mind the stuff that I find at the record stores near me. Yes I pay for it, but almost always below what I believe the market value to be.

6. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

That guys story reminds me of this story that happened to me.

About a month ago I was in a Salvation Army Thruft store. I looked through the records that are 99 cents, same old crap. Only thing decent was a John Lennon Live in Toronto 1969 LP. I have a minty one at home along with several imports so this copy that was not even playable was something I left behind. Only thing I had in my hand to purchase was a cover only of Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet. I had the record at home so it was perfect. Suddenly this guy some sprinting over to the records grabs the John Lennon record like a animal and starts digging through the records for more potential eBay flips.He then realizes it’s all crap and sees The Rolling Stones in my hand. He starts to give me a dirty look. Finally a little while later I’m looking at the CDs he finally says to me:

Is that Rolling Stones in good shape?
    I tell him “yeah it’s minty” haha
    He goes “Oh man this John Lennon is all scratched up”

“Sorry man”
    And I walk away laughing to myself.

Cronverc, Doggiedogma and vinylbeat like this.
  7. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Yikes!! I'm honestly surprised I haven't run into more people like this. There was one maniac who put me off of going to Estate sales a few years back who would complain to the sale runner if you tried to look at a record in the 5th box while he was still on the first, but most of the few fellow collectors I've had to share boxes of records with have been gracious and friendly. And I rarely see other record squirrels at thrift stores, only casual browsers. Maybe I'm not hittin' it hard enough!

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Me too. I find digging through crates depressing. I’ll just go to my local shops every month or so and buy online.

9. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I visit my favorite local shop every week for new releases and always find at least something of interest in the used new arrivals bin or on the wall. There’s a constant influx of new used stock, and I see them pricing used buys all the time.

When I have time, I hit other stores in the Portland area, or even drive up to Seattle, and spending a day hitting multiple shops is always time well spent. Location obviously had something to do with it, but there are still plenty of records out there in shops. Sometimes they’re bargains, sometimes they’re priced at a premium, but they’re still fun to look for and I’m always excited when I find something on my want list.

10. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I still always look in the charity shops. But to be honest my ‘want list’ is no longer that long. Yes there are some catalogue holes to fill, but most of those I know I am very unlikely to fill by chance and therefore need to use Discogs. I have most of the main items in my collections of the artists and labels I really want - 4AD, Factory, 80s and 90s Indie, ambient stuff, cool classics etc .

I find I often buy LPs for the fun of it rather than a desire to actually listen to them - which feels a bit mad.

ODShowtime likes this.
  11. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

The sad part of the increasing prices is there on records that look really used not very good.
    Where have all the mint records gone.

12. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Either they've all been opened or people are holding onto them. Probably both.

13. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I actually find the ending of the story to be quite comical. Here's this guy, probably sitting on the can, gets a call from his wife, and he shows up to see a bunch of stuff destined to go to Goodwill.

eddiel, ODShowtime and Cronverc like this.
  14. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

late 80s Rap/Hip Hop albums , are thru the roof-you can not price them high enough , if they are nm- or better condition

e.s. likes this.
  15. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

I was in Windsor, Berkshire today (you know, where the Queen has a castle). Strolling through Daniel's department store I noticed they have several racks of used (surprisingly no new) vinyl! This is a little bizarre, considering they don't sell anything else used. Sad to say, it's mostly junk that they stock, at massively inflated prices - thrashed out copies of The Joshua Tree and Beatles LPs for £16, Led Zep, Floyd, Joy Division in similar condition for £20!

I did manage to unearth an 'EX' condition of a UK pressing of Jon Anderson's "Animation" for £5 amongst the rubble, however. I was happy enough to pick that one up.

zphage likes this.
  16. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Hmmm been in Daniels 100s of times and not seen the vinyl - admittedly not been there for a while. Is the vinyl rack in the musical instrument section upstairs? Was it really that bad? Berkshire has a deficit of record stores other than the OK one in Reading. In the Groove in Henley is my most visited, but the prices has rocketed there too.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Wow. You live in a tough town! lol

I never had violence threatened towards me but I did go to this one guys house and looked through about 1500 records, box after box. Great titles, but my excitement disappeared quickly because every single one I pulled out was trashed. Covers were ok but inner sleeves gone, every copy, no inner sleeves. Vinyl were scratched. So disappointing. But the guy was a good guy and we chatted while I went through them all. I didn't have the heart to tell him they were all garbage but they were.

zphage and Fender Relic like this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

As for the original questions...some are going up, some are going down, some are flatlining. I see other genre's getting more attention these days. Someone mentioned hip hop earlier, but a lot of 90's stuff is very expensive, punk and punk like stuff is also going up.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  19. tensummoner

tensummoner wish i had a nickle.. thats it just wish i had 1

yep. its people joining the game but really not knowing the value that is the problem. both a blessing and a curse if you ask me. I tried to help a few understand pressing etc and they just look at me like im just trying to shake them down or get it cheaper. what can you do? fleamarkets are probably the best and worst . find 4 different kinds of sellers. its the slightly informed stubborn but overall clueless flipper thats the problem in my opinion... "This record has such and such on it" yet the cover is torn or has water stains and they want $15.. haha good luck on that

20. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

One of the reasons I can't buy 2nd hand vinyl is honestly because they're kinda gross... seriously, just browsing through them, I feel like I have to disinfect and wash my hands thoroughly. There's like this gross film on my hands from touching these old record sleeves - even ones that aren't in too bad a shape. A lot of them were in somker's homes, so they can smell bad too. Very few to none used records are in acceptable condition to me. Which is why I prefer new and repressings of classic albums to buying vintage ones.

21. Shak Cohen

Yes it's upstairs, alongside the musical instruments.

It's Felix likes this.
  22. Shak Cohen

There's actually a few nice records there if you don't mind a rummage, like the Jon Anderson LP I bought. Near Mint Ry Cooder records can be had from £4.

23. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

It is time that used record stores get a wake-up call. Consumers need to send the message that the single most significant variable in pricing used records is condition. Used record stores are now pricing totally based on title and not condition. They are doing this because consumers are purchasing ridiculously bad condition vinyl for their absurd asking prices. The same goes for failed audio reissue labels like Friday Music and 4 Men with Beards. Every time a buyer tells them that their inferior product is worth $30, it encourages them to further release great titles with inferior sound. The consumer has the power to demand better and we settle for crap.

There are three factors that will determine the long-term value of your record collection:
    1. Condition, condition, condition
    2. Original pressings from the country of the band's origin. First pressings from other countries will also be collectible but have less value.
    3. Reissued pressings that stand-out because of superior remastering and improved audio.

When the fad is over, only records in the above listed categories will continue to appreciate. Your third pressing of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin or whoever in marginal condition will be worth pennies on the dollar. If you are building a record collection - aim well because you hit what you aim for.

gss and Shak Cohen like this.
  24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

True that, but, many will clean up nice with a little (or a lot) TLC. I can't stand the moldy/musty smell but smokey can sometimes be a nice odor if it's from a pipe smoking Capt. Black man. Dryer sheets,Clorox wipes, erasers,Sharpies,and good old sunshine and fresh air can help with the covers. The vinyl needs a different skill set and accessories to do a good job. I bought a rough thrift 50 cent Kind Of Blue and gave it the ultimate clean and sold it a few years later for $100 so I never pass up classic titles. I'm listening right now to a Music From Big Pink that I rescued from a hideous thrift place. It needed all kinds of clean up and gluing on the cover although the vinyl wasn't too bad to begin with. I'd grade it a solid VG or better now. Going new is OK if you have disposable income but I'm a street fightin' man and like the hunt and rescue too.

kohoutek, hominy and ODShowtime like this.
  25. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

In some cases, sure. That is not applicable to all stores.

I love seeing the f-word on this forum. I'm not sure which you're talking about – record collecting in general or the ongoing resurgence of vinyl sales – but neither qualifies as a fad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.