The Beatles Yellow Submarine (Film) Returning To Cinemas July 8, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Very cool!

I was sitting in the lobby waiting for my buddy, and momentarily wondered if anyone else from the Forum was there (now I know). When I picked up my tickets, the kid told me it was sold out. Had no idea they added another theater, but that was great for you.

Next time there's a Beatle movie at that theater, I'll look for you : )

mrjinks and EddieMann like this.
  2. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I'll be the one wearing a Beatles t-shirt. :D

mrjinks and HarvG like this.
  3. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

A pretty good sized group (12? plus whatever girls were around) of us sophomore fellers went to it in HS. Being pretty much the lone Beatle fan out of the group, I was kind of dreading the potential reaction and, sure enough, there were a lot of "this sucks" and "when does it end?" comments. Afterwards, the bashing continued, with the lone defense thankfully coming from the kid I most expected to brutalize it. Naturally, the group as a whole placed much of the blame on me personally.:rolleyes: (To be fair, a portion of it was being "buddies" by piling on me.) Needless to say, not the most fun cinema experience I've ever had.

It was a lot more fun 4-5 years later at the "Bijou" in college. This time the "altered state" crowd was very enthusiastic.

mrjinks likes this.
  4. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

5. Probably should have passed on this thread then :tiphat:

6. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Just sayin... you’ve been warned, it wasn’t that great when it first came out and it’s still pretty lame

bradman and AnalogJ like this.
  7. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I had a T-shirt 30 years ago that had a Butterfly Stomper on it, and the only words on the shirt said: "Stomp Out Fun."
    I gave it to my daughter 20 some years ago, and she still wears it as a nightshirt.
    Your post reminded me of it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    numer9, Jack Lord, smoke and 4 others like this.
  8. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

That’s a shirt I would like to have.

ConnieGuitar and dewey02 like this.
  9. I first saw it when it came out when I was 14. Loved it then and the other fifty plus times I’ve seen it.

It was very different for animation when it came out in 1968. A variety of styles.

My son watched it growing up in the 90s and 2000s and he enjoyed it and it was one of the things that inspired him to become an illustrator and animator.

10. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  11. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

My daughter would gouge your eyes out if you tried to take it from her! :)

Electric Sydney likes this.
  12. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I would never, but my searches are yielding no results. (I could get a mini Apple Bonker though).

13. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

While the artwork on the Tee shirt was quite good, I don't think that this was an official Apple product, just a knock-off by some creative T-shirt company.
    I, too, have googled trying to find an image of it but came up empty.
    Next time I chat with my daughter, I'll ask if she can take a photo of it. It is likely pretty threadbare at this point in time.

14. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

So... we have a visual arts page for threads like this one.

Having said that, I saw it in NYC area in a sellout crowd, and it was awesome

15. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Thanks for your input. It really helped shape the tone of this thread. :rolleyes:

numer9 and mrjinks like this.
  16. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Saw it last night. And it is truly amazing to me, how unprofessional and bad the sound quality was. Restored?! Really?!!! It was better in 1969 when I first saw it, seriously. And to think of the money and effort and blah blah blah that went into this 50 year money grabber. Geez. And in a real movie theatre. What is also amazing and incredulous to me, is that no one else is commenting on this. Or perhaps I have missed those comments? It just goes to show you how manipulated we are nowadays. The dialogue (speaking portions) of the movie were very very slight and hard to hear. Underwhelming. I even told someone in the lobby to turn it up, and they did a little bit, but nowhere near where it was comfortable to hear. Completely unforgivable, in this day and age. 5.1? Restored??!! Geez. The songs themselves were fine, but the dialogue was pretty much non-existent. In relation/proportion to the music, dialogue is under-whelming and not there. Simply bad. Probably 20 or 30 year-olds working on this, knowing nothing about sound. Anyway, just had to relate my experience. Same as 5 or so years ago when they re-released it then, too. I saw it in Santa Cruz.

Socalguy likes this.
  17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Perhaps it was your movie theater?
    When I saw the Ron Howard film (an alleged "concert" film) the theater I saw it in had the volume at a very low level.
    Really? A movie about Beatle concerts at a low level? The Shea Stadium bonus was at the same low level. Very disappointing. If this YS movie is the same mix and 5.1 as the BluRay, the sound should have been much better than you experienced. I suspect your movie theater is the Blue Meany in this instance.

18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Y'know, I hadn't seen it since my parents took us kids to see it in the theater. I saw it at a local theater. I appreciate that they brought it in. I'm glad I saw it, but....

Aside from the groan-worthy puns and some terrific art design, this isn't a great movie. I find both A Hard Day's Night and Help! much more fun and worthy of repeated watchings. That the actual Beatles only appear at the end of the film to lead a truncated sing-a-long version of All Together Now doesn't help.

Socalguy likes this.
  19. Yellow Submarine received widespread critical acclaim. Released in the midst of the psychedelic pop culture of the 1960s, the film was a box-office hit, drawing in crowds both for its lush, wildly creative images, and its soundtrack of Beatles songs. The film was distributed worldwide by United Artists in two versions. The version shown in Europe included an extra musical number, "Hey Bulldog", heard in the final third of the film. For release in the United States, the number was replaced with alternative animation due to time constraints. It was felt that at the time, American audiences would grow tired from the length of the film.

On Rotten Tomatoes, the film currently holds a 96% approval rating based on 49 reviews, with an average rating of 7.8/10. The website's critical consensus states: "A joyful, phantasmagoric blend of colorful animation and the music of the Beatles, Yellow Submarine is delightful (and occasionally melancholy) family fare."[15] On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 78 out of 100, based on 17 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[16]

andybeau, xilef regnu and Dinstun like this.
  20. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

But the songs themselves were fine. The dialogue not. The speaking portions should have been mixed louder. So, I think it was the entire mix that was wrong. The relationship between music and dialogue is incorrect.

21. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

I managed a seat near the center of the theater and the sound was perfect. The dialog, which I usually have difficulty hearing, was load and clear. Even with the accents, I caught most every word. There was no problem with the mix.

22. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

There are going to be times when we can't wait for somebody. You're either on the sub or off the sub.
    -paraphrasing Kesey

xilef regnu likes this.
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

78%. That's sort of a B-.

If you can find the original New York Times review from 1968, they generally pan it.

It's not without its pleasures, but the charm of The Beatles, themselves, individually and together, is generally missing.

Seeing Hey, Bulldog, my favorite number from the album, was cool to see, not being in the original US version.

24. Yeah I get. From a Beatles fan perspective it slightly misses for some. I was and still am a huge Beatles fan but along with the love of them and their music, I also came at it as a big lover of animation and for someone like me, it is a huge success. A perfect blew of late 60s POP sensibility...

dewey02 and Monasmee like this.
  25. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I loved the song as a toddler in the late 60s. So much so, my mom bought me on of the YS Corgis- $1.00 at Macy's. I left it at the playground! :(

The movie was on TV all the time in the early 70s and I would always watch it. Quite frankly, it scared me. Too cool for my young tastes.

But as time went on and I became familiar with the Beatles and other things, I grew to love it. This will be my first time on the big screen. Can't wait.

ohnothimagen and kronning like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.