New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

A Certain Softness I like, it’s a pretty little song.

It use to remind me of a downy laundry detergent advertisement. Little did I know before the Freshen Up tour

Frank likes this.
  2. paulmccartneyistheman

I feel though sometimes Paul doesn’t focus enough and songs seem not well baked. Like some songs from Driving Rain. But with NEW I feel like all the songs were fully realized.

3. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

To some degree true, but otoh, people are plenty violent on their own. I doubt politicians make it worse as much as reflect society.

4. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

I hear ya. I think it’s definitely a pretty good album, with good moments (Early Days, Alligator) and certainly the songs are more complete than some of his material, but it doesn’t scream “Paul!” to me and borders on over produced, which takes away from my enjoyment. It might be that when Paul over cooks a song and under cooks a song it is a similar underlying problem: he’s not fully feeling it so he and/or producers over correct or under correct.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  5. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

New is my favorite album by Paul since Flaming Pie. The variety of sound helped that album for me. I fear that having just one producer and Paul playing most of the instruments himself on this upcoming album will hurt that variety of sound.

6. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

I accidentally discovered a very very interesting listening experience in my Paul playlist on shuffle My Valentine -> Come On To Me -> Band On The Run -> I Don’t Know. I think it’s really good in this order.

7. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

True. Also, people who don't know crap when they see it. Funny.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  8. paulmccartneyistheman

I think you meant fans of Driving Rain ;)

(Those were only jokes, I absolutely respect opinions of others. :wave:)

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Ok, I had listened to the new songs a couple times casually, not paying too much attention.

Tonight I sat down and listened. Especially listening for things referenced in that Rolling Stone interview.

Come On To Me:
    The harmonium [i think?] that comes in at 1:33 and the Danelectro definitely are interesting [different] arrangement choices, and definitely McCartneyesque.
    The horns are nice and tasteful. They make me think he should consider using a live horn section again.

I Don't Know:
    Mellotron [flutes setting].
    The piano intro is very melancholy. I would love to hear that it ties in to the end of Station I and hope that is the case, as we have been lead to believe these are tracks 2 and 3.

Both do feature some harmonic shifts that I would expect from classic Lennon/McCartney [or Harrison for that matter] tunes.

I am very very psyched to hear the rest of this album!

PS, for those preordering the Target special, it looks like if you add another $33.01 dollars of merchandise the shipping is free. I found that out by accidentally preordering 3 copies... :angel:

10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Reminds me of how John chimed in with some backing vocals on a song Paul wrote for Sgt. Pepper... :tiphat:

Bemagnus likes this.
  11. Paulwalrus

I quite like Freedom. Whatever one might think of the perceived politics of it, I enjoy the song as music and performance. A solic song imo.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    theMess, Johnny Reb, RAJ717 and 3 others like this.
  12. Paulwalrus

I don't mean to say I don't like the lyrics btw.

13. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

Love that song.

theMess, Johnny Reb and Paul H like this.
  14. When The Monkees released "Good Times" I found this annoying as well. So I found them on YouTube and converted them. yes, it wasn't as good as owning it on CD, Vinyl or an HD download but it bugs me when artists do this and I rebuy things when they reissue them with bonus tracks, etc. but I'm burned out on this crap. Put it all out there.

15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Lookin at her is-imo-true McCartney magic. From the gorgeous melody to Pauls delicate vocals to the explosive Im losing my mind part this track has the quality-dare I spell it out-not only of Wings but of the Beatles.Add to that some modern elements and it s pure pop heaven

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Many of us here seems to be on the same line about Pauls not convincing efforts of doin political or peace anthems. Maybe thats why the title People want peace creates some worries.He has actually done one very good such song namely Pipes of peace. It might be a bit over the top but has a truly lovely melody. I really like that one.
    People want Pipes of peace
    :)

17. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I am very glad to say that I'm not one of those people. I like...
    Give Ireland
    Looking For Changes
    How Many People

I think all three are very good songs, and I think they get their point across just fine. Would absolutely love for McCartney to perform all of them.

18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

What is to expect and what is not to expect from Egypt Station based on what we now have information about. It s not an easy question but if I speculate some
    What to expect
    1 A very well crafted album with a vague concept-sort of a trainride between different themes and musical style
    2 A caleidoscopic very diverse collection of songs that ranges from a simple acoustic song to a seven-minute multi tuned epic
    3 Paul doin much if the instruments himself and the band on some tracks including the seven-minute epic
    4 Some very spare arrangements,some with more grandiose orchestrations
    5. A willingness to experiment with unusual instrumentations
    6. Given the time and effort it seems to be an unusually ambitious project
    7, The album starts and finish with instrumentals-one featuring a choir recorded in a cathedral
    8 All song but one uses the same producer might add to the vague concept
    9. One peace-anthem and hints of some political message in the epic closing song In spite of all warnings
    10. Pauls best album since New

What not to expect
    1. Paul singing with the range and power of old
    2. A new Sergeant Pepper or Band on the Run
    3. A multimillion seller
    4.A lifechanging experience
    5 The end of the world as we know it
    6. The cure of cancer
    7 Songs of the same status as Hey Jude or Maybe In amazed
    8 A punk-rock album
    9 A new Bip Bop
    10 An album that everyone here will like

:)

19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

How about salamanders or dustbin lids?
    And in some cases the songs are fully baked, just like Paul!
    One more time:D:
    [​IMG]

20. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

What about "People Need Sarcasm"? I'd be great on that one :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  21. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

I don’t know if someone has mentioned it but there’s an harmonica on Come On To Me. It can easily be Wix.

theMess and FKA002 like this.
  22. verjan2

verjan2 Active Member

Hey folks, please don't be off the given thread! This is about Paul's new album. So don't infest it with anzthing else.

Peter_R and klaatuhf like this.
  23. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I think you're 655 pages too late for that...

24. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

25. There’s also an “I don’k know” CD promo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.