Sasha Baron Cohen's New Undercover Show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

2. hbbfam likes this.
  3. Mazzy

There are several teasers floating around and that article sneaks it too... It you've seen his other projects then your probably can guess. :tiphat:

4. pez

pez Forum Resident

I'm watching the Ali G reruns. Absolutely brilliant

5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Blair G. and Mazzy like this.
  6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

He pretended to be a wounded veteran

Sarah Palin rips Sacha Baron Cohen for tricking her into interview: 'HOW DARE YOU' - Washington Times

“For my interview, my daughter and I were asked to travel across the country where Cohen (I presume) had heavily disguised himself as a disabled US Veteran, fake wheelchair and all,” she wrote. “Out of respect for what I was led to believe would be a thoughtful discussion with someone who had served in uniform, I sat through a long ‘interview’ full of Hollywoodism’s disrespect and sarcasm — but finally had enough and literally, physically removed my mic and walked out, much to Cohen’s chagrin.​

Fvck that POS

SandAndGlass, Rhett and jdlaw like this.
  7. "'Every honorable American Vet should feel the same,” she wrote.'"

Thus says Palin.

You have to be dumb to be duped.

So, pray thee, what is a dishonorable American Vet? I mean, she makes a distinction that an "honorable" vet should feel outraged. If you've got a DD on you, I guess that's okay.

I don't know. The guy is British. If he were American I might feel different (maybe). As is, though, if he can get away with any of that stuff, I say well played.

It reminds me of that show where they go around asking American citizens simple US history questions and 80% of them don't know 1776 from 1946.

Who are these people? Well, they are the people who get suckered into Cohen's trap. Fair game. Evidently some of these suckers hold public office.

8. Mazzy

Loving this.

9. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The OP correctly states: not for everyone
    The only thing of his that I found somewhat funny (and gross) was The Brothers Grimsby

Mazzy likes this.
  10. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I agree.

I'm not down with a lot of his humour -- the shock value gross out kinds of things -- but duping idiots is fair game. It sometimes makes for some of the funniest bits around.

We'll see.

mikeyt likes this.
  11. Mazzy

Imho almost everyone he dupes deserves it. Yes there are some innocent casualties along the way but I love his balls when his knocks down those to act holier than thou.

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I smell a guy who's out of ideas. He might as well be Jimmy Fallon LOL.

13. We'll see.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think he's funny, but for some reason the Ali G character did nothing for me. That must be a British flavor. Borat was brilliant, Bruno not so much. I agree, that's the crappiest trailer ever. I doubt most people will even recognize Dick Cheney without his glasses. I heard Cohen makes him sign an all-in-one waterboarding kit. Now that's funny!

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  15. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

An all-in-one waterboarding kit?!! I'm in -- at least for that episode.

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Sacha Baron Cohen is a talented guy, but he needs to start diversifying his career. The law of diminishing returns applies to these kinds of shows (cf. Dennis Pennis, Trigger Happy TV), and SBC’s attempts are getting progressively weaker. I know he does the odd film cameo and voice work, but it’s time for a complete change of direction. It’s a shame the Freddie Mercury thing didn’t work out for him; I could actually see him pulling that off pretty well.

17. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

No , he is one of the few originals . Go Borat !

18. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I enjoyed Ali G and Borat. Nothing since then has caught my imagination in quite the same way. I think the general public tend to agree. YMMV, of course.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  19. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Why can't I find this show? The teaser says it premieres on 7/15, but I can't find it on FiOS (their guide usually goes a week in advance, nor can I find it on the Showtime website.

Edit: I was searching on Showtimeanytime.com and couldn't find it there, but it is on sho.com. Wonder why FiOS doesn't have it listed yet?

20. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

This will be good.

21. hubertfarnsworth

hubertfarnsworth Forum Resident

I can't find it on my channel guide either :confused:

22. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

I don't know. I couldn't see him pulling off Freddie Mercury.

Hopefully this'll be worth watching. Seeing idiots get duped is always funny.

23. It will be a cold day in hell when I take advice from SP on how I should "feel" about anything. So says this "honorable American Vet".

24. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Count me in! In a world where protesters are increasingly being arrested, humor and music continues to prevail. I recently saw ***** Riot, and as with Cohen, there is a message. It is interesting how Vietnam protest songs once hated are now generally accepted as classic rock. I am definitely in the camp of, if the artist has something to say, I'll listen.

jamesmaya, Henryflowr and Mazzy like this.
  25. Well, you're right. The thing is, he could only pull that Ali G/Borat shtick for so long before people started catching on. By the time he got to Bruno he had to go deep into Europe and it wasn't as funny (it's kind of a humorless part of the world, Eastern Europe).

With this new show, however, at least from what I can tell so far, he's figured out a way to up his game. Therein should be the difference in his newist bid for popularity. I would imagine his disguises would have to be better, and it takes much more planning.

So, yes, you're right, the general population has ceased to care, but if he pulls this off, as his choice of victims seem to indicate, then he might be relevant again as an entertainer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.