George/Paul dust-up during the Get Back sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Does that make it anything better or even more legal? A sad tendence.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

No, I'm on your side.

mark winstanley and MHP like this.
  3. bjr

bjr Senior Member

I think Paul's piano and bass are almost as important. The piano intro is such compacted genius.
    Edit: looks like on 5th on the ball on this one :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Paulwalrus and theMess like this.
  4. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I have yet to see any images of George congratulating Paul after a concert. The only concert of Paul’s the George attended was in 93 and have yet to see any pics of that. Paul and Linda were in disguise at George’s 74 concert at MSG, not Bangla-Desh

Paulwalrus likes this.
  5. bjr

bjr Senior Member

True, Harrison had to wait. He didn't like it, but we who got Paul's magic on his tracks do.

theMess likes this.
  6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

And if memory serves George criticized that McCartney concert he saw in '93 as being "too long". Sorta ruffled McCartney's feathers a little bit...

Like I said, sometimes these guys could dish it out to one another but couldn't take it, even years after the breakup of the band...

7. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Just as we who got George's magic on Paul's tracks do also :D

theMess and Rfreeman like this.
  8. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Umm...yeah. Well, Paul's shows are immensely enjoyable, so it's George's loss. I think George was only happy when he had something to complain about, and even then, he wasn't!

9. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

IMHO George never reconciled the whole Beatles thing with himself. To celebrate it was to accept his secondary role. Yet rejecting it or playing it down was to diminish his best work.

10. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Paul had every right to make those comments to George. I'm not going to defend George on this matter one bit.

Paul became the 2nd producer in the band not only because he was the most "together" musician in the group, but the other guys - with John's lead - decided to pull back a touch and not give the effort that they probably should have been giving. Paul wrote that song, Paul should have notes on what to do with it. And if he doesn't like what someone is doing, he should say so.

Yes, Paul is probably a pain in the ass to work with, but so are most other people that go against the grain of what is expected from people based on job/position stereotypes (musicians are supposed to be chill and relaxed, right? WRONG. That's not how you get work done.).

And look, I get that George was coming into his own, but Paul was already there. Take a cue, George. It's okay. It's about the bigger sound of the record, not the egos of those involved.

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

These guys really should have made a band together. Maybe work in John who had some dynamic charisma and energy to add even when he couldn't be bothered to work out a real intricate part on anyone's songs but his own. Then throw in an Atomic Beat and these guys could really do something :)

blutiga and majorlance like this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I have listened to every minute of the Nagra recordings from the sessions multiple times and even devoted a lengthy thread to discussing and analyzing them track by track. Author Rfreeman and title including Nagra will find it if you care to search it out, but I really am not commenting based on just 1 comment or even just on the film.

Paulwalrus, DTK and theMess like this.
  13. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Please see video evidence at post 111.

14. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

That's been grist for a jillion different threads here. Levon was retroactively trying to apply modern rules, where someone gets a credit and points in the publishing if they add half a line or a guitar lick, to a situation in bygone days where those rules didn't apply. Plus there's been much documentation since ... by his pal Larry Campbell for one ... that Levon wasn't diligent or serious enough about songwriting to actually sit down and compose a song from start to finish.

Levon was also pissed that Robbie broke up The Band and that he "went Hollywood" (like Levon himself didn't). I think that's one reason Robbie gets blasted by folks, compared to Levon who was just a good ol' boy from Arkansas who liked to jam. But yeah, Levon was just burning with resentment against Robbie, for no really good reason IMO.

ohnothimagen and DTK like this.
  15. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

RE>George's guitar playing, IMO he was a superb guitar player but it simply wasn't his deal and wasn't his inclination to try to keep up with the guitar Godzillas who had begun prowling the landscape in the late '60s, which Macca and Geoff Emerick (who is brutal to George in his book) had become enamored with.

DTK likes this.
  16. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

He did play it down though. There is a mid 70's interview were the interviewer was asking about a Beatles reunion (and about the success of the Dark Horse tour) and he says no and, iirc, calls it kids music and they can go and watch Paul for that. I can't find the interview but there is a reference to it in a John interview from '75

Q: "George told Rolling Stone that if you wanted the Beatles, go listen to Wings. It seemed a bit of a putdown."

Paulwalrus likes this.
  17. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

George actually played on the Imagine album so they were good up to that point. And even though they supposedly got cross when John refused to do the Bangladesh concert without Yoko as George wanted, two years later they were in the studio together working on a track for Ringo's album, and John came to see George's solo tour concert at Madison Square Garden in '74 and met the press with him afterward.

Who knows what actually happened to cause the breach, which was cemented when John got royally pissed that George didn't mention him in "I Me Mine" the book.

18. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I know. He played it down constantly. Such was the paradox of George and the Beatles.

I have no doubt he resented Paul the most. But Paul was also a soft target. If George had said half of those about John, he would have received brutal retaliation.

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Maybe Paul wanted George to not “complicate” the bass part on “Two of Us” because he realized that it was going to be one of, if not the most memorable melodic bassline in Beatles history? George’s bass on the released version is already quite complex; didn’t need any more.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  20. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

t
    Didn’t George see Wings on tour in 1976 with Ringo ? I think that he commented on it at one point.

21. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

But yet at the end Macca was at the hospital literally holding George's hand as George told him "I'm not going to be there for Christmas this year," and was seen weeping bitterly as he was driven away.

I've got two brothers. We fought like rabid animals growing up. We still get cranky with each other in our dotage. But we're there for each other when it counts, and the fighting and crankiness is just noise in the grand scheme of things.

22. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

No doubt. None of those guys hated or even disliked each other. They simply had different agendas.

The Beatles' legacy was a paradox for George. Because of this, he had to constantly play it down or even attack it.

theMess likes this.
  23. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

I'm sure that is not entirely true, there will have been times (even long periods) when they did dislike, even hate each other. It is beautiful that Paul and George repaired their relationship, twice it seems as they mended fences in the late 70's only to kick off again in the early 80's, but that is not the entire story.

24. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I think one needs to distinguish between being angry with someone and really disliking or hating them. They all caused each other pain at times and constantly frustrated the hell out of each other.

John was genuinely hurt by George's omission in his book. But I don't think he hated him for it. Had there been more time, I would think they would have talked it out. John's mention of it in that interview was probably the first step in the process, but he died not soon after.

Compare them to members of CCR, who probably really dislike each other.

25. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.