Happy Days (ABC tv show)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I couldn't tell you anything more specific, but I do recall a very late "Laverne and Shirley" episode, possibly from the time when Shirley was gone, where Laverne made a joke about the space shuttle...in 1965.

I haven't seen it since it aired but I often think of a similarly late episode where Laverne sets up an obstacle course or something in her apartment so a ghost could win a medal. Even at 9 or 10, I thought that it was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen.

I barely remember any particular "Happy Days" episodes but I remember totally blubbering when I watched the last episode. I had never known life without it!

2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Like I said, however, there were 3 Chucks. More Garry Marshall accuracy.

3. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Ted McGinley, the patron saint of jumping the shark. When he joins your show, the clock is about to strike midnight. (He also played Jefferson on Married with Children).

I remember the commercial for the episode where Richie punched Fonzie. The announcer said something like, "Does this mean an end to the friendship of the decade?" (Millions responded: "We just want it to be the end of the show!")

BluesOvertookMe and eddiel like this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I was born in 76, watched the show when I was very very young. I remember watching the final episode. I was too young to be a fair judge of quality, but even I sensed something was amiss after they rebuilt Arnold's and turned it into that...thing. That was the shark jump for me.

BluesOvertookMe and MikeInFla like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

6. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

At the time, that was That Guy from Bosum Buddies Fights the Fonz.

aoxomoxoa and Daniel Plainview like this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Thats another show I loved as a child.

8. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

In some United States island territories, that show is known as "Breast Friends".

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I remember liking the first couple of seasons then the Fonz took over.

10. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Garry Marshall said he could have done the original wonderful show and been cancelled or made it into a crappy show and lasted for 11 seasons.

11. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

What does a character from Little Rascals have to do with Happy Days?

MikeInFla likes this.
  12. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I hated Chachi and Pinky & Leather Tuscadero.
    Curiously, I didn't mind Spike at all. He was certainly preferable to Chachi!

13. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Or around '82 when Fonzie grew a beard and started dating the woman with the daughter. I think the daughter was played by the girl from Poltergeist.

14. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

My season 11 they seemed so out of it and didn't even care lol

guppy270 and Jack Lord like this.
  15. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

IIRC Henry Winkler said at time that he did not want to play the role of Fonzie too long. Yet he stuck with it to the bitter end.

16. jason88cubs

I mean good lord he was 39 when the show ended

The character was around 19-20 so when it ended he was 29 and I mean I hate to say it but having that shtick at 29 is just sad

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  17. jason88cubs

Happy Days just seemed massively dated in teh early 80s.

SHould have ended around 78-79

18. jason88cubs

The Fonz was great in small doses, like the first 2 seasons. He was kind of a quiet guy who didn't need to be there all the time. Then he got way more air time and kinda did some goofy zanny things

19. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

True.

The character of Fonzie always had understated absurdity. He was initially a background character; a leather-jacketed hoodlum who had- big surprise- dropped out of high school and was likely involved in nefarious activities. Then he becomes popular and the network has a problem on their hands: A less than savory character is now wildly popular, particularly among kids.

So Fonzie becomes more respectable. Graduates high school, seduces tons of women, but produces no oow births, lives in the burbs, and seemingly has a savings rate that would impress Mr. C. Yet he never ditches the leather jacket, boots, and ducktail- even when he water skis.

bekayne, KevinP and MikeInFla like this.
  20. jason88cubs

Not sure how accurate this is but I read that the reason the Fonz started wearing a black shirt is because Henr Winkler stopped smoking and gained a decent amount of weight and they say black makes ya look slimmer

21. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

And who’d have guessed that Ron Howard would eventually direct a Star Wars film?

somnar likes this.
  22. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

"The Circle is now complete ...."

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Both ABC's sitcoms and "drama" shows in the 1970s had a sort of tendency to be too "campy" and plus really skimped on "special effects" (to be charitable) so there was a certain "cheesiness" for lack of a better word to describe it in many of their shows, from Happy Days to Charlie's Angels. I did enjoy early Happy Days...I can remember the cliff hanger episode where Fonzi jumps over the barrels on his motorcyle in front of Arnold's. I think CBS and Norman Lear was much more relevant and funnier in those days.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  24. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

Three?
    I'm only aware of 2. Gavan O'Herlihy, then Randolph Roberts.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  25. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Love it that people are comparing Happy Days to Citizen Kane, Schindler's List, or whatever... :biglaugh:

carrick doone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.