Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

okay man, lets get on it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Not in question.

Also not in question.

Not at all, but you said this:

"Someone I know who works in the industry assured me that no reissues have been cut from "analogue tapes" or AAA for close to 40 years! I remain sceptical about the hype and marketing to sell new LP's but this isn't the first time I'd heard this comment made. Someone else who works in a recording studio once told me in passing that DAT and digital had been used for recording since the 1960's so some of the much talked about "master tapes" are a figment of a collective imagination?! Surely not?"

and when @jon9091 responded to that post, "Kinda hard to believe that when we’ve seen pictures of Steve with the master tapes. Or were they just for show?" you replied, "I think the point the people I was talking to were making was that digital recordings have existed a lot longer than we might realise. Yes, of course, there were tapes at one time but maybe not as many recordings as we might think were made using tape."

And that is not what you were saying in the bolded quote.

I get that you're trying to walk back a ridiculous and unfounded statement, but "Someone I know who works in the industry assured me that no reissues have been cut from "analogue tapes" or AAA for close to 40 years!" in no way sounds like, "I think the point the people I was talking to were making was that digital recordings have existed a lot longer than we might realise."

marcb, googlymoogly, Cassius and 4 others like this.
  3. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

There's definitely still a demand for the box set. I recently sold mine with no trouble.

The Beave and Alex Zabotkin like this.
  5. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Apparently Amazon has 1 Mono box set in stock and it's selling for $978.93 presumably USD and it won't ship to New Zealand. Luckily I already forked out for the mono box and won't need to fork out that kind of money.

6. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Nowhere worth it - I would pick up the individual releases on Ebay for that. Buy the book later.

7. Alex Zabotkin

8. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

As did I. 4 enquiries within 12 hours of putting it on Discogs and sold soon afterwards.

The Beave likes this.
  9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Interesting. Someone I know who works in the industry assured me that Elvis Presley isn't dead, and, in fact, he sings lead on about 20% of all hit songs recorded since his supposed death in 1977 (although no rap songs; Elvis hates rap). He also sang a few of the "Paul" lead vocals on albums like Abbey Road after Paul died a couple of years earlier.

According to this insider, Elvis absolutely refuses to record to digital, though, so even though very little AAA has been used since at least 1966, all the Elvis stuff is recorded all analog, always.

Elvis also really dislikes mono, which is why Abbey Road was never issued in true mono: Elvis was only willing to sing on that album if they assured him they wouldn't make a mono mix.

Blue Cactus, The Beave, marcb and 6 others like this.
  10. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

11. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

You did WHAT?

12. Pathetic

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Right? I mean, if Elvis hadn't been so stuck up about mono, we could have had a mono Abbey Road in this Beatles box.

14. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I have several Near Mint First UK presses of Abbey Road. Bought a number of years ago. At various times. All from the same Bricks and Mortar store in England. £10 a go. Some have misaligned apple. Others not. Some black inners. Some white. Why do I keep them? I intend on giving two of them to my sons to keep who both love The Beatles. The others I will sell when my hearing fails me or for other health reasons.

15. Come back when you've grown up a bit. On second thoughts....

16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I KNOW! I have original mono Parlophone releases of all the albums that I like. I did pick up a mono masters though.

17. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

At least he's just joking.

JeffreyB, marcb and Alex Zabotkin like this.
  18. Alex Zabotkin

19. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

20. Alex Zabotkin

21. Time to break up a mono box and sell individually then?

22. Uglyversal

I wonder why such discrepancy with ebay? I know I don't use discogs, may be many ebay users don't know or don't like it but it is certainly selling very well on ebay.

I've been thinking about that for a while, If you sell, Sgt Peppers, Magical mystery and white album it might not be a bad economic move as long as you are happy to see them go. Unfortunately, I didn't buy the whole box, only the individual albums at higher prices, same with the stereo versions. At crazy prices I have no sentimental attachment to them and I can happily see them go.

23. Alex Zabotkin

The White Album is still widely available at normal prices.

OptimisticGoat and StateOfTheArt like this.
  24. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

After reading this thread, a few weeks ago I recently started to call stores around Australia for a Mono Box. Came up with nothing until I somehow lucked out and found only one copy at a JB HiFi that was about to be returned due to damage on the back of the outer promo slip of the box (it was torn). Someone had ordered it but turned it down. The records, hard box and book were fine.

It was originally $575AUD ($425 US) but I got it for $420AUD ($310 US) due to the slip.

25. Uglyversal

Here in Australia if you find it a shop and it is getting very hard to find it just keeps going up in value, even I didn't get it cheap because it was one of my more recent mono purchases. I have not really checked the local ebay so may be I made a mistake and I have overpaid by buying in a shop.

paulisdead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.