Notting Hill (1999)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Funk, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust Thread Starter

I can't say that I particularly liked this film when it was first released. It's taken nearly 20 years, but it seems I've grown to admire and enjoy this quirky flick. What do you think? Let's discuss?

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Wanna buy the Laserdisc so you can have an authentic viewing experience.... ;) I always liked it. My burner warmed up on the first play. It was a funny enough show. I don't revisit it often. It's been some while....

Dr. Funk likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Always remember the Ain't No Sunshine scene.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  4. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Great flick. Julia Roberts is quite amazing in it, and it is a lesson on swallowing one's pride for your own well being.

Dubmart and Dr. Funk like this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Good for selling your house, if you lived in that area that is.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  6. Dr. Funk

No thanks, :laugh: I actually never owned a LD player.....went strait to dvd after vhs.

Myke likes this.
  7. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I would change that experience for the world. Lots of great stuff there, and makes me appreciate the special editions out now that still don't have all the material/education.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  8. Dr. Funk

I really like the soundtrack.....the Al Green (How Can You Mend A Broken Heart) is also a favorite.

Myke likes this.
  9. Dr. Funk

I have a buddy who still plays his library of LD's.

10. Dr. Funk

I agree, I also like Hugh Grant's relaxed acting style....he doesn't try to overplay or force his character.

11. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

In some cases there is a good reason for this. Had I known that so many releases would be screwed up, or in some cases movies never released, I think I would have kept quite a few of my discs. I mean for crying out loud, they didn't take up that much space, and they still looked great (well except for the ones that were laser rotted). One example is Midnight Cowboy, there was a great documentary that still never saw the light of DVD or Bluray, and I know why. A shame though, because it was a candid time capsule with great information.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  12. Dr. Funk

I've actually heard that (extras not found on other formats) from several other sources, other than yourself. I visited my buddy two weeks ago and he was watching Terminator 2 on laserdisc.

13. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I used to have T2 on Laserdisc in several forms. That is one that I believe all were ported over (EXCEPT THE GNR You Could Be Mine music video which has never seen a home video release like EVER!). It was a riot back in the day....

now on DVD and bluray..another story. What is there with all exclusive Extras...Ultimate Edition (2 disc), Extreme Edition (2 Disc), Sky Net Edition, the new Bluray, the 3D bluray, and 4K bluray...every single one having some exclusive extra not on the other and in most cases a lot of them!

The 4K is the only one I refuse to own because not only does it have technical issues, but I prefer 3D over 4K in most cases.

Sorry to go off topic.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Notting Hill (gate)?
    There was a few good record stores there in 1999, sadly they went the way of the dodo.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Dr. Funk likes this.
  15. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I like Notting Hill, but I like every film written by the great Richard Curtis. He also wrote Four Weddings and a Funeral, Love Actually, Bridget Jones' Diary, The Boat That Rocked/Pirate Radio and About Time. All great films. He has a wonderful sense of humor and a knack for writing romantic comedies that eschew cliche and are actually full of likable and interesting characters.

Notting Hill has the nice love story between Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant, but it also has a wonderful supporting cast to give it flavor and life. Rhys Ifans is hilarious as the obnoxious roommate. I also really like how realistically and sweetly the storyline of Hugh Grant's friends (with the wife in the wheelchair) is written. Just a really nice, human kind of film with lots of great British wit and scenery.

keef00 and Dr. Funk like this.
  16. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

You know, I may be in the minority, but I like War Horse.

While I appreciate British comedy feel and he certainly has his flavor, out of most listed, I shy away from that style (and I know he isn't the director, but the writing shines through). War Horse on the other hand was a cut above for me.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  17. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I forgot he wrote War Horse! Yes, that's also a wonderful film in quite a different style from his other work. I thought that story could have been cheesy in lesser hands but with a great script and, of course, Spielberg in the director's chair it was an excellent film.

genesim likes this.
  18. Dr. Funk

I completely agree with you about the supporting cast....too many romantic comedies don't take the time in this area. The way Hugh Grant plays his character really makes this movie shine....an intelligent somewhat underachiever, who is content with his uneventful life along side his clueless flat mate and travel book store employee.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    genesim and Parachute Woman like this.
  19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Sweet lovely movie.

keef00 and Dr. Funk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.