Happy Days (ABC tv show)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Henry Winkler is awesome. Love him in Barry

BadJack and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I was totally OK with this. It did not, however, work in Happy Days' favor.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They would argue if they hadn't switched to a live audience, Happy Days wouldn't have made it beyond a 3rd season. As it was, they went to 11 seasons and 255 episodes, so from a purely financial point of view, they did extremely well. You can argue it was mediocre television and not very funny, but it was a very popular show for many of those years. I was not that much of a fan, but I made a good living on it for a couple of years and the people I worked with (including Tony Marshall) were really nice people, and that counts for a lot with me.

Laverne & Shirley was a much more grim show, and there was a lot of politics, in-fighting, arguments, and grief on that set. Tons of drugs, too. Bad scene. Noted actress Betty Garrett was so pissed-off about the drugs, she walked off at the end of the next-to-last season and actually gave interviews talking about it.

4. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

vinnie, I love your avatar. Big Suzi Quatro fan here.

vinnie and Steve Carras like this.
  5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I, along with all of my friends, watched and enjoyed the show most of those years, so thank you for your service. Seeing the episodes now, it does not hold up as well (what does, really), but I can totally see from a business perspective, and the multi-cam mad 70's, that they had to change the format.

6. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Why was Fonzie so popular? It was amusing that the show made it so but he would not be dreamboat material in real life. Would he?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Me,too..

vinnie likes this.
  8. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Short-statured, Jewish biker chic was VERY popular with school-age kids in the 1970's.

9. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

That’s it!

10. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

As a kid, I thought Fonzie was Italian in the show

11. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It didn't work in the favor of "Odd Couple" either. While the studio audience shows were still very good, the performances became much "bigger" and broader.

Klugman, Randall and the rest were good enough to still be amusing even cranked to 11, but I preferred the lower-key performances of the non-audience shows...

13. Oatsdad

Girls often care more about personality/charisma than looks, so that's the best explanation... :shrug:

14. MekkaGodzilla

What do you know? You probably haven't even tried the new Harvest Pizzeria that just opened in the former Zoë Café!

15. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Never a big fan really. But I never watched The Waltons. And now I do. Must have been missing something.

jason88cubs likes this.
  16. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Actually we have ...outstanding.. Zoe was a downer...we gave it 4 or 5 chances

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  17. MekkaGodzilla

Awaiting your review of Brassica!

18. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

His duality.

He was a tough guy from across the tracks who socialized seamlessly with both WASPs and his own hoodlum element.

He cavorted with an endless stream of women yet was never seen as a cad but rather a class act.

He was a hood who often lived like a choirboy.

And he was cool with a strong sense of morality.

19. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

don't understand why Henry Winkler stayed on till the end. Even Ralph Malph (Don Most) left the series after the 7th season.

20. MekkaGodzilla

You go to work every week with people you know, people you like, people you may even consider your "family" and you are paid well for doing so. How many regular folks HATE their jobs and their workplaces? Not that hard to understand, really.

21. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Ric Carrott played Chuck in the Love American Style pilot.

Larry Geller and vinnie like this.
  22. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Winkler was a character actor, not a natural leading man. Fonzie was a lucky break. Even Tom Bosley had more natural charisma. His forays outside Fonzie before he left the show had limited success. It was the right decision to stick with the character.

Now Anson Williams sticking around, that was pathetic!

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  23. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

ABC had a really good show, American Dream, around 1980 or so, and they didn't know what to do with it amongst all of the crap on their schedule. It was a drama about a family moving back to the inner city in Chicago. They kept saying, "this is really more of a CBS show", but they eventually put it on a few times, not even airing all 7 episodes.

Scopitone likes this.
  24. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

25. Oatsdad

3 reasons:

$
    $
    and $

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.