Article: Drake breaks Beatles record with 7 of the Top 10 songs on Billboard Hot 100 chart*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosto, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Lol. "Wallow." Another one. Talk about culture being "infested" and someone will have a bingo. Don't worry, we see you.

Nostaljack and e.s. like this.
  2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Your dad was right about punk.

colgems1966 likes this.
  3. Kid A

Kid A Forum Resident

I don't get it...

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I know.

e.s. and Nostaljack like this.
  5. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Today's bonus word : coprolites.

D.D.

6. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

Your old man was right. Punk fell far short of the music and culture it sought to replace. All the hate for Pink Floyd but none of those groups surpassed them. And I’m being objective I bought NMTB when it came out. Just a fact.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  7. colgems1966

You see nothing. You’re just some anonymous guy on a message board.

8. Diamond Dog

You know that John Lydon actually liked Pink Floyd, right ? Of course you did....

D.D.

e.s. likes this.
  9. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

The difference being that my father enjoyed artists like Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra, who I also found enjoyable later on because it was truly good music. These are timeless artists, just like The Beatles.

Today's music is just a throwaway, like streaming is. No need to purchase anything because in a year you'll never listen to it again anyway, so who cares? Meanwhile I cannot even count how many times I've played Pepper or The White Album. And everyone, EVERYONE knows who the Beatles are. Drake?? Maybe the teens of course but move up past drinking age and that knowledge probably drops off pretty sharpley.

Very disappointed in these cheap tricks the industry has to use to prop up these artists these days.

rmos, aoxomoxoa and colgems1966 like this.
  10. Diamond Dog

This comment brought to you by : No Sense Of History.

Good lord, man.

D.D.

11. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Darn jungle music, right? LOL!!!!! Oh wait, that's what your parents said about the stuff you liked. I get that you found joy in Nat & Frank later on but at first, you had your thing...and your parents likely weren't fans of it.

Ed

12. colgems1966

That’s not the point I was making. Have you ever read contemporary press reports of the 1976/77 punk scene? It was made clear they were out to replace The Who, Stones etc....
    They failed miserably.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  13. Diamond Dog

No, I stopped listening to new music in 1963. Bunch of bloody racket after that.

D.D.

14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Inasmuch as he recognized that it wasn’t for him? Absolutely. The music, however, continues to have an audience.

You and I are the same age, btw. We clearly had very different experiences growing up.

15. aoxomoxoa

I preferred new wave at the time. Some of those artists matured and actually did something. Elvis Costello comes to mind.

colgems1966 likes this.
  16. colgems1966

Because you’re so cool and he’s not right? You relate to the “kids”. Lol whatever man.

broshfab4 and aoxomoxoa like this.
  17. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

At this point, I'd like to throw another spanner in the works. How, if at all, have barroom jukebox plays factored into the Billboard charts? Not at all, I'm thinking. However, since these are paid plays, they should count. Another reason to discount the official charts.

18. aoxomoxoa

I could give a rats ass if anyone finds me "cool" :laugh:

colgems1966 likes this.
  19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

@Diamond Dog beat me to the point about John Lydon, but it sounds like you didn’t actually understand punk then or now.

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed...

Chuckee likes this.
  21. Diamond Dog

e.s. is pretty cool. Just sayin'....

D.D.

22. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

THIS I totally agree with. I just don't ever want to become close-minded. Closed-minded individuals are the antithesis of cool.

Ed

e.s. and Diamond Dog like this.
  23. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

It's important for some of these peeps to "relate" to the young people. Probably a mid-life crisis was always my guess -- would like to see their streaming playlists and just how often they listen to this so-called music, I bet they fall back to the music of their youth as well and would never ever admit it!

Sear, aoxomoxoa and colgems1966 like this.
  24. colgems1966

A certain amount of close mindedness is actually good sense.
    Would you be open minded to co-signing a mortgage for someone you barely knew?......see what I mean? Entire worlds have been lost in the name of being open minded.

broshfab4 and Sear like this.
  25. aoxomoxoa

I really am not trying to be closed minded. I have heard a lot of this new music. I just think it is awful. My GF listens to "new" country and pop. I just can't get into it.
    There's absolutely nothing valid there. I live and breathe music. I know it's just my opinion, but it's an opinion based on years of listening and following the trends.

anyway, I hope am not as bad as this guy interviewing Rog & Syd :

Sear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.