Article: Drake breaks Beatles record with 7 of the Top 10 songs on Billboard Hot 100 chart*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosto, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Preach! Sometimes, amidst the Led Zeppelin and the Beatles, you get ? and the Mysterians.

Ed

2. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

[​IMG]

pablo fanques likes this.
  3. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

I like ? And the Mysterians

4. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Others have said it, but my only issue with this is how it isn't really an accurate comparison - album tracks being counted on (at least what used to be) a singles chart really changes the entire deal, and renders comparisons to older artists null.

The Beatles would have had what, the top 20-25 slots in 1964?

theMess, bosto, Jerry Horne and 3 others like this.
  5. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

At least Michael Jackson's record with Thriller is safe.... since nobody actually buys albums anymore.

6. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

I had a look at the longest charting songs for each year since 1955, and looks like The Beatles were big right when hits had their shortest chart runs. Chart runs were a little bit longer in the late 50s. Then they increased a bit during the 70s, leveled off a bit during the 80s, increased significantly during the 90s, and then increased more slowly during the 00s. Not sure what the cause of those changes might be but I'd imagine at least some of that has to do with changed in recurrence rules.

bosto and lightbulb like this.
  7. Nostaljack

I'm happy for you (seriously) but "96 Tears" is hardly Walt Whitman. It's not even his brother, Bud Whitman. It's just music you like. It had no noble purpose and little substance. Drake is likely that for the youngins.

Ed

8. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

It's a worthwhile question. There have been concerns about the legitimacy of TIDAL's streams. It's owned by Jay-Z and Beyonce and there were concerns about them reporting fake numbers for their albums. It seems like the streaming services are generally aware of this potential problem and have taken measures to crack down on any suspicious streaming patterns, but it seems like it's still possible to buy fake streams.
    Spotify Plays - Streamify

9. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

As others said, he's already been around for 8 years. The level of success he's achieved so far is comparable to Britney Spears, Eminem, Alicia Keys, Usher and Justin Timberlake from the previous generation, if not greater. Although some artists from that time are forgotten, I don't think those 5 are, some of those have aged better but the vast majority of people will at least be familiar with a couple of their hits.

10. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

His inclusion in that company makes my point entirely.

broshfab4 and DHamilton like this.
  11. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

I wouldn't say that Justin Bieber is forgotten. There isn't the kind of craze for him that there was in 2010-2011 but his 2015 album was still quite successful with three #1 singles, something that I don't think has been matched by any album released since then. He hasn't released an album since 2015's Purpose so that's why he hasn't been in the news as much in the last year or two, although he announced his engagement this week which generated a decent amount of buzz.

12. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The Beatles are forever but a lot of music from that period is just as "disposable" as Drake and current pop music. Oldies in the 60's probably had the same opinion on bubblegum as oldies today have on Drake et al. And by the same token a lot of serious artistic music is still being made - it just isn't as visible as it once was.

e.s., Freedom Rider and Osato like this.
  13. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

100% true. Gorts, let's this baby on a good note!

14. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

I don't know how popular the Sex Pistols were compared to Pink Floyd back in the day, but Pink Floyd is definitely more remembered among Millenials like me.

15. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure he already has sold 1/10 of the Beatles have so why would he?

e.s. likes this.
  16. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

At the end of the day what difference does it make? A lot of people believed we were nuts for cheering four mop heads from Liverpool. Music is subjective. One person's Mozart is another's Kenny G. Records are made to be broken. But I do believe the history books will still be mentioning those mop heads while Drake will be the answer or form of a question on a Jeopardy show. "This rapper was hired by the NBA Toronto Raptors as a consultant and media advisor"

17. Nostaljack

"What difference does it make?...but I'm gonna take a dig at Drake because it really does matter to me". LOL!!!

Popcorn?

Ed

e.s. likes this.
  18. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

:-popcorn::-popcorn::-popcorn:

Nostaljack likes this.
  19. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

I wouldn't call any of those artists forgotten though, even though they're having some difficulty landing hit singles and albums these days. They each have a few hits that have significant nostalgia value for the generation that grew up with that music. They might not be in the news as much but neither is anyone from the 20th century. Anyways, out of those 5 artists that were big 15-20 years ago, I'd say Eminem was the biggest and Drake seems to have achieved similar levels of commercial success and popularity with the latest generation as Eminem has with mine (Millenials). Personally I prefer Eminem and don't see what it is that Gen Z sees in Drake that's propelled him to comparable levels of success, but clearly there is something that they like about him, and he's had enough repeated success that I doubt he's going to be a passing trend like Soulja Boy, Chamillionaire or Lil Bow Wow.

20. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

huh?? Bieber was part of the biggest single , of last year , and it is one of the biggest songs of the last 20 yrs

Memph, SITKOL'76 and Nostaljack like this.
  21. Nostaljack

But he's not The Beatles so he doesn't matter. Please try to keep up... ;)

Ed

e.s. and Gaslight like this.
  22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

This post is a spectacular example of someone throwing their toys out of the pram.
    And people say there's no generation gap anymore, this thread proves otherwise.

Man at C&A, e.s. and Nostaljack like this.
  23. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

I agree with this, though Eminem is more notable simply for breaking ground in the genre. Drake definitely isn't some sort of passing chart sensation, and I think he's at his peak level of fame and marketability right now (and likely will maintain that into the early 2020s). Hopefully he can raise his album game to the same level as his singles - because if he does that, then I think he could really be a great.

24. He's the Bon Jovi of rap.

DHamilton likes this.
  25. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Probably. He sounds like a Marvel or DC villain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.