Parasound Halo HINT 6, new integrated, replacing HINT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TerpStation, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I feel a played a part in this as I coined the HINTO term. lol! Oops. To me, it sounds better and more natural.

punkmusick, Catcher10 and DyersEve726 like this.
  2. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Good to read on the SVS.....been thinking I want to add a sub for music, I don't do HT. But not dual subs, probably just one SB2000 if I go with that brand.

Slimwhit33 likes this.
  3. Catcher10

Hmm.......:D:laugh:
    (I love my OHINT!!!!)

[​IMG]

4. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Only reason I bought two was that the SB12 was discontinued and I got them for $400 each on Amazon. I felt like it'd probably be a while before I saw another deal like that. It's basically in between the SB1000 and SB2000 in their current lineup.

Catcher10 likes this.
  5. Catcher10

Are you using the OHINT crossover or the SVS? Sub Output or the Pre Output (Stereo)?

6. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Thinking again HINTO sounds more like HALO.
    I think I'll change my vote.
    No.
    S**t, too many difficult decision in this life...

7. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

I'm using the HINTO's low pass crossover on the subwoofer out and the high pass filter on the preamp out (which also controls the high pass on the mains). That way, I don't have to run cables out and back. Just one RCA to each woofer and that's it. My only complaint is that anything other than 80hz is difficult to dial in because the dials turn smooth and only click into place at 80. My subwoofers have knobs that have individual clicks that make it easy to know how far you've gone.

8. Catcher10

Trial and error I suppose........Thanks!

9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

HI-5

punkmusick likes this.
  10. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

HINT.1?
    HINT 1.0?
    HINT Mark I?
    The old gray HINT, she ain’t what she used to be??

:biglaugh:

Catcher10, MikeJedi and DyersEve726 like this.
  11. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Moi aussi!

12. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I just scored a used HINTO on eBay for a pretty decent price. This will be my first integrated amp, currently using a Marantz A/V receiver, I’m psyched!

ranch 22b, Kristofa, MikeJedi and 2 others like this.
  13. punkmusick

You're gonna love it.

MattG likes this.
  14. Lebowski

So I have a HINTO floor/demo model for in-home audition this week. Surprised to find that I don’t hear an improvement over my Yamaha.

:shrug:

15. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Lebowski, can you hear a difference between the two?

16. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

That's great news about the Yamaha A-S701, it seems!

Lebowski likes this.
  17. punkmusick

I'm not surprised, a lot of people love these Yamahas

Lebowski likes this.
  18. Lebowski

It’s really hard to say. My instinct is that I don’t, but I couldn’t say why.

The HINTO is obviously a higher priced amp, and I see that mostly in the quality of the binding posts, the MC/MM phono stage (not saying it’s better just more versatile), the use of a toroidal transformer, backlit remote, probably more chassis damping, etc. Also the home theater bypass and bass management features.

Features are all well and good (sometimes great, if you need/want/use them) but I wonder if that’s where a lot of the price difference comes in.

One thing’s for sure: I think the Yamaha is A LOT better looking. :agree:

I’m going to do a little more comparative listening before I return the HINTO but my first impression—in terms of sound quality— is that I might be better off moving up the Yamaha ladder, or even just staying put! (and sticking with my plan to buy new speakers)

Kristofa and Prism like this.
  19. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

How loud do you listen? Try play back as loud as you can stand with Parasound and Yamaha. Any difference?

punkmusick likes this.
  20. Lebowski

Please explain. Why compare at levels so much higher than my usual? Is this a demo strategy that I don’t know about?

21. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Sometimes I like to listen a song or two really loud just for the fun of it. I also typically listening at 80 to 85 db or higher (measured at sitting position). The difference between my class A/AB Parasound A23 vs my class AB Emotiva amp vs my class D Pioneer receiver was noticeable. With my KEF LS50 as sourrond speakers behind me, Parasound was not as fatiguing as the Emotiva or the Pioneer.

Anyway, I have since remove KEF LS50, Emotiva amp, and Pioneer receiver from my setup. I still keep my Parasounds with my Paradigm speakers. Parasounds again is the least fatiguing amps for my Paradigm.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  22. punkmusick

How do you HINTO owners like its DAC?
    I'be been using it since I bought it and like it a lot, but I have no experience with expensive DACs to compare it.

23. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

It was a definite upgrade from my Oppo BDP-93 and Denon DCD-1015, but I only use it for broadcast TV now that I use the DAC in my Oppo UDP-205... which I like better than the HINTO.

punkmusick likes this.
  24. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

I made a new post on this, but then I thought I might have a better shot at reaching the right eyes if I posted in this thread.

I'm only able to get the WASAPI drivers working on Windows 10 with my Hinto. I'd like to try DSD content so I need to get the ASIO drivers working. Everything seems to install fine. I'm able to open the directks asio full duplex setup and it shows the Parasound as active, but no ASIO device is available in my playback devices in Windows. Roon and Plex both only show a WASAPI device. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Anyone get the ASIO driver working on Windows 10?

25. g739

g739 Active Member

Just got a good deal on a new HINTO ($2195) and I'm blown away. It makes my ELAC Uni-Fi UB5's sing. My Peachtree nova150 doesn't come close to this. I was planning to get a Rythmik Audio F12SE sub, but I quickly decided against that when I used the HINTO's tone controls to slightly bump the bass. There's $1000 saved! :)

Really happy with this amp. Looking forward to trying its headphone output.

gakerty and MikeJedi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.